Pocket Sized Thrower.. Which one?

If you can deal with the weight, HD2010—end of discussion! :smiley:

Cargo pocket will handle it fine enough. High-ballin’, bad-@ss light all the way! No joke!

I too have both the Small Sun ZY-C10-S (zoomable) and the Jacob A60 (reflectored) and prefer the latter for the nicer beam.

On my luxmeter they both read about 60 kcd and don’t have the distracting corona/spill of many XM-L throwers.

Worth noting, though, that the Jacob A60 is hard driven and due to that (combined with poor heatsinking) service life may be reduced. For not too long bursts it’s great. I use it daily.

Sipik SK98 or for more throw find an xpe like this one from Meritline

http://www.meritline.com/cree-led-flash-light-xp-g-q5-convex-zoom—-p-60479.aspx?OrderBy=1&pagenum=3&RatingSortByYN=0

I ordered one last Thursday, i’ve been missing aspheric lights in my collection :wink:
This’ll tide me over till I decide what I want :smiley:

what about the more expensive lights i listed?? or are these not as good and overpriced or something??

I think the thing is, there’s little point paying more than necessary, and the hd2010 seems to beast pretty much everything anyway, welcome btw, another brit 8)

And I guess in this forum it is the budget offerings that we rant about :slight_smile:
So yes the original list of yours would seem overpriced compared to the 15 dollar jacobs or 13 dollar smallsun C10.
But I am sure others will chime in here. Have fun though and I do hope you find what you need.

Of the ones you listed, the Klarus and the Olight would be my choices. The Thrunite tn11 has had problems, the tk35 is rather bulky and is more flood than throw.

The best throwy pocket ish light I ever had was the Streamlight Supertac. Bulky head but still not as large as the Fenix tk35. The Supertac was a 135 lumens, the new SupertacX is 200 lumens and has over 40k candella (which is good) the old Supertac was 38k candella I think. I don’t know how that translates to Lux but I do know that that’s a tight beam, few hundred yards no prob

You might want to check out this style of light. Kramer5150 reviewed his version here. Viffer750 and I both bought ours on ebay which came with a different driver than the MXDL version. Viffer made a simple soldering change on the driver that kicks it to 3.8A tail cap draw and 45kcd of throw. He has beamshots of it destroying some other lights that cost 2 times as much (Ultrafire D1-8) all in a tiny, awesome looking little torch. For $23 you can't go wrong!

I modded mine with a 3A Nanjg v2 with moonlight - med - high and it's almost as nice as the HD2010 at throwing. With the original driver and wire relocation to bring it to 3.5-3.8A it would be even closer.

I think it's hard to beat the Small Sun with a modded driver. Only 1.4A stock. If it ties with the A60 before, it will be better after. Plus it's a zoomie, so more versatile.

Ordered a jacobs a60 because of this thread. Thanks guys!

If I didn’t know better I might think some of you get commissions from DX :wink: its a conspiracy man! Haha

Where did you order your a60 from?

DX? :slight_smile:

so is that jacob a60 best for dx thrower or what?

The A60 is not the best thrower from DX, but it is the cheapest. The STL-V2 will throw a little bit better for around 50 dollars.

no all the lights you listed are better then all these lights people are naming, but this is Budget light forums and those arent considered budget lights, the tk35 is 2 18650s as well not one, wasnt sure if anyone mentioned that

and out of those you listed the tn11 and tk35 would be the better choices for throw and over all brightness

In terms of budget thrower lights, I would give the number one slot to the Jacob A60, you can pick one up from DX here .

okay… so a60 is cheapest thrower… but what is next for that? is FandyFire STL-V6 better than A60?
or what? thanks for helping.

I hope you have fun here, Vihru!

STL-V2 is considered to be the golden standard of budget XML throwers. Close second is HD2010. Mind you that I've seen reports from some that the HD2010 will actually do better but that is specimen specific and dependent on good batteries (26650 because they have less voltage sag during high drain applications).

Also those who claim better results from the HD2010 have no luxmeters as far as I can remember so it may be subjective.

If you want to go the dedoming route then the XML thread on that gives info and pictures on the results but personally I'd like to see what a dedomed HD2010 can do (lux measurements) but alas noone has posted that so far AFAIK.

The new light from sbflashlights that has its own thread too will be (is) a really nice light too but here we are venturing past the 100 usd mark and multi cell 18650. Given the UI on that light I do however think it belongs among us budget flashaholics since nothing else out there is offered at that price with those specs.

But all this is very subjective since we all have different budgets, different needs and tastes. Some people love the colder lights, some neutral and some warm just to mention the obvious :-)

I do however hope you find something to your taste and that you will share with us what led to the decision and how you like it. Best of luck.