Possible to solder an oslon LED (4715S 3.95mm) on a star made for Cree XB-D 2.45mm or XM-L 5mm ?

I’d like to swap LED emitters from Cree (XB-D 2.45mm or XM-L 5mm) —-> oslon (4715S 3.95mm) is it possible? I think swapping Cree XP-E/XP-G 3.45mm —-> oslon (4715S 3.95mm) is possible.

Because I’m looking at multi-LEDs like 18xCree XM-L or 15xCree XM-L or 18 x Cree XB-D I guess it would be easier not to have to change the stars and the isolator disks.

XP-E/XP-G to oslon has been confirmed to work. Post 18 pictures from djozz. With XML, are you looking to put 4 oslons on a single xml pad or one very off center?

18 x oslons…? Damn, thats a lot of IR. Whats it for? :bigsmile: Love black olson.

Would it be hard to change the 12 stars of http://www.dx.com/p/36w-cree-xb-d-2800lm-12-led-white-floodlight-work-light-black-213030#.Uz2iFsAT4WV to convert it to IR? I think its driver would be ok (oslon 4715S and Cree XB-D are both 1 amp).

Never too much IR!

I’m thinking to buy http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-xl-56s-cree-xp-g-r5-1200lm-3-mode-white-bicycle-light-black-4-x-18650-214161#.Uz2S2sAT4WW and swap the LED for oslon blacks. It’s XP-G so the stars should work. It states the Circuitry as 700mA even though XP-G are usually run up to 1500mA.

but yeah what I think I really need is more something like 15-20 oslon 4715S. For filming at night. I guess I might have to buy a body for XM-L and change the stars/sinkpads and the driver. not sure how hard that would be. also hoping to have it on/off remote controlled

True. Never enough light. :smiley:
Quite a bit of money for all those sweet black oslons.

I just did a oslon pad layout in eagle (pcb design) so I could check how it fit on a cree XB star. It would work.
Might be better heatsinking on a XP star. On an XB star the oslon center themal pad is larger.

Oslon on XP pads. Cree pads are blue. Mouse over: just Cree XP.

Oslon on XB pads. Mouse over: just Cree XB.

Hard to say how difficult it would be. Depends on the person and also the particular light. Sometimes the star your looking to put in is thicker or thinner then the existing star and it might be an issue (or not). It can all be done though.

Did you need / want it battery powered?
Pretty interested in seeing a build using a bunch of black oslons like your suggesting.

Thats cool stuff! it’s based on the sizing data published by oslon and cree? The fact that the XB star’s center themal pad is slightly smaller than oslon’s is it really a problem? The problem would be the heat transfer being suboptimal or the possibility of the oslon’s heat damaging the XB star’s material around its thermal pad?

have you tried oslon on XM star too? I wonder if the + and - of the oslon LED would touch the thermal pad of the XM star. I guess that would be a shortcircuit problem

with Eagle can you design a flashlight driver PCB with a wi-fi or bluetooth receiver, and have it made for a reasonable price?

Yea, the layouts are from cree & osram datasheets.
I would guess, the slightly smaller XB themal pad could be ok. Its just that the led is what would be damaged from poor heatsinking.

Oslon stars mouser, another source.

Almost forgot, not sure if the oslon center thermal pad is neutral. Need to check its datasheet.

Mind that with solder pad lay-outs not really matching, the led is not 'sucked' tight against the board while at the same time pushing out excess solder, like with matching pads. If you use too much solder, it will just form a thick layer.

Might be able to get someone to whip you up an OSHPark board to hold you some of these emitters

I did an oslon layout, I could drop it onto an oshpark board but FR4 sucks compared to metal core stars.
You need to order the leds from a major suppiler like mouser so you might as well pick up Oslon stars while your there, no? mouser, another source.

very true

oh snap!

9 olson on a 20mm star!