Pocket Multitool

I carry a Leatherman Kick, which has a non-locking blade less than 3 inches in length, so it’s street-legal in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009XEDXI

Unfortunately, they don’t make these any more, so I’m glad I bought a spare at the time.

I’ve used them more than once for emergency hearing aid repairs whilst away from home - the pliers are good for pulling tubing through the earmould, and the knife is good for cutting it to length afterwards.

I also carry a bit kit with the appropriate adapter - very handy for working on computers, server racks and the like.

I have to say this, though: Leatherman prices have gone absolutely crazy in the UK over the last few years. I’m really glad I bought all my Leatherman stuff pre-inflation and pre-Brexit exchange rate hammering.

For me, it’s been a SAK SwissChamp in their Zermatt holster on my belt for the past 5 years and before that, it was a Leatherman SuperTool v.1 for about a decade.

I don’t think that would work for me too well for my EDC needs. I use my M.T.s quite often, so I don’t leave home without one.

Chris

On the topic of Leatherman sheaths (with flashlight pocket and more).
Link below is what I have been wanting to make. I have the thread, the tools, the leather - only missing press studs and the tool for crimping them on. I love the old weathered leather look, so I won’t be using virgin leather and dyeing it like he does here.
Would be very practical for lights up to 100x20mm, same dimensions as the original Wave.
14500 lights would fit easily. My first internet purchase was a Klarus Mi7 specifically intended for this.
Some small 18650 lights would be practical, I have a Skilhunt H03 that would be good, and on its way is a DQG Tiny 1x18650 which would also work.

If link doesn’t work this is the text———— Making a Leather EDC Pouch for a Leatherman Wave, bits and extras - YouTube

I have had one of these in my pocket for like 3+ years (I put blue locktite in the screws to keep them from falling out)
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1930/10001881/1136203

I might get one of these
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1930/10001881/1198502
or this
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1930/10001881/1553201

So I looked for keychain multitools on Aliexpress and Amazon some more.

I found one on Amazon that might be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Small-compact-strong-pocket-multitool/dp/B06XC17J7N

It doesn't have much feedback, but the fb is positive.

It's 2.7" closed, so a bit bigger than the Leatherman PS4.

It's made in China by an Israeli company.

The company is "Wombatools" and they have only one product.

I think the weak link of the tool is probably the spring.

Might be a good deal.

The Gerber Dime is pretty good, only the file is useless. I keep one in my car ashtray. (Not my pic)

I'm glad you like the Dime.

It has a ton of reviews on Amazon, and many say it's not nearly as good at a Leatherman, but it's super-inexpensive.

I always keep an eye on these as well: Multi Tools | Strong & Durable | True Utility™

These are from True Utility, a brand that produces pocket tools (as you can see on the pages). I have lighters, a knife, a cork screw and the True Utility Nano, my keychain flashlight.

The Multitools seem pretty nice, and copies can be found all over AliExpress (at least). I’m not sure if the copies are good, but the originals are, for sure :wink:

I keep the True Utility peanut lighter on my keyring, has been very useful (and no - I don’t smoke)
I need to replace it now as it wears badly, it seems to be both plated and coated instead of bare metal, coating flakes off and plating wears through.
I had their nano light and telescopic pen on there as well, but the pen came off and the light didn’t work for long before the battery pack started to swell and the cells separated.
They are nifty toys, but not hard-wearing by any means.

Oh, yeah, I had that pen as well! Then I lost it :person_facepalming:
The Nano light still works fine, but of course these tools are not for intensive use. For occasional use, yes, as they can be carried easily and are not expensive as Leatherman or Victorinox or other brands.
I didn’t notice that “external” wear of the metal/coating but I believe they may have it, for sure.

Having the Leatherman Squirt I don’t feel the need to get the TU multitools, but they always have nice gadgets and tools so now & then I give it a look :wink:

i edc the Squirt PS4 but the skeletool is on my want list. too bad it is over 100cdn for here.

They don’t make the CX with the serrated blade anymore :frowning: A friend of mine gave me it as a birthday gift several years ago. Not sure when they stopped making the serrated version to be honest.

Have had a few different models and brands in the past.
Older Gerber, LM Skeletool Carbon fiber (serrated) and some plastic coated handle LM Wave?… None ever got used or carried daily except my Original LM PST.
Had a few get lost over the past 25ish years and learned to keep a couple spares around just in case or for parts. Just can’t go a day without it.

Still the only one I would carry and I do everyday.