Preon PenLight Quick Impression ( a lot of pics )

Specification

This ultra-sleek and incredibly bright PenLight may resemble a pen but it’s actually a flashlight that packs quite a punch with a maximum output of 180 out-the-front lumens. It’s the perfect every-day-carry light constructed from aircraft grade aluminum alloy and stainless steel.

MSRP: $60
More detail on specification you can see at Foursevens web page
Preon PenLight is provided by Foursevens

Packaging And Content

Comes in blister packaging, package design is really simple and looks clean. Contents is 1 x PreonLight, 2 pieces of AAA Alkaline, spare o-rings and manual. I really like the included battery, in case you are not flashlaholic your light is always good to go out of package !!

Design and Build Quality

I had Burnt Orange color, the color is not looks orange to me. It’s more Orange-Red color. Design is really sleek, beautiful and does not look like a flashlight at all !! There is no aggressive knurling on the body, feels is a bit slippery but better than Preon 2 which has no knurling at all. I felt Preon Pen light is more rugged than my Preon 2 while i had it on my hand !!

Pocket Clip is nice and strong, compared with my Preon 2. Also the is no side to side movement on pocket clip compared with my Preon 2 which is move side to side all the time and scratched the flashlight body. Good job 4sevens, i think clip on Preon 2 should be redesign this way.

he is a notch / hole on the switch, which is nice to prevent slippery when your thumb turning on the flashlight. Also the switch is stiffer than switch on Preon 2, which i prefer this way. The switch on Preon 2 is too soft, sometimes i accidentally skipping the mode.

Body is 3 pieces design, thread is square cut and very smooth compared with thread on Preon 2. Thread also anodized so lock out is possible to prevent turn on flashlight accidentally 0:)

The flashlight also feels very good on my hand, size and balance is perfect for my taste !!

User Interface, Output and Beam Shot

Switch is reverse switch which means you can’t do half press to do momentary on. To turn on the flashlight simply click the switch.

To change the mode you can do turn on then turn off flashlight within less than 1 second or from on position half press the switch ( this way is much more convenient to me ). The flashlight have memory feature, if you turn off flashlight for 2 seconds or more it will memorized the last mode.

Equipped with latest Cree Emitter XPG-2 and on my simple it’s perfectly centered. It’s use smooth reflector.

Beam is very clean but if you are paying attention, there is a slight donut hole on the hotspot. Does not really affecting the beam but i find this a bit annoying !! and i’m sorry i can’t capture it with my camera.

There’s beam shot at outdoor. The beam is quite floody, which is suit my taste and it’s perfect for EDC.

There is another beam shot just to give you idea how flood is the beam from Preon Pen Light. You can see at the painting at the wall, the quark mini123 with Cree XPG R5 is produce more hotspot than Preon Light which produce very smooth and flood beam.

RUNTIMES

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Summary :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I had Preon 2 light and things i don’t like at preon 2 such as moving clip, slippery body and too soft switch has been redefine on Preon Pen Light. Design is sleek and beautiful, does not looks like flashlight at all. The Burnt Orange color also interesting, because not so many flashlight has offer this such color and i found this color is very unique and perfect for EDC.

Clip is strong and does not move side to side. However because lacks of knurling i found the body is little bit slipper but provide much more better grip than my Preon 2. Switch is more stiff than Preon 2 switch which is prefer that way.

Things i don’t like on Preon Light is the memory feature. I have a lot of flashlight which is sometimes i can’t remember on which mode i used my light is. It would be better if there is no memory feature on Preon Light. But i think Foursevens has their own consideration by implementing this memory mode. For someone who prefer pen light without memory mode, you can get Preon 2 with it’s plus and minus.

Lastly $60 MSRP for pen Light is quite expensive compared with similar product ( let’s say Olight O’pen cost ~ $40-ish ). I never had a chance to look try Olight O’Pen but they both look’s similar because Olight and FourSevens are working together to develop flashlight.

i give you generous three stars for the review :)

I am sure there could be more than one review. Nice to see different opinions on things.

+1

Please repost it if you still have a copy. If I’m looking at buying a particular light I like to read several opinions. More is almost always better. :slight_smile:

Yep the more opinions the better.

Please repost! It’s nice to have more than one review for different viewpoints.

Please repost. It’s definitely nice to see more than one review on anything. And as an EDC junkie, I can never see enough good photos.

Ya, Njet, please post it back up, we always love a second opinion.

+1!

We're begging you, pNjet212, would you kindly repost your review? (and just ignore the following...) ;)

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too. -Rodney Dangerfield

Thanks everyone !!! i did re-posted my review, hope you guys like it :smiley:

Thanks for the review Njet212!

Excellent review! 8)

Thanks for the review, NJet212. I’ve wanted that light ever since it came out, but the price has kind of turned me off. Let me know when they hit $30 :wink:

Glad you guys like the review!

Right now foursevens have back to school promotion it’s cost $45 at the moment.

Maybe when they replace the emitter with newest one hopefully they do the clearance at $30 price!

Love the hand shadow pictures. Sadly lacking in Mr Kreisler’s review! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the review! Seeing your beamshots, it is brighter than I imagined outside.

Great review.

I too like the hand shadow beam shots, was looking for a rabbit or alligator or something thrown in for chits and giggles! :wink:

I got one for my wife and it’s really an impressive light! Hi beam is astonishing coming from what appears as a pen, I think 4Sevens did a great job with it.

I’m still thinking about getting one. Do you think the high mode is as bright or brighter than this Convoy S5 I am waiting for (XML2 T6-3B with 3*7135 driver)?