Problem with xp-g2 low amperage

I have two eagle eye x6 both with 3.04A qlite driver. One with xm-l2 1A and the other xp-g2 s2 1d both in noctigon. The problem is with xp-g2 at high mode the highest ampere i can get is 2.4A while with xm-l2 i can get 2.95A. So i swapped the two drivers and the result is the same, 2.4A on xpg2 and 2.95A on xm-l2. What’s the problem with my xp-g2? is it defective?

Cree has changed their LEDs in the last few months. The newer ones have higher forward voltages and apparently a max output as well, ie, even with increasing current, brightness beyond a certain point remains the same. They also can’t handle as much current before failing… there is one large thread addressing these ‘problems’.

I also have the same problem with my the dedomed XP-G2 recently, but my case is a bit different.

With a 12*7135 Qlite driver the dedomed XP-G2 got to 3.90A for the first few seconds, after that it went down and stopped at 2.90A. I have changed into other fresh batteries but it is still the same. The LED is mounted on Noctigon and the batteries are fully charged INR 20R.

Cree specs the max current for XP-G2 at 1.5 A, XM-L2 at 3.0A. I would not expect them to behave the same.

If it’s a newer XP I’d say your “problem” is just the higher vF of the newer generatin of emitters. If it’s old stock you’ve been saving for a bit then have a look at this thread.

Can you tell me which thread is that?

Emitter data and talk. A look at Vf, amps and some crash testing (Updated with more data 10th of December) There were a couple other threads around the same time that mentioned the problem.

so which one is better to use for high current and of course gain in lumens ? R5,S2 or S3 ?