Poll: Are affiliate links on BLF ok?

I see, thanks.

10% doesn’t seem to bad, or 5% either.

I’m not familiar with Chinese sites, but for Amazon at least it’s something like this:

0-10 items = 4%
11-31 items = 6%
32-101 items = 6.5%

Thanks for the info.

I can see how someone can make a decent bonus or a living if a lot of people use his/her aff links.

That's how bloggers, and youtubers make their money, at least to a degree.

There’s a whole bunch of ways to monetize a blog or web site:

1. Affiliate links
2. Google Adsense or other banner ad programs
3. Paid ad banner slots direct from sellers (like this site does)
4. Merchandise like e-books, t-shirts
5. Donations
6. Review samples
7. Other products like software or apps

…and more. Most bloggers don’t see much revenue. If you’re doing it for the money, in my opinion you’re doing it wrong.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/72521

Deja vu.

Integrity’/honesty is the key here.
If upfront and not trying to shove it down my throat as the next best thing since the sun was invented, I may pay credence to what you’re sharing, otherwise “ignore”.

Here’s something just to switch it round a bit, but if someone posts a deal that saves you money and you make use of it, is it not rude to not use the affiliate link :quest:

I’m curious about how many dollars saved it takes to justify the lapse of integrity, because that is apparently the value you are placing on your integrity.

Thanks, I knew I had seen something like that in the past. But I was not able to find it when I searched for affiliate links.. Several useful posts and info there.

No, they could have posted the deal without the affiliate part. If you ask me a question and I answer it would you like me to send you a bill for for spending my valuable time on helping/consulting you? What happened with people just helping each other for free?

At the moment the poll shows close to 80% are against hidden/unannounced affiliate links (and we can only guess what the people who posts such links are voting). People who posts hidden affiliate links knows the large majority does not like it, yet they do it just for the sake of making some extra bucks. The only rude people are the ones who posts such links. I have mentioned some reasons in post 1# too that I feel people using affiliate links have no respect for..

The reasons why the forum works so well is because its very open about most things, so I understand that there is no rule against affiliate links as long as they are "useful". But its still up to the users to say what is morally right and wrong. Id say the forum would be a better place without such links, so I will not support such links by shopping through them. That is not being rude. Its standing up for good values.

It’s definitely great that this board even allows us to openly discuss subjects like this. And it’s a diverse community and people have different values, and I appreciate that this board/community doesn’t jam one set of values down everyone’s throat. So everyone acts according to their own value system, which for me means ignoring and stripping the affiliate tags for links I consider to basically be spam. And conversely it means doing whatever I can do to support the awesome members whose tireless dedication and generosity seem to know no bounds, which is 99% of the community.

I kind of relate these affiliate links much the same as I view banner ads on the side of the BLF pages, If I like the vendor or what they are selling, I Always click on the banner off the BLF page before making a purchase.
Because I know the web site gets a small amount of money for traffic sent to their advertisers, this is my small way of saying thanks.

If someone comes here and shows me a good deal on a flashlight/knife/electronic equipment, etc. that I am interested or may be interested in, then I have no problem using their link.
It is no skin off my butt what they get in compensation.
Some of the best purchases I have made were because someone was kind enough to “Share the Love”
That is what makes this site the best.

So to all of those whom I have not sent a message of thanks, here is a wholehearted Thank You!

Really, life has too many much more important things to worry about. At least for me, Your mileage may vary.
And, for the record, I have never made an affiliate link, don’t know how to and don’t want to know.

Thanks and have a great day and an even Brighter LED night :slight_smile:
Keith

i do as long as i know the links are genuine, safe, and know what they link to.

They don't need affiliate links for that information. We all come "from BLF", which groups us together, no matter if we use affiliate links or not. Web analytic tools are frightening good nowadays.. Just click a link and "they" know a lot about you, for example Country, City, Referral page (= page you come from = BLF), Pages you opened during a visit (and next visit, and, ..).

About affiliate links:

You know my opinion and it hasn't changed. Affiliate links are supposed to help me to buy more interesting lights (for writing reviews of them). So far I have collected enough points that I got two lights from DX and nothing (yet) from BG. [But hey, at least I have been trying hard!]

I wouldn't call them "hidden", as I state the use of affiliate links clearly in my signature. After all: Clicking the links doesn't cost you (directly) anything, and you can think that as a small "Thank you" for the reviewer or person who negotiated or found the good deal. And if you think they don't deserve the thanks, you can always copy the link, strip aff part away and use the "normal" link. Of course I can start adding non-aff links (for lazy people) if you think it is really necessary.. Just ask and I'll do it.

About sponsored reviews:

So far I have received one "free" light from DX and two from BG. This is always stated in the beginning of the review.

Writing reviews is very time consuming, and those flashlights fairly cheap, so I don't really consider to get paid or those lights to be any different than the ones I bought myself. Writing reviews is simply my hobby -> I love it and do it with passion.

As you have seen, my reviews are honest and that's the way I try to keep them also in the future. I would be silly not to write honest reviews here, as there would always be someone to pinpoint the dishonesty. That's actually the power of community! Dishonest reviewers get caught very quickly and no one trusts them anymore..

Well, that's my 2c. Hope this clarifies the issue, even a little.

Lol. I deleted my post right before your post went up. I realized a little late that my post was OT.

The part of your signature which says "Above post might contain referral links...." its small and not that easy and comfortable to read. In the past I always though that line was describing the link above it (your flashlight collection)... It could be more clear, and maybe posted above the link to your flashlight collection.

Indirectly affiliate link money are paid for by consumers/BLFers. Im not sure why someone feel that they need to get paid for doing what they love, when others just share the love for free... :)

The poll also shows that 82% thinks that it is ok to post referral links. This seems like the day after elections, when all parties make the interpretations of the numbers in such way that everybody is a winner

Better now? :)

Of course we can compose my signature together.. I don't really mind even if it would say: "RacerR86 rulez!" ;)

That's being said commonly, but quite hard or even impossible to prove.. If a company sells too little, it will not be profitable. If it pays (very small amount of) affiliate link money and sells significantly more and ends up being more profitable.. Who did pay the money? Customers? What if the customers got their goods cheaper than from other stores (because of large sales volumes)? Who did pay the money then?

With this thread Im just putting the subject up for discussion and looking at opinions.. Most people are against hidden/unannounced affiliate links. I am glad to see that. Hopefully more of the people who posts such links respects others and start announcing that they are posting affiliate links. If not, well, that is up to them...

Its always the customers who pays the paycheck to everyone in a shop. That includes the pay to people who are affiliated and do marketing work for them as well. The less money used on marketing the more money can be used on keeping prices low and thereby gaining more customers..

I think your signature works better now, description is also better. :)