Poll:1st BLF Original Ti

What here at BLF is usually not taken into the equation is that for any heat path, the amount of energy (heat) that is transported is also directly related to the temperature difference between beginning and end. Given that often the ambient temperature is fairly constant, close to room temperature, if the flashlight gets hot enough even titanium will dissipate the energy, in fact the temperature will rise, more heat per second will be dissipated, until a temperature is reached where the amount of heat produced is equal to the amount dissipated. If titanium is in the way of the heat path (that keeps the heat local, close to the pill) instead of aluminium (that spreads the heat nicely over a large area), a higher body temperature is needed to get rid of the produced heat. If because of the DTP-board that higher internal temperature of the flashlight is allowed, the titanium flashlight will do fine, although it will be hotter to the touch than a comparable aluminium flashlight.

I know what your saying about reaching equilibrium and a higher delta T increasing the heat transfer rate, but is there any testing that says a low emissivity titanium flashlight (with slow heat transfer throughout its shell) will transfer heat fast enough to prevent LED/driver damage, or solder melting at high currents?

No, at least I myself never tested that. The only clue that I have is that I swapped the led in my little D25C Ti clicky for one on a Sinkpad and have run it on high (tailstanding) continuously (1.5A?) until the battery (Efest 16340) was drained completely, this went without problems.

That counts as testing, i know nothing about that battery, how many mAh of capacity, temperature of head, airflow, battery voltage sag, current draw graph but its still impressive nontheless.

+1

Yup, that all is missing :-) (the battery is 550mAh btw, I guess that the 1.5A can be maintained for less than 10 minutes)

Still liking the 18500 size tube. I would also be okay with 18350 tube plus extension to make 18650 or 2X18350.

I like the idea of 18350 base size with extension tubes to get to 18500, 18650(or 2 x 18350 since you just know someone’s going to cram an MT-G2 in there), plus the base size allows for primary CR123’s. With all th 20mm reflector/optic options available this would end up being an extremely versatile kit.

I hope this happens soon. Looks promising, I’d like to order some parts in anticipation of a fun build.

From the first time I read the suggestion , it looked right.18350 and 150 extensions , these maybe in alu.This is what I meant by my vote , 18350 + extension (option 2)

Another one rooting for AA here. I like the idea of having an extender, which could cater for say both AA and CR123 users (cf. Sunwayman’s AP-05 extender).

Sample has arrived today. And I took it to the CNC shop.

this is the 18350/16340 version. the middle tube is 15.5-16mm. (let's say 15mm)

so,for 18500, we will need a 30 mm middle tube,

a 45mm tube for 18650. (ignore the thread length)

Does it sound good? a head, a tail, and 3 tubes.

BTY, the rubber cap should be changed into Ti also.

Are you allowing for protected battery length or is the light to be used with non protected only? Nice work Rey.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think the S2+ takes protected batteries. So I think it should be ok. That said I’d opt for an IMR these regardless, so isn’t really an issue for me.

Fantastic!

If they could match the thread pitch too, it would allow use to use Convoy tubes as well, should anyone at a later date want to alter their light.

Does the original 18350 S2+ allow unprotected cells?

Does the original 18350 S2+ allow unprotected cells?

Yes, this is sounding really good.

Rey, please confirm that the threads will be made the same as the S2, inside & out.

Thanks.

Yes,sure thing, the inner size will be same as 18350 S2+. so every parts in S2+ could be used in Ti version.

not sure if it also fits S2 or 18650 S2+? are these 3 the same inner size?

I might also try to buy the parts from Convoy and ship them with the Ti. All you need is to buy a driver and assemble.

I found that the pill from my S2+ threads into the tube of the S2, but the pill from the S2 would not thread into the S2+ tube.

On closer inspection, the S2 pill measured .005” larger in diameter. The threads are the same pitch, but are ‘taller’. It may be from a different batch/manufacturing line.

A light sand to take down the tip of the threads will allow it to fit, which I’ll confirm tonight.

The tailcaps were both interchangeable.

S2 & S2+ tubes are the same length.