Pocket thrower

it depends on your definition of thrower, how far do you reasonably need to reach with this light? Your knd of stuck because there are precious few xp-g2 lights available at any budget, and for throw in a small size reflector, you really really want an xp-g2 in there, I’ve got an xp-g tube thats not even particularly over driven that will upset your average xm - l c8 in the throw department, simply because smaller emitters tend to throw better.

If you can weild a soldering iron, their easy enough to assemble in less than an hour and will out perform what you can buy off the shelf.

Taking a C8 as a baseline - how would the d5 or f8 compare.

The build in your links (an in the picture) looks good. I wouldn’t mind trying a build/mod.

OP said that he wants more throw than UF-T50. The answer is no, it’s not a thrower, it won’t outthrow UF-T50. Buyincoins sells Nitecore MT25 for $43.58, it’s a fair thrower and it’s quite small. Nitecore is higher quality brand and they have efficient drivers.

http://www.buyincoins.com/item/31964.html

You can also find one on ebay for less than $42.

the xp - g2 d1 shown above easily out throws an xm-l c8 I have, the d5 has an xm-l2 in it so is a little behind a half decent xm-l c8. As I say, build up a 3a copper (noctigon for example) xp-g2 host and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at both the brightness and throw, I even use neutral white emitters generally rather than the higher output cool white range, the brightness is comparable to a moderately driven xm-l c8 its just a very usefull light.

Building a light also adds a little satisfaction to things but be warned, its pretty addictive, once you get one going you want to try more, different tints, modes, form factors, once you can assemble a light, why accept any short comings from off the shelf offerings?

Sounds like a good pick to me. XP-G2 in a small light driven at 3amps is pretty useful. More throw yet if you de-dome it but a little less lumens. Cool white becomes a more neutral as well. Definitely on copper.

$10.00

For 3 minutes before it starts burning your hands.

Nobody says you have to leave it on high.

Ok - given that I said I wanted something smaller than a c8, with better throw than the uf-t50 I have, but also that I don’t need a pure thrower - does a d5 fit that? Would the f8 be comparable?

The mt25 looks interesting. Not sure about the ui. That $10 thrower also looks interesting.

Apologies for all the questions. This thread has been very useful for me though! I think I might build a Xp-g2 light in addition to a stock purchase :slight_smile:

D5 and F8 are identical, D5 is just a empty host (you must buy emitter+driver), F8 is already assembled. MT25 has two modes - high (head tightened) and selected by user (head slightly loosened). So it could be high-low, high-medium, high-strobe etc. With head looseden you can toggle between the modes by light pressing the switch.

None of them are pure throwers. If you’re going to build your own remember that with XP-G2 driven at over 2A you shouldn’t run your light for more than 5 minutes on high because it really gets hot inside.

Like i say, I don’t really need a pure thrower. I didn’t appreciate the d5 was the same as the f8 though :slight_smile:

So, how would the f8 compare to a c8 and the uf-t50? Somewhere in the middle?

sigh…

the d5 is SIMILAR to the f8, it will take 3400 protected keeppower cells for a start, reflector is screw in not drop in, and its perfectly fine with an xm-l or xp-g2 at 3 or so amps, its extremely good at shedding the heat, I use mine daily as its one of my edc’s.

it also comes with an a/r lense.

I suspect it would do your task fine with an xm-l, with an xp-g2 it will definitely give you the throw and if that xpg2 is on copper it will be as bright as your uf-t50 with much much more throw.

Here’s a build thread on the d5.

I would disregard the contact board method I use in the build thread and use the board I linked above, don’t forget to solder a wire between the two negative rings (driver outer ring to contact board outer ring).

if you are going to try a build order at least two qlites (id order 5 tbh) and order a few noctigon mounted emitters (xm-l2 and xp-g2) you’ll use them and you might make a mistake and its a bummer withing for a month for a 3 quid part.

and just to be clear, the “5minutes on high at 3a” is pessimistic even for a tube light, that d5 will get warm but it wont burn your hands even if your stood still till the cell runs down, as 18sixfifty says you have modes too, , there’s no need to let it get unreasonably hot as most of the time you won’t necessarily need full output, but if you do need full output its a lot easier to turn upto a higher mode than it is to stop in the middle of a night time walk, strip the light, un solder the driver and solder in another. 0:)

I think the D5 is the way to go for me. If it turns out it’s not got enough throw then I will just get a C8, hopefully it will be a good compromise though.

I might get in touch with Maxtoch and see if the SP6X-8 is actually available any where, as they seem to be getting a good rep on here, then I can mod it if I want. Does anyone else sell a built d5? The Convoy M2 looks similar but isn’t the same, the Shadow VG-10 is close as well but apparently doesn’t take protected cells.

a quick Google search of ying feng jy9018 only yields the host kit.

looks like you’ll have to build it. It is quite an easy build (it was my second host kit I think) the convoy m1 and m2 are both also easy builds and available ready assembled if you wish.

I built both and they both took protcted cells if I remember correctly.

I have contacted Maxtoch about the SP6X-8 - not heard back from them yet. The M1 is my next choice.

Cheers for the help :slight_smile:

no worries.

if you really get stuck with the build, you can always post it up to me, I’ll stick it together and post it back.

That’s kind of you. I am definitely going to have a go at building something, if Maxtoch don’t get back to me it will probably be a D5.

I would want a better soldering iron, though, something a bit more precise.

I got by for a long time with a 40w cheapy iron from maplin. I recently burnt it out though and replaced it with a variable temp iron from maplin, think it was 60 quid or so, big step up in price but definitely worth it if you get the bug, it makes reflowing emitters a piece of cake.

did you mod that c12?