Plowed up three Bunnies last night.

The bunnies got their first weigh-in today. The goal is that they gain weight every day.
The best I could do is Goats milk. I tried To find something richer like Zoologic 30/55 or Multi-Milk but they’re not carried by the local Ag stores.

93 and 104 grams for you folks across the pond. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fed and ready for a nap

Soooo cute!!! :heart_eyes:

Whatever happened to Mercurochrome? That stuff was the best anti-microbial ever!
Bag Balm is still the best for chapped lips unless their chapped from licking them all of the time. In that case try a little Cow Manure :wink:

Somehow, over the years, people have just lost their love for mercury. :frowning:

I heard you can still get Mercurochrome in some places. But if you find the real stuff (active ingredient: merbromin), try not to use it too liberally. And not on children. Mercury poisoning from mercurochrome therapy of an infected omphalocele - PubMed

There is nothing more satisfying than letting a semi-auto 12 rip up a field of critters - but honesty, I leave babies alone.
I lined up a possum years back, then noticed it was carrying a bub on its back.
The safety promptly went back on. Mums count too.

Oxymoronic isn’t it. I’ve shot thousands of Jack Rabbits and never felt bad about it but when I ripped these little ones out of the ground, I felt terrible. I stopped immediately and went into SAVE THE BUNNIES mode!

Most of us have the instinct to protect (and like) cute, helpless creatures. Especially small or young ones. It may just be because our own children are helpless, for quite awhile after birth. If we lacked that instinct? Well, then they are just a pain in the neck! Maybe not worth the effort. Those people die off / don’t pass on their genes.

It’s called “Enlightenment”, Killforfood. Own it and be proud of yourself. I’m looking forward to the pictures of them bouncing off into the shrubbery after you wean them.

(BTW, I never really did see your nickname as “kill your food”… I wondered if maybe you were a cocky Contractor! Like, I used to Weld for food, and later I wrote computer programs for food…)

Little things matter

Chillin with my peeps :sunglasses:

The bunnies love to snuggle under warm hands. They are eating better. Today they ate 4 times for a total of 10cc Goats Milk each. My Daughter and Daughter in-law both work at a vet clinic. They brought me some kitten milk replacer. I need to mix it with the Goats milk to get a higher protein level. May also mix in some heavy cream to boost the fat level. Rabbit milk is one of the richest in the animal kingdom so it’s hard to duplicate. The next big challenge will be getting them started on solid foods. I just hope they have enough good bacteria to break it down. If not… They won’t last a day.

Give them dried hay to eat. Hay, not straw.
You can get rabbit feed, it is an antibiotic to prevent infection. Little do them.
There will be no trouble, we are also so we brought a rabbit. Her adult life as a cat hiding you. :heart_eyes:

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the dam? If she’s still around, A: she probably already has more “buns in the oven”, and II: she would probably take these cute kits back & get them ready…

I’d expect her to make the same nesting mistake that brought you and her family together…

Hi westBam,
Their first solid foods will be Dry Timothy Hay and fresh greens from the back yard. I don’t spray any kind of pesticides or herbicides back there so it’s all safe. I didn’t plow all the weeds under so they will have a wide selection to choose from.

She’s been grazing in the back yard almost every morning right until I plowed her favorite nesting/food plot under. I’m sure she’s somewhere near. There are plenty of other nesting sites for her. I never burn my brush pile until the fall because the Towhees nest each year under it. She might set up shop there or under a shed.
The Bunnies get weighed tonight. Let’s hope they are gaining weight :+1:

They are getting brave enough to come to my hand now :slight_smile:

This thread is too much cuteness in one place.

6’1, 29yr old manly male here.

Awww, hope they make it! I had exactly the same thing happen when I was a kid. Tried to raise them, but they didn’t last long. But that was before you could find information on the Internet about how to properly care for them.

Threadneedles, I’ve been the “Big Tough Guy” all my life right up until my first Granddaughter was born a couple months ago. She could soften up hardened steel!
I”m still a “Tough Guy” but only because if you’re going to be stupid you’ve got to be tough :wink:

Hi SB,
The Internet has been invaluable. I’ve been pouring over websites and gleaning the best information from folks generous enough to share their knowledge. Kind of like BLF.
I love the fact that one day I get advice from California, the next day Hungary.
Of course California is a foreign country :stuck_out_tongue:

haha you’re absolutely right. We went to see my girlfriend’s best friend’s new baby two weeks back and this thing just took to me and me to it. Melted my heart like nothing else.

What’s the weight now?
This is turning into the most exciting topic and the most cute one on BLF
Come on how much do they weigh now? :wink:

Hi The Miller,
It’s 10:30AM here so weigh in will be tonight before I go to bed. That will give them the benefit of three more feedings. They will also get hay and greens, if they’ll take it?

Ooh man edge of the chair here!