Planning to build my ideal headlamp

I find headlamps extremely useful for work as an electrician, most of the work I do is in poorly lit environments. I use my Skilhunt H03 with LHD351 and anduril at the moment and it’s nice but I think it’s a bit heavy and it is missing some features. I don’t need more than 150 lumens either as I only use it indoors. So I am planning to build the ideal headlamp for my application.

Here are some features I would like to implement:

Lightweight (<50grams)
Nice tint and beam, 45 degree tir optic, SST20 4000k
Infinitely variable brightness
Fast usb c charging
Battery level indicator

I will probably 3d print the housing in petg plastic, similar to the usual plastic headlamp style like the Nitecore NU25 for example. I might add a piece of 2mm aluminum for the rear side for mounting and cooling the led.
I will use a CN5711 (linear constant current) based driver board and limit the current to about 500mA. I will replace the potentiometer to a alps style with built-in switch.
I could add a attiny13 based battery indicator that blinks out the state of charge when the headlamp is powered on.
I still have to decide on the battery, I think 600 - 800mah would be sufficient. There are small quadcopter cells that have high c ratings so I think those would be able to charge quickly without taking too much damage.

Here’s the parts list at the moment.

Looks like a fun project. Why not the LH351D? I think it is a bit more efficient than the SST20 and from Digikey, you can get it in 3500K or 4000K 95+ CRI.

Either way, please update this when you are done. I agree about limited amount of lumens for a great runtime. Unless I am outside, 150 lumens is enough. Maybe if I come from a sunny area into a dark area, I need more for a few minutes, but that is not that often.

4000k LH351D’s are difficult to order with reasonable shipping costs to Europe. I have some 5000k from arrow that I use in my H03 but they are a bit too cool in my opinion. I have some 4000k sst20’s already so I’ll start with them. The LHD351D would indeed be better suited with it’s large die thus improved efficiency.

Looks like a good project!

Since you don’t need max lumens, you may want to consider a 4000K Nichia 219B. Excellent tint and high CRI. One of my favorite LEDs.

I think Sofirn sells 4000K LH351D emitters with pretty reasonable prices/shipping.
They don’t sell them on MCPCBs, but it’s still an option if you can reflow them yourself. And cheaper than other trusted sellers I’ve read about!

“…a bit heavy and it is missing some features…”
Its 1 of lightest headlamps for 18650 and the best host for modding …wondering what futures it missing ;))

Makes sense, and like the other poster said, check Sofirn’s website, they have the 4000K and the 2700K LH351D’s.

I really like your overall idea, simple, light and efficient.

Why do you need a lens? Bare LED will give you a nice wide beam and will save you a lot of space.