Problem with UPS (delivery service)

Yes, I realize that.

I was hoping someone on BLF has had a similiar problem with UPS and maybe knew something I didn't.

You need some folding sawhorses and DETOUR signs.
Block the bad choice and send traffic the better way.

i did have similar issue, i used to live on small street between other streets, not accessible by a car, half the time delivery service as well as usps, could not find the address, or did not want to walk several hundred feet, there was about a dozen of houses on that street, we all wrote to pretty much every city govt official, as well as post office, and even postmaster general, after a decades of doing that the only thing they got, was a larger street sign, lol, i moved out long ago, but sometimes talk to old neighbours, still same issue, and no way to get it fixed.

if that is a private road, yes, if public, it can get you in serious troubles, even arrested, i know someone who got $2500 fine for blocking a street for a block party with no permit. he can put signs, but blocking is a bad idea.

Big honkin’ sign at the beginning of Danger Road:

“ACHTUNG! For deliveries to Ambiguous Street, please use Safe Road instead.”

Or something to that effect.

Make a few big signs and place em along the right road

“Hello UPS this is the right way to Raccon City”

You can sign up for alerts with a free account and you can put details about where to leave it, what bell to ring, come in off 4th st not 3rd st, etc

I have a free account.

I have looked for a place to add custom delivery directions in the past, and did not find it.

I just searched again now, and did not find it.

Where can I input custom delivery directions?

It’s on the tracking page I believe. I think it’s specific to each package. I’ll look up an old tracking number and try to send it to you

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not going to post custom directions to my house for each package I receive.

If it’s a public road then Google’s not sending people the wrong way. Some people want to avoid all dirt roads and others want to seek them out. Google maps is not at the point where they can help you avoid them or help you find them. In some places you have no options other than taking dirt roads. One possible option for you is to use the second address line on some online forms. Some people will use that to put in a Cross road. Either enter the nearest road that connects to your road or the nearest major road that you expect them to intersect with your road. The USPS does not like or recognize the second address line but it doesn’t necessarily cause problems. Quite often you won’t know when you order something how it’s ultimately going to be shipped to you. But you might experiment with that second address line. The nearest crossroad is commonly used in 911 dispatching.

If it’s a choice between calling UPS every time or copy/pasting directions every time, which is easier for you? With the latter, at least you only have to type up the info one time.

But first, I would call UPS’ customer service, explain the problem, and politely plead, “Is there any way you can think of to help me, so I don’t have to remind them every single time?” You might get lucky and hit a nice, knowledgeable, aim-to-please person, or at least one who takes pity on you and actually tries to devise a better way.

It's a public road that is very dangerous and damages most vehicles that take that path.

For the vast majority of vehicles, it's the wrong way, and you cannot see what is ahead of you and you have to take it quickly.

If more people used that path there would be collisions.

Just about the only people that take that path are the water company, garbage trucks, and some delivery companies because they have large trucks and apparently don't care about safety or don't know about the safe path.

A dangerous and damaging path is not the right way for the vast majority of people.

None of my neighbors that live on my street think it's the right way, and maybe it shouldn't be considered a public road due to how horrendous it is.

I do like your idea about the second address line, however.

I think I'll incorporate the "second address line" trick the next time I order something.

It couldn't hurt.

Some others in this thread may have suggested it as well, but your explanation was very clear and makes sense to me.

I have talked to the local UPS center and had that very conversation with them.

The solution I have spelled out is the best they could offer me.

Calling UPS every time they fail a delivery is easier than pasting the info on their website with every order.

Trust me, I've thought about it even before you even asked it.

“UPS uses some sort of GPS service to deliver their packages, and recently they always go the wrong way”

My first serious job long ago in the late 70’s and early 80’s was a UPS package driver. Each driver had their own route. We didn’t have GPS. After awhile you just got to know your route. So it surprises me that you’d continue to have this problem…………because you’d think that after a couple of mistakes, he’d figure it out.

Then it dawns on me. Maybe they are so dumb-ed down with GPS telling them where to go that they don’t do their own thinking anymore and keep making the same mistake over and over.

OK that was a little harsh. I avoid UPS whenever I can and chose USPS or Fedex when the choice is there. UPS treated me horrible so I have kind of a grudge. We had it tough compared to the delivery drivers now a days that have to collect no signature. Heck they don’t even ring the doorbell or knock half the time. If we brought back more than 3 packages where we could not collect a signature, we were chastised hard. It was like being in boot camp. Money was good though. That was the only way you could tolerate the place.

I think maybe your best bet is to talk to the drivers themselves. Can’t be that many different ones. My area seems to have three. Sooner or later you should meet all of them.

You are correct about GPS, for almost 2 years I was completely baffled why Fed-Ex would deliver my packages all around me but not to my house and every time I had to call I described that we are a simple neighborhood with paved streets, new street signs, simple address numbers yet drivers could not connect the numbers, or even the street name on the box, to my house. In one conversation with a super she mentioned them not looking at the address but instead just relying on GPS, which I didn’t quite follow since I have never used or seen GPS tech.
Recently as a super had to bring me one of my mis-delivered packages I inquired about the GPS issue and he said that it was perhaps not precise in my case and that he would correct and enter it while standing on my porch, since then all my packages have come to my house.

For me it is only Fed-ex which sometimes skips the door bell alert.

I think that raccoon city’s only real solution is to do whatever it takes to get UPS to enter his preferred driving route for his home, into their drivers hand held GPS devices, perhaps a super or field manager can drive the route and enter changes into the UPS device.

Some of the drivers seem to operate only with eyes and mind fixed on their tech device and are not open to problem solving and adapting to situations to complete tasks, they are on full, oblivious, auto-pilot with the device as their only focus.

If you keep the instructions in a file you can copypaste, and
do that each time you check tracking on a package
even if you rarely do check tracking
just on those occasions when you do
you can paste the instructions in easily
and hope the UPS keeps the same drivers working for them
so eventually they start to notice “oh it’s that place again”

Alternatively, there’s finding out who owns the property next to the critical decision point
and paying them for the right to post a sign next to the road
saying UPS — TURN RIGHT HERE for 123 SIMPSON ROAD

Or there’s meeting the UPS truck a few times with a dozen donuts and
a case of beer and a map, to make yourself more memorable
in hopes the UPS drivers start to gossip about how to find your place …

can u take some pics outside your house how it looks?