Please Help. Overwhelmed by data for budget 30yd airgun light.

I’m amazed at the depth of expertise and experience you guys have on LEDs. I’ve never owned a modern LED torch and I’ve read and read about the multitudes good, bad and ugly lights out there.

All I want is a light to go on my Benjamin Marauder airgun that will let me see a rat at 30yards. No rail and light recoil.
I already have AAs and charger so if I can use them that will be a win.
If the light can double as my normal carry light on non-hunt nights that will also be a win.

I’ve seen plenty lights on DX.com for $12 - $15. I’m handy with a soldering iron so I can ‘fix’ things :slight_smile:

Please recommend something for me.

Do you want a pencil beam/throw , or throw with a hotspot flood?

Throw with a hot spot sounds good. I want to see where the other rats are and what’s around the target rat so I don’t damage anything valuable. Farmers don’t take kindly to pellet holes in their stuff :slight_smile:

Are you comfortable with using a li-ion battery? They also require a separate charger, so that also comes into consideration.

I personally would recommend the XinTD V4, reviewed by Foy here: Review: XinTD C8 SC-82/V4 (3C neutral white)

It has a good balance of spill and throw, and the neutral white tint is pretty good for outdoors.

If you want a powerful thrower, check out the Jacob A60 or the HD2010. The HD2010 might be a tad big for every day carry.

For AA usage, I would also recommend the XinTD X3, featured here: Introducing XinTD X3 XM-L2 3*AA Flashlight

I would recommend the x3, but mounting it will pose problems its dammed hefty that battery tube, its also overkill for an air rifle.

I would recommend a cr123 p60 host with a one mode xp-g2 drop in, it turns out I’ve had a p60 on one of my air rifles for a long time without knowing - it came in a kit with a laser that clamps to the scope, led - ray I think the kit was called, it has an xre dropin in at the moment but I will likely build something a bit more with it when I pick the rifle up from my dads.

The advantage to using p60 hosts is they generally mate with off the shelf mounting solutions so getting it to fit is easy - just buy a scope clamp to suit your scope tube and your away, they are also light so don’t affect the handling of the gun, something important when ratting.

Where abouts are you by the way, the rifle suggests the states but the 30 yard limit suggests 12ft lb to me which suggests England.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi gords

Thanks for the welcome. I’m in Africa, no restrictions on airguns up to and including .22 and moderators on all guns free of license. The 30yard limit is just because I’m unsure of my ability at night. I’ve never seen what a modern LED light can do.

I’m just overwhelmed by all the choice.

Like you I can’t easily recognise a p60 host, seems quite obscure. I’m a fan of standardization and P60 with AA batts sounds like a winner to me. Why do we need so many different types of batteries?

Its night time here and I’ve just got in from outside. I’ve got a monster porcupine eating up my garden and I really need more than a 50 lumen headlamp to hunt the bugger down. Bloomin vermin does horrible damage in a night. I heard him in the undergrowth but couldn’t find him with my Petzl headlamp. I’ll go out again before bed and see if I can keep him out of the veggies.

I’ve recently discovered internet shopping and I’m hooked. Bought the Benjamin Marauder (pistol and rifle) and I’m really impressed so far. My biggest problem seems to be over-penetration, if you are trying to kill something drilling a neat hole through it doesn’t really command it’s attention. I’m thinking of trying flat wad-cutters to shake the critters a bit harder. J)

I’m based in England, we dont get to play with anything over 12ftlb without a licence, I did find though that lots and lots and lots of practice with my rig and the softest lightest pellet paid dividends.

1. I knew how it shot and where to aim (obvious, but it really does work)

2. Lightweight soft pellets fly flatter -easier to point and shoot and they dont penetrate, they flatten and transfer all their energy.

After that, it was just a case of finding the head shot point and getting good at hitting 15mm targets, most things drop with 5.5mm of lead where the thinking goes on.

I’m not well up on p60’s as I dont really like them but whilst I’m not aware of a 3aa/3aaa p60 host, there are a plethora of cr123 hosts that will work with a low voltage drop in (ie 1.2 - 4.5v) I cant suggest a specific drop in but stick to one mode and I would suggest an xp-g2 if you can find one.

The best option is to accept lithium ion cells, get a charger and good cells and high output and good throw becomes easy.