Pocket thrower

I think the D5 is the way to go for me. If it turns out it’s not got enough throw then I will just get a C8, hopefully it will be a good compromise though.

I might get in touch with Maxtoch and see if the SP6X-8 is actually available any where, as they seem to be getting a good rep on here, then I can mod it if I want. Does anyone else sell a built d5? The Convoy M2 looks similar but isn’t the same, the Shadow VG-10 is close as well but apparently doesn’t take protected cells.

a quick Google search of ying feng jy9018 only yields the host kit.

looks like you’ll have to build it. It is quite an easy build (it was my second host kit I think) the convoy m1 and m2 are both also easy builds and available ready assembled if you wish.

I built both and they both took protcted cells if I remember correctly.

I have contacted Maxtoch about the SP6X-8 - not heard back from them yet. The M1 is my next choice.

Cheers for the help :slight_smile:

no worries.

if you really get stuck with the build, you can always post it up to me, I’ll stick it together and post it back.

That’s kind of you. I am definitely going to have a go at building something, if Maxtoch don’t get back to me it will probably be a D5.

I would want a better soldering iron, though, something a bit more precise.

I got by for a long time with a 40w cheapy iron from maplin. I recently burnt it out though and replaced it with a variable temp iron from maplin, think it was 60 quid or so, big step up in price but definitely worth it if you get the bug, it makes reflowing emitters a piece of cake.

did you mod that c12?

I seen a new Nitecore 2-AA (MT21A) light that is designed to be a thrower with a new XP-E2 R2 emitter, ( claimed 200 meters / Ansi FL1 ) deep reflector, and somwhat pocket size, i never seen one to test it out, and don’t know if anyone else has had the chance to see how it does. but the price is not bad for under 33 bucks on some sites for a good quality light with good modes.
I thought about getting one to try.

Bad news from Maxtoch; the SP6X-8 is an old model they no longer supply. Damn.

No, it was quite bright, xml2 u3 and 3.6a, not much to do!

It's a nice little light. Review here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/21952

Been doing more digging on the M1 and found this thread;

Which might be useful for people who want a similar thing to me. Looking at the size difference between the M1 and the uf-t50 I reckon it would be fine. Also pretty impressed with the uf-t50 here - I’ve been plesed with mine.

Went ahead an ordered an M1 today. Should arrive with an XM-L2 5c emitter. Really looking forward to getting it.

Next thing I want is a real bruiser multi cell.

I hear dedoming an xpg-2 in a p60 light gets some really good throw. I think people were getting numbers around a stock c8. I’m planning on building one up when I get the chance.

Hi folks, thought I would bring this one back up as the Convoy M1 I ordered has just arrived.

Positives:

- size and weight are good. Definitely pocketable.

- construction is good with good anno and well cut (and lubricated) threads

- LED is well centred. I went with an XM-L2 with 5c tint - I am very pleased with the warmer tint

• spacing on the modes is good and you don’t have to cycle through strobe modes

Negative:

Whine on medium - probably not that big of a deal in use but it is there

Still light so can’t comment any further. Will update this evening.

thats good news.

you ordered extra qlites right? that whine can soon be gone lol

qlites are quite. but you also may try cleaning all electrical contacts too, that could quite it up a bit until you can install a qlite

Yer I’m pleased. Obviously more throw than the UF-T50 but still a good useable spill. The tint is just spot on for out doors use.

I didn’t order any qlites - reckon it would be an upgrade? A project to investigate.

i’ll have a look at the contacts, odd that it’s only on medium though?

the whine on medium seems to be to do with the pwm frequency used IF it turns out not to be a loose pill, the qlite driver is a like for like driver but with different programming, higher still pwm frequency than a 105c,nicer modes imo, and a touch more output (you honestly wont notice this last bit so dont get excited), I know I find it extremely hard to spot the pwn pulse on a moving fan with a qlite where I can sometimes spot it with a 105c trying them side by side, that could be whats causing your whine, that resonance frequency on medium.

Thought I would update this now I have been using the light over the winter, and used it extensively for the purpose I bought it (looking after dogs/houses)

This torch is still impressing me. I still think that this light has an excellent mix of throw and flood for my needs - it’s got considerably more throw than the SC600 I got yesterday, but the difference in flood is much less pronounced.

Is it possible to get rid of the second set of modes? I really don’t need or want the 5 mode set.

I am tempted to order another and swap out the driver for something that better suits me . . .