Please recommend a flashlight grease for dummies (ie me)

Also, its advertised for use inside and outside the joint. This makes me believe that it is a dielectric grease where as no-ox-id is electrically conductive. I would like to know for sure though as im looking for this item as well.

I use this stuff:
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/sg7
seems to do the trick.

astroglide works great…

Seriously, my take on this, any lube, grease, oil, etc… will work fine.Just use plenty of it.

The grey/black gritty stuff you see/feel, is not because of the lube, its from not enough lube.
Its aluminum powder that wears off the threads from lack of lube or burrs on the threads.

Now a days most all o-rings are not made of pure rubber, they are most all a synthetic polymer that is impervious to most any lubes or high detergent oils and solvents.
Use to be true that a pure rubber o-ring would swell and then possibly break from the wrong lubricant. That hasn’t been the case for decades now. Synthetic oring materials have higher heat resistance, resistance to abrasion better elasticity, and impervious to many solvents/lubes.

Imo, take everything apart. Must get all the grey/black gritty alum powder off or it acts like a grinding compound multiplying the problem.
Clean all threads, inner and outer, with some brake clean or mild non caustic solvent. Carefully cleaning/getting deep into all threads. Blow them off completely with compressed air. Check threads for any manufacturing burrs/nicks/ruff spots and use a small file or crocus cloth to remove them. Then re-clean threads.
Then lube threads liberally with your favorite grease/oil/silicone. Use plenty of it, especially on the o-rings.

Depending on the type of aluminum of flashlite used, no matter what lube used, probably always will be some grey stuff after continual continued tail-cap removal/assembly. A good synthetic automotive/marine grease might keep that grey/black stuff to a minimum, maybe.

jmo

Honestly I just go to a hardware store and get oatey silicone grease. Says its 90% pure silicone it can get a little runny when warm but works great on the threads Lowe’s home depot etc carry it. The plumbing section of a hardware store has silicone grease of some brand

Sorry, not sure if this has been asked earlier. But does flashlight silicone grease have an expiration date in general?

Also, what storage conditions to prolong shelf life?

I do not believe that grease will “expire”. Remember, though, that grease is an emulsion of oil in a semisolid material (“soap”). If stored on the shelf, most greases will slowly separate at differing rates depending on the formula. It will look like the grease is “weeping” oil. If a significant portion of your stored grease supply is separating, it’s time to replace your stock.

Noalox is definitely conductive. As a long-time vaper, I use Noalox on the positive contact point and negative spring contact on my mod and have for years as directed by the mod manufacturer. It prevents oxidation and arcing in sub-ohm setups. As to its qualities as a lubricant—I just don’t know. Never been applicable to my uses.