Possible Free XHP Sinkpads

Sending out 10 to someone who might only use a couple could mean this person will give the rest away to others. That’s giving samples out to more than one person in one go.

Yeah, and it’s also good to have more than one or two samples simply so you have enough around in a parts drawer for future project designs.

I grabbed some aluminium XHP70s and XHP50 samples because I was curious about their performance, that’s not something I would have ordered ever but if they work as well as claimed then I’ll get some more in the future. I really like the perfectly flat thermal pad on those in comparison to the DTP copper sinkpads for example.

I also know, at least with general project design and basic electronics stuff, I tend to grab something that I have on hand and design it into the build rather than ordering in something new and poring over datasheets to find the ideal part.
What you have on hand is often more suited than even the best alternative in a catalogue, and once it’s there in the design (and works well) then it’s probably there for good.
This is how samples end up in final product design BOMs.

I’m sure that’s also what chip companies rely on to justify their free sample programs.

i got my free samples today. 2 copper XHP-70 pads, 2 aluminum and same for XHP-50. 2 copper and 2 aluminum

Just took a closer look at my aluminium xhp-70 sinkpad samples and realized that they’re not actually “sinkpad” branded direct thermal pad (DTP) ones.
So no wonder the thermal pads are nice and flush on those, since they still have a standard dielectric layer.

The xhp-50 aluminiums on the other hand are DTP ones and have the cavity-like thermal pad just like the Copper pcbs.

A question from a newbie, can you run 6V on a 12V pad?

I ordered a xhp70 on a 6V pad but just received one on a 12V pad.

If it is an xhp-70 pcb from sinkpad then yes.
In fact the PCB is set up by default to run the led at 6v. 12v requires the use of a 1206 jumper to enable by rerouting the pcb traces correctly. If there are no additional parts on the board except the LED then you are already setup for 6v.

You’ll also notice two “J” markings on the pcb next to little exposed bridge pads between the traces.
Simply bridge those places with solder to complete the 6v setup.

It is not a sinkpad and it is bare so no other parts, it is this one leddna.com - Informationen zum Thema leddna.

Hmm, yeah those look to be hard-wired for 12v. You’d have to cut an isolation slot between the thermal pad and the two led pads that are connected to it. Then it would work for 6v. You’d have to see if it’s worth the hassle vs ordering some 6v capable pcbs.

I have no idea what you are meaning. What two led pads?

The problem is I have no tools to resolder the emitter on a new pad. This was shit, I needed it done by the weekend.

You’d have to de-solder the emitter somehow then cut/dremel/file the traces on the board where I’ve put the red lines. The big thermal pad in the middle can’t be electrically connected to either the positive or negative led pads.

Again, this should work but I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. Also could be tricky to reflow the emitter without shorting the thermal pad again.

Edit: Can’t tell exactly how the traces run on that board but there may be more work required beyond just isolating the thermal pad like that. Essentially what you want for 6v is to feed + to the two led pads on on side of the emitter and - to the ones on the other side. Cut, bridge, airwire or whatever else you need to achieve that and it should work correctly. :slight_smile:

If you can’t de-solder/re-solder the LED, then this won’t help you anyway. But, just so that you know, the thermal pad and the two LED pads that Linus is talking about are pictured in the link you gave for the MCPCB. If you look at the picture, there is a big, blocky s-shape in the middle of the board and two little rectangles near it. Linus is talking about cutting off the ends of the s-shape straight across so that you end up with one big rectangle in the middle and two little rectangles on each side of it. If you look at this MCPCB from Mountain Electronics, you’ll see what it should look like for 6V connection.

Thanks guys, Im fucked! I cant solder the emitter because I don´t have the proper tools for it.
I guess I need to find another supplier that can ship a new one on a 6V pad asap!

Richard is getting some XHP70 in tomorrow, and has the pads already. Maybe he can help you out. If you live in the US, you should PM him and see what he is willing/able to do.

you can use a stove and a pan … try it like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJmt2Fgzr4

First and foremost…. I talked to Deannae at SinkPAD and she’s swamped sending out samples. They are not a big company, she single handedly doles out the samples and is very busy these days. They primarily work with large manufacturers, and design square boards and stars for multi-emitter use in overhead lighting and such. We are the small fry.

When you work for a living, anything you give out as a sample needs to come back to you as business or you’re going backwards. It’s really simple. We abuse the system by getting free samples with no intention of purchasing from them. After all, what is a sample? It’s the means to test the material in preparation for a larger purchase, by design.

Obviously, the 6V/12V boards are not aimed at flashlight users. With the small traces and the complicated usage, they’re purely made for large overhead lighting systems that aim at efficiency.

This is why I paid $75 for the minimum order. This is also why I got MK-R boards. It was my intention to make these available to y’all at cost one or two at a time so y’all could get around the minimum order issue, but then Richard started stocking them and that kind of over-rode the issue. He was kind enough to buy my overage. That’s how Richard is. Good, through and through.

Scott, yes the 50 fits on the XM-L board. Not a problem. Just like the 70 fits the MK-R board, but that one is not as common of course.

And yes, the 50 has the donut hole. Essentially the 50 is 4 XP-G2 dies while the 70 is 4 XP-L dies. So a triple in either is 12 of the appropriate dies in the light. :slight_smile:

In order to avoid the raging beast that would be my wife if I used her pans to re-flow, I went to the welding shop and got a scrap of metal to use. :wink: Still do it on the stove top though.

The Ledil Minnie-M works great to eliminate the donut hole in a 35mm lens sized light such as the Eagle Eye X6. I’ve asked a machinist friend to look into making some 2 cell tubes to fit this light, but he’s swamped and it might be a while. Will let y’all know how that pans out, or maybe Nitro can have his guy take a look… I’ll shoot Nitro and PM and see if he can do that.

These Extreme High Performance (XHP) emitters really up the game, for sure!

No problem any more, tested direct drive on a 12V NiMh pack. It turned on 1sec then its dead!
I tested a 12V driver first and the driver fried, then direct driven and the led died.

Something wrong……seams like they had little to much of a hurry to CNY :slight_smile:

Aren’t those using the thermal pad for negative? So they have to be electrically isolated, right?

I know Deannae well, that’s why I mentioned this same issue at the beginning of the thread (literally, reply # 1). At this point I think maybe we (as a community) should probably think about agreeing to stop asking for these samples from her. I think it’s going to go bad sooner than later, I also think they’ve seen the error of their ways and I doubt they’ll do another sample thing like this in the future…

Whoever’s the OP, maybe it’s time to remove the link and/or add a disclaimer asking that folks here no longer request samples?

I too placed an order (for more that just XHP pads) and at this point I will personally give out samples from my own pocket to anyone who legitimately need to try them out, please stop requesting them from sinkPAD, they’re a good company and dont deserve this!