Police Officer - Looking for Single Cell 18650 Light - Mild Muggle Warning

I agree. Armytek Predator is, IMO, the way to go. V3 really puts a good beam out there with XHP35 HI.

Jetbeam Jet-IIM would be my choice. It’s built like a tank. The UI is wonderfully simple. It’s not budget but, it’s not really suppose to be. It just works and does it quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/Combo-Jetbeam-Flashlight-Eco-Sensa-batteries/dp/B01K9YP7G8/ref=sr_1_82?keywords=jetbeam&qid=1583212936&sr=8-82&th=1

Might be able to be found cheaper. I am not sure. Just found this one on Amazon from Andrew and Amanda.

I absolutely never leave the house without that light.

I would also suggest Armytek for a ‘tactical/utility’ light.

Specifically, the Doberman Pro. Nearly as throwy as the Predator, but in a more compact, SF 6P form factor.

*The Armytek has the ideal UI for Tactical / Utility light:
Head tightened = Turbo only, with momentary on. Ideal for tactical use, no possibility of hitting a different mode

Head loose = L-M-H modes with memory.

So for police use, you can carry it head tightened / 1400lm mode. And then loosening it 1/8 of a turn, have it set to 150lm x 10hrs utility mode.

With code ‘BLF35,’ it is $59.

https://www.armytek.com/flashlights/models/dobermann/armytek-dobermann-pro/

Damn, that light is more or less exactly what I am after. I like how it is in turbo mode right off of the hop when it is fully tightened.

Can I loosen the head 1/8 turn while the light is on and in turbo mode for it to drop down to a lower mode? Or does it have to be turned off first?

Yes, loosening the head while Turbo is on will drop the light down to whatever mode you have memorized. Likwise, if you have it set to say 30lm, tightening the head will pop it instantly up to Turbo.

So for police/tactical use, you’d carry it head tightened (1400lm.) Get on scene, you could then do a quick 5-10 second sweep at 1400lm to make sure there are no threats present, then just loosen the head 1/8 with the light on to drop it down to the 150lmx10hr setting, which is ideal for general search application.

This ‘Tactical/Utility’ UI used to the standard interface circa ~2007-2013 for flashlights, but sadly seems to have been abandoned by most of the manufacturers in favor of bizarre, overly complex UI’s.

AFAIK, only Armytek and Eagletac still have this interface.

I have done a bit of digging and it appears there are quite widespread reports of issues with Armytek qc and warranty. Is that old news or still an issue that plagues a lot of lights?

The Olight Warrior is a good option IMHO… when on sale it is a good value.
Also don’t forget the old maglight, you know the one most cops used when I was a kid … I know the company lost their way for a while and nobody recommends them any more, (not sure why, maybe just not the flavour of the day) but I have one of the old ones and just ugraded the LED as good as it was new 25 years ago and is definitely a reliable rugged light. They have some sales on law enforcement packages on their web site.

I love my Fenix PD35tac

1k worth of light good tail cap switch ( wont tail stand though) 18650 battery (check)

Had it in my pocket for like 5 yrs or so and ugraded to the PD36R so I no longer pocket carry I use a holster for the 36R and like it for the USB charging

But if your rotating batteries then the 35tac is nice and robust enough for you I would think.

But good luck on your search there are plenty of good quality lights out there.

A few decades have passed since my time in the NYPD Emergency Service Squad carrying a big heavy D cell Maglite on my belt.

What would I carry if I was in it today?

Simple,I wouldn't do that job today.

Heh I worked a Juvy place when I was in college carried a 6 D cell Mag I never thumped anyone with it but a guy filling in one night did. One dumb idiot down the end of the hall thought it would be a good idea to scare whomever was coming down the hall way jumped into the doorway and said “BOO” Yep the guy filling in was named ’Sully” and the kid took on off the ear with my maglight, LMAO the RD showed up in the morning and the kid whined to the RD. RD told him he got what he deserved.

Not the best light but they do make a good handy beating stick…

Are you allowed to carry and use on duty gear which is not issued or officially approved by your department?
Mike

How about a Convoy M2?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958105239.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.33.69eb6d6c3aIeWq

It can be programmed any way you want it and I imagine if it doesn’t come with a forward switch you can get one from Simon or someone else.

This store has everything you need and good reputation to boot!

Magicshine MOD20 or slightly bigger head MTL30 with additional MAS for usb charging and powerbank function

Black Convoy C8+ with luminus sst40 ,copper DTP board,smooth reflector and ar-coated glass, 2000lm for in uniform belt carry.Sitting in a police vehicle with a lot on your gun belt is hard enough;add a large light and it gets worse from there.

A Convoy S2+ with luminus SST40 for pocket carry in plain clothes and special situations.

+1

The HL-X would be a good choice for a duty light and checks most of the OP’s boxes.
They are “dual fuel” so you can run 1x18650 or 2xCR123s, and they can be programmed for multi-mode or single mode.
If you don’t mind a slightly larger/heavier form-factor in exchange for on-light USB charging, then look at the HPL.

Armytek has reportedly sold 1.1 million flashlights, of which there are ~100 negative reports online.

For the most part, it seems like issues manifest primarily with their Wizard headlamps. And every QC issue I’ve read seems to be apparent as soon as the light arrives.

The general consensus seems to be that if the light turns on and works the first day, its good to go from there.

Ultimately, I wish there were less reports of QC. But I keep buying Armytek tactical lights bc a) they seem better made then the rest of their lineup b) the specs and performance is great and most importantly c) they are one of the only companies offering the head tight / head loose interface.

For me, the head tight / head loose UI is a must, so I’d say its worth the gamble.

Klarus XT11GT, direct access to strobe or low mode, simply disable the side-switch if you dont need it, 2000 lumens can be extremely handy at searching for missing person in the woods and clearing buildings

the only downsides it gets hot quickly, best carried in a tactical plastic holster which sold separately, occasionally glitches if you’re unlucky to get some of their bad example(cleaning contact point will helps mitigate the issue)

malkoff does the same head twist with the high low brass ring installed.
not bad UI too.

Head twist UI is probably not the best choice for a LEO/duty light though. YMMV. :beer:

Fenix or Olight