Please educate me on Nichia 219 LED's.

With certain reflectors, especially P60 reflectors, it does. The emitters I used were reflowed properly and didn't have excess solder, so that was not an issue.

I haven't done a P60 with them (actually have never succesfully made a P60), but I have put one in both a L2D and a maglite. Both worked perfectly fine. I still have the maglite, but I made the L2D for a friend.

Out of curiosity, which reflector did you use for the Maglite?

Also, how was the beam on the L2D (I assume it was a Fenix L2D). The L2D had an XRE reflector, right?

Mag LED reflector, cut off the cam of it and used it with a H22A LED maglite heatsink. Yeah, it was a Fenix L2D; the beam was decent. It wasn't as high quality as the original beam (due to a larger hole in the reflector than necessary) but it was decent, and it seemed that it was brighter than it was before.

How is the beam on the Mag. Is the beam tight?

IIRC, the H22A mag heatsinks were designed for taller emitters. Were you able to compensate for the difference?

No, it's fairly floody.

Ezarc, care to drop us a pm about this group buy? You have my interest peaked 8)

The top right is a N219 2C Mag driven at an estimated 1.25A from 2xAA, with Rebel reflector. Bottom left is a 3C XM-L driven at 3A, identical reflector. The bottom middle is a stock MagLED 2D with Cree XP-E, which is a common, fairly throwy light. The tint appears considerably cooler in person, especially the N219 SW45 and XM-L 3C. The white balance was thrown off by the very cool tints on the bottom right.

The N219 Mag versus the XP-E 2D MagLED. Color temperature of the 219 is a bit closer to real life, if not a tad cooler.

It actually throws pretty well but as scaru said, it’s not a pencil beam :wink:

Hope that helps!

So basically, you've done two Nichia 219 builds, you did not use XPG reflectors, and you did not achieve a properly focused beam with either.

Rojos, whether you like it or not 219s are a good replacement for XP-Gs. .2mm is basically nothing, and most reflectors don't rest on the substrate for the LED.

It's exactly that kind of mis-information which lead me to make post #14. The height of the 219 IS a factor which prevents it from being a 100% direct replacement with certain XPG reflectors. Especially with reflectors which rest on the PCB.

I'm not saying that it's a factor with all XPG reflectors, and I'm certainly not claiming to be an optics or LED expert. I know that it was a factor with several ready made XPG reflectors which I have tried, P60 size as well as several in the 18 to 20mm range, and that it is something worth considering when doing a direct replacement for an XPG in a commercial light.

Also, you might want to make up your mind:

Oh, sorry I'm not perfect your majesty. I mean seriously, show me one build where it had a XP-G and switching in a 219 made it worse. They work fine with P60s, plenty of people have 219 P60s. And seriously no chinese optics are designed so carefully that .2 mm will matter in the least

But if you're going to give advice, advice which people may use to make decisions, shouldn't you at least have some first hand experience?

And if someone else gives advice, and that someone has first hand experience, shouldn't you at least not say that that advice doesn't matter?

I actually like the 3D tint of the xpg as well as if not more than the 219 tint. That and 1D are my two favorite tints.

I do, what is your "first hand experience"? Until someone can show me other wise I would say it is true, it does not matter. If you believe other wise show me.

I quite like the xp-g 4c, to be honest, more than an xm-l 3c tint.

Plus I like the throw from xp-g’s.

How’s the weather where you are? We’ve got half an inch of snow so the countries ground to a halt.

Funny, I have never actually seen an "XP-G" reflector. I have seen a bunch of reflectors labeled as XP-G and then labeled as XM-L and SST-50 or all kinds of emirtters, but I have never actually seen that the reflector is any different as far as base thickness, or at least in pertaining to the base thickness being an issue with a certain LED. I have used 219 LEDs in reflectors that were for "XM-L" and in P60 reflectors and I have never seen any issue as to the focus of the led to the reflector. I also have never used a reflector where the base of the reflector rested on the led substrate. They typically have to be "lifted off" the led just a little until the beam has the best (smallest and smoothest), hot spot and least amount of artifacts in the spill. I would think that a 219 can be used in any "XP-G" reflector as long as the height of the reflector can be adjusted to bring the led into focus.

Just my limited findings from making mods.

Some reflectors are specific to the XPG/XPE, ones that have a 5mm base opening like these for example:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1617/10001275/1208701-aluminum-smooth-reflector-for-cree-xp-g-emitters

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1605/10002800/1208506-empty-aluminum-smooth-drop-in-module-for-cree-xp-e

[quote=Old-Lumens] I would think that a 219 can be used in any "XP-G" reflector as long as the height of the reflector can be adjusted to bring the led into focus. [/quote]

I think that's true AFAIK. I think you're okay as long as the height can be easily adjusted.

Been chilly lately but no snow except in the sierras. It takes at least a few feet to stop things up there as the plows can keep up with anything less than 6” an hour. The locals use awd and studded ties and laugh at the lowlanders that get stuck in the fancy cars.

Actually there is almost no reflector which rests on the substrate. Not even optics rest on the substrate.. there are usually holders or legs. But as its been pointed out, 0.2mm is almost nothing and pretty much in the tolerance for reflowing an LED onto the PCB.

Reflow with pressure vs. reflow without pressure can make a bigger difference than 0.2mm. I totally get the point of the discussion, because in some cases it matters, but for 9 of 10 flashlights, you wont ruin the beam. Especially with OP reflectors and optics.