POLL: Your favorite Chinese knife?

Oh really? I like the one Texaspyro posted because it looks simple, not trying to be a flashy hobby charger. Extruded aluminium can be modest ; one could always add faux carbon fibre inlay and sporty decals if they choose! :smiley:

I like the simple lines of the Soshine SC-F3 but would prefer an LCD to LED array. I don’t need another mini-charger though.

If you have to get rid of more than a few watt (Discharge test), you need some sort of heatsink.

I do have fans around me, usual the lowest noise fans I can get with enough airflow. My favourite is equipment that slowly spins up the fan when it gets hot.

very good points which will be taken into consideration and not overlooked. (by whom? hehe. can't disclose)

me too, i'd prefer a slow, calm fan which spins up early to a loud in-kicking fan when the parts are already too hot.

It looks simple, but it is the flashiest hobby charger on the planet. Still, very easy to operate. The color LCD screen is very useful compared to those two line displays on most hobby chargers. It does a LOT of stuff, best to RTFM! You can think of it as two hobby chargers in one box.

I have to ask. Is this a kriesler or Dino poll? The way you have just pointed out with the different polls is very clever. I like it. Stops all the arguments. I may have to vote now.

So it’s simple and flashy in the right ways! I know little about these products, but it wouldn’t look too out of place in a lab. Just look at all the ports!! It doesn’t need to overcompensate with gaudy design.

To answer your first question more specifically, according to my IR thermometer, the x4 hovers around 98 Fahrenheit or 37 Celsius when idling.

Thinking more about the data I get from my Angeleyes charger. I expect it will be different but really I only noticed a need to check mV when using a cooling fan otherwise both mV and mA are pretty constant. So it would only be useful from a logging graphing point of view.

Capacity checking is useful as is charging time. Being able to set charging voltage and current, but I see no need to monitor these.

I just think it would be nice to be able to see realtime graphing on a charger, storing results for comparisons. They could just put that into an aluminium housing with a large silent 12mm fan and banana plugs/magnets for cells and I’d be very interested. Forget the bays, or keep the bays seperate from the charger.

My requirements for a charger:

(1) Anything that plugs into a wall should be safely designed, such that it can’t fail and put 120V/240V on its battery connectors. iPod charger clones are going down the cheap/unsafe route:

While I haven’t disassembled my cheap Trustfire charger to see what’s inside it, I’m half afraid to do so considering what I paid for it.

(2) Can’t be cheaply, fall-apart built.

(3) Must use a half decent charging scheme - ie, it must actually terminate the charge when the target voltage is reached.

Cool, can’t wait! You on the payroll now?

If I knew how to operate emoticons I’d wink back!

When someone introduces a li-ion charger thats like the LaCrosse or Iq-328, I’ll upgrade my WP2 (even 2 channels would work). Not until then. Also it has to be under $50. So I may be waiting a while.

And there are no other 4 channel on the market doing that.

If it is as good as Xtar chargers has been lately, it will be the best 4 channel LiIon charger on the market.

When the on kreisler is talking about comes out, it might be just as good or slightly better (It is difficult to be much better), but it will probably be much more advanced (This is not the same as better).

to date, yes.

that's why i am advising to give it another ~4 months: then not anymore, no. :)

much more advanced yes (see Soshine's technology or what hobby chargers can do, they are miles ahead to XP4 technology). "slightly better"? ..that's an interesting distinction. you're probably referring to XTAR's charging algorithm?

Perhaps they are tri-color LEDs? I will have to look now.

well, i can provide tri-color LED's. no problem. :)

and for people who don't want to see ANY LED's, just set them off. that sounds advanced, doesn't it? :bigsmile:

Soshine has a good 4 bay charger, but I would expect that Xtar has slightly more solid construction and they have multiple current settings. I am not impressed with the SC-S7, it has many smart features, but the actual charging is not perfect.

The main requirement for a charger is that it uses the correct charging algorithm. For many people the charger is perfect if you can just put the batteries in and remove them when the green led turns on, not all people want all the "smart" features, especially not if it makes the charger more difficult to use.

i.e.

I expect the Xtar to be one of the best, probably the best "simple" 4 channel charger (I will now if this is the case, when I have tested it).

The one you are talking about, does not sound like any competition to that, but more like a charger for people that wants something like a hobby charger, but more simple to use and with more channels.

I like having access to advanced features, that is the reason I have two hobby chargers ready to use, but I do seldom use them for normal charge. The one your are talking about might very easily be a charger that is perfect for some of my usage, maybe it might even be able to replace my hobby chargers for normal usage.

Your POLL2 vote would be "Very accurate" then, thanks!

Yes, that's the hope of making a dream battery charger. Building an all-in-one device which is to replace all of our other chargers, doing the work better than them, and handing the user much flexibility and satisfaction.

I dream of the moon

“Extra Safety” is something I take for granted, in the sense that it shouldn’t even be an option at the expense of anything else. Easy Data Logging would be fun for us OCD types. :wink: