Project Genesis

You’re right, we should get rid of e-switch flashlights, and also protected cells, all that extra circuitry is unnecessary.
Also the driver can simply be replaced by a resistor and physical switch, no need for the more chances of failure.

In fact, if the flashlight is designed for only non-protected batteries then it can be shorter too :slight_smile:

If I have offended you I am sorry. I thought it was a rational discussion.

Since you are having a melt down I will say good night

I basically used your own logic of “we should not add anything because of reliability” and it seems like you can’t form a counterargument, so instead you’re going to leave.
Great choice :slight_smile:

A charger unit at the positive end of the cell can be made with no risk of the light failing to operate if the charging unit fails.
My mods use a direct positive pass through connection with neutral to the body.
Doesn’t matter if the charger works or not. Just FWIW.
Anyway it’s the big mans design so we can only see what he chooses :+1:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tantrum

Exactly, the charger is in parallel to the driver and battery.
Any battery or driver can be used, and the charging circuitry is completely independent.

Some people simply don’t understand how electronics work and anything more than a switch is “unreliable” lol

Imagine if people had to charge their phone batteries outside the phone because “usb is unreliable”
Or have to carry around something the size of a book in order to charge their phone away from home.

I think it has been decided.

I rarely ever use the built-in usb charger but I would like to see this function on my flashlights because it’s good to have just in case I need it. Also I would only gift flashlights with USB charge especially to elderly people. Having to take out the battery and possibly inserting in wrong direction can be avoided with a built-in usb charge port.

I agree, charging ports are crap magnets. I’ve got a few lights with the built in ports and it’s their biggest weak point. I would consider a charging port for a heavy duty light only if the entire head was potted to the point of being able to rinse off the port when dirty. Rubber caps rip off fairly quickly, it’s not a 10 years of use part. Under thread style comes close but still not there yet in durability. Then you also get extra parts on the board. Charging port are for convenience not long term use.

I understand that there’s no electronic “risk” per se of the light source itself failing becuz of the positive pass through. The light source will still turn on so where’s the risk?

Butt there’s a wrinkle in what you may consider no risk in this special build.

If the built in charger fails how do you then charge the depleted battery assuming you’re out in the field or if using it during extreme duty conditions? You have a USB cable butt now it becomes temporarily useless. Even if everything works just fine while using the built-in charging it still takes time to charge a battery when you may need that light to continuing working essentially without an extended interruption. And assuming you didn’t bring a spare battery becuz you thought you didn’t need one with that built in charging that light will eventually fail becuz of a depleted battery.

The point I’m trying to make here is that there’s really no better substitute reliabilty-wise than a ready to run spare battery that you swap in like a magazine. Granted I think you’re all mostly talking about the desirable convenience aspects of built-charging. No debate there. They ARE more convenient to an extent. Butt in an extreme duty flash in relation to our current higher bells and whistle expectations this “convenience” takes second seat to reliabilty and that just simply comes best from carrying a spare battery. Period. You provide and are ultimately responsible for power source reliability, not the inherent charging circuits in the light itself.

Sure, he could put in a built-charging circuit as you describe for even this particular uber for rugged use flash and not harm a thing in its main direct function of producing reliable light. And you could also carry a spare batt too. Then you have everything covered, right?

Except he wants LESS things in that light that CAN break. Anything that can break is IOW another liability (that btw he is liable under warranty to FIX) regardless if it does no DIRECT harm. However as noted above it could cause a form of indirect harm becuz one didn’t think it necessary or prudent to carry a spare battery with it.

So I think where Vinh is heading here with this particular flash is ABSOLUTELY spot on. And prolly best summarized again with just one word: RELIABILITY. Extreme duty. Combat ready. Ocean and salt water ready. High height drop ready. Ad nauseum adverse conditions ready. Ok maybe not for outerspace cold vacuum ready butt you get my drift. :laughing:

This is not a light ya give to Grannies. This is basically a floating around the area of a top of the line harsh conditions SURVIVAL grade light. I mean, going with 7075, 3mm tempered glass, and viton seals alone, should be enuff to convince ya right there. :open_mouth:

‘Conveniences’ like built-in charging here need not apply. I’m pretty sure he might sell just watt you guys want in the built-in charging department in other less costly and less Mil-Spec influenced offerings.

As for me? If I buy one ( I’m fairly certain I will after reading how he plans to put them together) I will also buy a USB-ported spare battery for it. The main usage battery will likely not have that feature as I want the highest reliability and capacity possible.

Oh and btw, watt good is that spare USB-ported batt gonna be if I don’t have a way to charge on a Grizzly bear infested hike?

Hmmmm. I guess maybe he should also think about offering a Vinhfire Genesis grade powerbank too. :money_mouth_face:

Ranting off…… :laughing: :beer:

Never had any issues with my USB rechargeable lights, maybe you just don’t take care of yours properly or they are low quality charging ports.
USB C is much better than micro USB too.

There’s no need to be rinsing off a port if it is protected inside the flashlight.
“still not there yet in durability” In that case you could say the same thing about the flashlight driver, because it’s also protected inside the light.
“extra components on the board” same with a flashlight driver. If you want less components on the board then don’t use a flashlight driver, use a switch and a resistor.

There is no problem with having some extra components for a charging circuit if they are good quality components and it is a well designed circuit.
A charging port can certainly be used long-term, not sure why you’re making up that stuff.
First people complain about the (unnecessary) headphone jack being removed from phones, and then they complain about adding a few electrical components which make charging a flashlight away from home 100x easier, this is hilarious :smiley:
PS- there are waterproof USB C ports, you don’t need to ‘pot the entire head’ to be able to submerge or rinse off the port if it happens to be on the outside of a device. Did you know that IPX8 phones with USB C ports exist?

And my point is that you do not lose any capability of bringing a spare battery with you, or charging your battery with a dedicated charger.

So for the other 99% of people buying this light who aren’t bringing it to syria in the middle of a war, charging the flashlight with the same cable used to charge your phone is much more convenient than carrying this around in your pocket:

Not for Vinh it isn’t. It’s just another thing that isn’t absolutely essential for this flash to operate as close to 100% reliably as possible. And as far as the 99? He’s not marketing this for those. It’s the 1 he ultimately has to convince this is worth the bux. The rest of us schlubs granted will buy one just becuz well we can, and ya never know I/we just may end up in a Syria sum GD forsaken day or accidentally run over the lens housing end with a loaded up F350 on concrete.

I think you’re missing a business aspect though. That 1% will likely beat the living lithium gasses outta that light. Guess who’s ultimately liable warranty-wise $$$ to fix that built-in charging circuitry, connector, etc.? If I were Vinh I’d say charge yer own battery your way, Endy! :smiley:

PS. All in good fun here. Don’t shine one of yer GD planet destroyer flashes at me, man. :open_mouth: :person_facepalming:

I was talking more about the Gen 2 Genesis or future projects, as well as flashlights in general.
A lot of people seem to not understand that (good) USB charging is not “unreliable” or “more points of failure”

As for this one, since it is meant to be pure reliability and compactness, I would argue that it should have a simple one or two mode driver with none of that programmable stuff or flashing modes or whatever, because reliability.
Also designing the flashlight to fit 70mm long batteries only, not ones with like 5mm of protection or other stuff, would mean it can be shorter and the spring doesn’t need to be unnecessarily long to accommodate those special non-standard cells.

Oh yeah of course for those subsequent more foo-foo lights hell he can add a DVD player in them for all I care. :laughing:

PS. Maybe sumone can design a ruggedized powerbank suitable for this kind of end of the world flash. Then ya really don’t need the desktop charger right away, right?

Well one could hope a Vinh could build sumthing like that butt it’s pretty obvious to me Vinh isn’t interested so far in the battery charging business. I believe he already has his tiny hands full enuff with the LED lighting business as is. :open_mouth:

The great thing about USB charging is that you can find 5V almost anywhere.
On a desktop computer, on a laptop, a powerbank, an airport, etc…
You don’t find a 21700 charger everywhere, do you now :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the problem is most people here only buy budget flashlights, and have only experienced the crappy USB charging that is sometimes on those, and that’s why it gets so much hate.

IMO a better solution than built-in flash charging is built-in battery port charging. Granted there are drawbacks there too butt at least if the battery can fit and the capacity doesn’t get pinged too much just having the battery itself USB-chargeable is very desirable in my book.

Then I can use that same more conveniently chargeable battery in many different lights if need be.

I also gotta be honest here. I kinda am get nervouser when I charge a lithy in a flash. I picture an airtight pipe and gas release pressure. Then I picture a loud sound and shrapnel. :laughing: :open_mouth:

I’m just finding out I’m having an ever harder time blindly trusting the setup.

I’ve never had a cell run down when I wasn’t using it.

Anyone remember mini USB?

You have two obviously :smiley:
Simple flashlight math :+1:

I kinda disagree, those batteries with built in charging circuits are pretty crappy.
Not only do they add a lot of length, making them non-standard size, but the circuit is also very cheap and often limits the output current.
The point of having built in charging in the flashlight is to be able to use plain, standard cells, with no modifications needed.

There is actually no problem with charging a lithium battery inside a flashlight.
People are very paranoid about them catching fire and exploding, but that is almost impossible.
Take a look at all the youtube videos of people shorting them or overcharging them, all that happens is they heat up a lot.

If the flashlight is half unscrewed, because the charging port is hidden behind the o-rings, then it is no longer airtight and any venting will not cause an explosion either.
With a good charging circuit that will never happen either.