police flashlight

Hi Dan
I have the HD2010, the XinTD C8, and a light very similar to the M10 (UF2200).

The HD2010 is too big for belt carry, if that’s what you want, and the other two are not, if you can find a suitable holster. It’s “the V8 of torches”.

The M10 (or UF2200) is a nice size in the hand, and has great runtime with a 26650 battery, and mine is my best all around yard light. It’s the landcruiser of lights and would be my choice if I was on the beat.

The XinTD V3 C8 with a NW LED my favorite for walks, it’s a bit smaller (smaller battery 18650) and has a nice NW tint. Beam is similar to the UF2200. It’s like driving an MX5. Fun.

I sold a couple of Skyray M10 and a Trustfire A8 to several friends that (2) are state troopers in FLORIDA and one is a county sheriff. The sheriff got the A8 and loves it… Fits his leather holster and is a baton style torch lots of flood and spill… The M10 throws better… 2 different style lights for 2 different styles of police work… Not all officers work the same routine style……. I have an A8 if interested… Pm me …

As Manny says, the A8 is very interesting.
A 26650 in tube style.
Would be a good EDC I suspect. I’ve been considering retiring my EDC (Ultrafire C303) for one.

A trooper and sheriffs usually stop in highways and wooded dark zones, this means they need flood and in case the suspect flees into the woods you need throw.

The m10 is good for this style, a city officer might be in a well lit district with plenty of available light or ambient light so the A8 has a good low mode of about 50 lumens perfect for writting tickets and reading bolos and maps. A turbo of 850 true lumens plus, it can run on both 18650 and King Kongs. It doesn’t get hot and is WELL made an m10 cannot hold the abuse an A8 can !!! A COP abuses his lights ….

From constantly dropping on cement, from rain to mud and rolling in the car… The light has to be tough and dependable, an officers life depends on it !!! And it must handle 8 to 14 hours of abuse every day !

By the way, welcome to BLF Dan ……

One place has it with High-Strobe-SOS. :P

I have most of the lights mentioned above, and I still think the UF-980L is the best all round option. I have some nice EDC lights but still cannot bear to leave my 980L at home, so it rides in my jacket pocket. That’s never further away then the back seat of my car at least.

It is small enough to fit a front jeans pocket with my wallet and some other stuff and gives most compact throwers a run for their money. Good useable spill too. 3 modes High-Mid-Low only, with last mode used memory. It fits long Panasonic protected cells or standard unprotected ones.

It is still my favourite light and the one I would keep if there could only be one. The Highlander of torches.

See Foy’s great review here.

Hmmmm, maybe I shouldn’t be giving such good information to my uniformed brother, in case it is used against me.

Have you thought about a box of matches? Small, lightweight easy to carry … :wink:

Foy and POK own A8’s and love them. They got top reviews… I took an A8 threw it 5 times against cement floor and broke a concrete block on it and still worked…… If I hit anyone on the head meaning me harm with the A8 bezel, or the solid butt tail cap, he will remember it all his life. That light build is amazing…… I’m tired and going to bed ……

I ma now starting to think that the UF-980L might be the best option from here http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-uf-980l-980lm-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-memory-led-flashlight-1-18650

The LightMalls one looks like a cheap (and overpriced) copy mate. There are lots of knockoffs around. The Manafont one is the only genuine one I know of. I have several clones but the original is still better.

If you are happy with a clone, there are cheaper options on ebay. The clones are decent lights, but not the same quality as the Manafont original. Maybe 90% as good though.

Choose wisely gothebroncos. The lightmall version has a different type driver yielding high, low, fast strobe.

The tried and true UF980L Driver from Manafont yields hi ,med, low with MODE MEMORY. There have been rumors of “knock-offs” out there.

Not saying the LighMall is inferior…just check it out thoroughly.

Foy reviewed the UF980L from Manafont…it’s the real deal.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-uf980l-980lumen-t6-memory-led-flashlight-118650-p-5513

Hey there!
I am police officer too, so my experiences could be interesting for you.
After serveral other lights I bought this one here:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-113/Romisen-RC-dsh-T601-II-XM-dsh-L/Detail
It was the best I have so far. Very good qualitiy, very nice beam and not that big.
I like, that it only has 2 modes (High and Mid).
It has a very nice throw with a nice floody spill.
Since I got this light I never had another one on my belt.

(Except the Sipik-Clone in my pocket and the Crelant5g7 in my bag)

Just my 2 Cents…
Toppel

Any beamshots or youtube vids of this in action?

Pretzy, don’t forget this particular comment Foy made in regards to the Cyclone C88 which would be a stellar choice!

Foy once said: I’ve put the Cyclone to use over the last 30 days and it (at least) equals the 980L in output and pretty much blows its doors off in every other respect.

I have an MCU C88. It is a cool torch, but far too big and heavy for EDC I think. Given the OPs requirements, I think the 980L is a best choice option.

so romisen http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-69/****NEW****-Romisen-RC-dsh-T602-II/Detail
or 980L http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-uf980l-980lumen-t6-memory-led-flashlight-118650-p-5513

I just want to make the right choice now. I have a C8 pouch for my accoutrement belt that is open at the bottom - is there any issue with fitting either of these?

Thanks you guys have been a great help being a noob - I find myself addicted to this site and need to check it out all the time

So gothebroncos,

I am awaiting my sky ray king!
When I get it, I am going to take some beamshots of my lights.
Then you can see, how the romisen does.
I never had the 980L, so I can not help you with your decision…

But don not spend so much time for this. You are some kind of addicted right now and you will find yourself ordering the next light soon! :smiley: (What about a Search & Rescue Light like STL-V2 or Crelant 7G5?)

Greetings
Toppel

Don’t count this light out! As far as C8 goes, it’s really the best.

The 980L should fit a C8 pouch. It’s the same diameter and about a centimeter shorter.

I think you are on the right track with a 18650 torch Gothebroncos, it gives you the option to cigar grip the light so you can do other things while holding it.

UF 980L ordered from Manafont - here’s hoping its all good

Nice start to the addiction!!

Let us know what you think of the light.