Powerful light to shed on trespassers

Shooter1951, I would suggest adding this the your 1st post. Under $50, range 50 feet to about 250-275 feet. Some people might just read the 1st post and miss what your needs are.

Shooter buy this kit https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34327* light, protected cells and a good charger, and it’s a good price for all of it.

* not an affiliate link.

I would look into the 50-100 watt “wall wash” floodlights from China via Ebay and put it on a motion sensor. I don’t think using a flashlight will be very effective unless you are always around and have a reliable way of detecting the visitors. A dog or a few geese make good detectors.

try Crelant 7G5CS in the new XM-L2 version, a good budget thrower, keep in mind that its probably around 800 lumens in ANSI rating

I’m amazed at the choices, i had no idea! I’m 63 years old and always been an outdoors person. Use to get in fair share of fishing and hunting……but boy I sure have had my head stuck in sand when it comes to “flashlights”. When I started looking I was thinking grab a Stanley or B&D light with a set of rechargables……little did I know!! This forum and all of the posts have definitely expanded my horizon. Now to figure out which. Thank you!!

Here's one you can buy at Home Depot for $19 and return if you don't like it:

All of the options mentioned here are viable… from a $14 C8 style light to the $60+ long throwers.

Some of the lights are inexpensive enough to buy more than one style… grab a Courui D01 and a Convoy C8 and come out right about at $50, for example.

If you know me, you’ll know I’m always looking for a better way. “Better” means whatever it means, but I have to ask:

Your own pond seems well-kept, so I’m assuming you could walk around it without much danger, even in the dark, yes? I’m assuming you used a flashlight last week?

Why not just put on some dark clothes, pack a pistol just in case, and wander up on them in the darkness? Take your time, be slow, careful and quiet. If they’re just looking to get closer to nature (as in “au naturel”), or if they are up to no good, a Sudden Appearance of a Very Bright light from Very Close is a lot more effective (in terms of terrorizing trespassers), than anything you could beam them with from the porch. Especially if you pop a couple of rounds into the ground at your feet (safely, of course!!) as you pop on the light (assuming they’re actually ne’er-do-wells and not just necking).

For the maximum deterrent effect, you’d want to exercise some self-control to keep from LOL-ing at them while they were still in ear-shot… In fact, a complete lack of vocal sounds from you would probably have the most lasting psychological impact.

But, like wild animals, if they see you coming, you’ll never get close enough.

OTOH, my first thought would be to prepare by practicing in daylight with a shotgun (birdshot only) so you can lob loads of birdshot high enough to not be dangerous, but get the load to splash around the far side of the pond. If you’ve ever been bird hunting in a popular spot you know what that “shot shower” feels like. This plus the LASER pointer, plus any flashlight if you must, would make a pretty convincing “GET OUT” message in the darkness.

However, comma, my Best Advice (“Greater Good” and all that) would be to adopt a dog & teach it to run madly around the pond barking its fool head off the whole way. There are very few people who’ll stick around to see if it’s “bad” or just noisy. And in the meantime you’ll be a hero by giving a dog a home and a job to do.

Remind me to never encroach into Dimbo property. Or within a 100 ft of it. :smiley:

^ Agreed. If you do accidentally get on his property, start necking on the nearest person you can find and slowly wiggle your way out of there immediately.

EDIT: Exception, if the nearest person is Dim's SWMBO, it may not be wise to start necking on her. I don't even want to know what Dim's the response to that would be.

EDIT2: You know I'm just kidding around Dim, right, bro? I just remembered we live in the same State.

WTF Dimbo that was creepy :open_mouth:

Jokes aside, such an intimidatory technique could lead to unexpected reactions… And injuries on both parts. I would advise against that, and just dissuade from distance or approach openly. Unless you like to play the ’mmurica cowboy thing, hah.

Shooter1951, I have a Coast HP550 that I bought from WalMart for $49.97. May be $59.97 now. Consider: a US based company, lifetime warranty, spot to flood focus with 1075 lumens, and comes w/ 9AAs. I run mine on Eneloops from Costco. Nice tint too…

Wanted to comment on Dimbo’s post when i heard the slightest whistling comming from behind the couch, i turned a saw a red dot on my chest, it was coming from the assault rifle of a crouched man in full special force attire with a painted face and a “dimbo” patch on the chest, he whispered to me “think twice about what you’re about to write”, i turned to my oblivious wife in disbelief for a second, enough time for the man to disapear in total silence leaving just an ever so slightly opened window and a breezze of air in the curtain.

^ Oh, that's good. Hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Mine too! I never make whistling sounds!

Nah. All travelers are welcome at Casa Dimbo! 24*7, I don’t turn anyone away. Especially FRIENDS, like you guys!!!

PS: I would only remind any of the little buckaroos who happen to read my suggestions, the words “safely, of course” and “high enough not to be dangerous”… It’s about psychology, not a wrongful-death lawsuit!!

Of course, in the Darkness, a plain old LASER pointer and the stern command “LOOK AT YOUR CHEST” can be some pretty powerful psychology…

(And I’d also like to reiterate, not letting them hear you LOL is the hardest part.)

Finally somone who listed to the guy!!!

<$50
MAX brightness reach.
from 12 car/truck

ImA4Wheelr nailed it!!!

But I have to admit the laser-firecracker idea might be effective J)

Note to self: Stay on Dimbo’s good side ALWAYS!! The lay of the pond is such I could sneak up on them where ever they are. In the 16 years we have lived here we have only had trespassers we know about 3 times. Once was 3 drunk guys gigging, pretty sure they couldn’t have hit a frog if it was dead. Another time an older couple and couple kids were “picnicing” in our front yard when we came home one Sunday afternoon. He said he just wanted the kids to learn how to fish which of course I wouldn’t mind at all……the only problem was the kids were playing ball in the yard and Grandpa was the one fishing.
Have a lot of good recommendations to consider. Johnny I like the idea of U.S. company. Thanks for all suggestions.

Small Sun ZY-T08 is todays GearBest Deal for $21.99
Code SSZYT08
It’s a very capable light !

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_198014.html

I will send you my Small Sun T43 for $20.00 shipped since you are in the US. It is new, has the batteries, and the internal charger and box. Has only been taken out and used once for 20 minutes. I can ship it out today and you'd have plenty of light and throw for your task, Shooter. PM me if interested.