Proposal for a BLF defense flashlight

With only one shot, and the barrel pointing towards you, that looks more like a suicide light.

The .410 doesn’t help any with that appearance. As a very funny guy once said:

Not that I would volunteer to stand in front of a .410, but I also wouldn’t choose it as a defense caliber/gauge.

Man shoots self with maglite! Discovers 3 years after shooting himself, is in perfect health!

I can't see this project taking off. You can already club someone with a maglite. BLF doesn't need bad publicity. Whats the point?

If someone can’t figure out where the ‘business end’ is & observe the proper incorporated safety designs… they surely don’t need it. :smiley:

The .410 might not be a first choice… but as a CQC backup… it would be very deadly with the correct load.

It might not take off…. time will tell. :+1:
But if it does take off, the worry of “bad publicity” for a self defense light should be of no concern IMO.

And the point, as I see it; would be to make a ‘Bat Light’ that is super sturdy & serviceable as both a light & a bat. In other words…. after you strike something it is still in one piece & still works. :wink:

:+1: :+1:

Yes, but of thick walled hardened steel with good strike bezel.

Video reviews of the original Ozark Trail Silver Batlight are very good. Guys striking objects and still working great. Imagine hardened steel or thick grade aluminum version for BLF project.

Not even. As long as you hold it “icepick” style at eye-index or neck-index, your hand’s naturally wrapped around the light right behind the head. Lets you swing hard without any fear of the light going flying off into the distance.

That, plus a weighted tail (heavy dummy cells after stuffing a coupla 32650s in it) will let you do a Gallagher on a badguy’s melon if he gets too close. Done deal. And totally innocuous, won’t be portrayed as an “assault flashlight” in front of a jury, as it would if you had some medieval-looking spikes sticking outta the front bezel like a Jet-II Pro or whatever.

Marketed at as different product might help. Maglites were functional first and their heft was a plus for using for self defense. Something like a potted floody convoy L2 would work, no reason to make a batlight.

Seems like the best solution for anyone who wants a batlight is to just get a large Maglite and mod it with modern fully-potted electronics.

I haven’t heard of 6D-maglites breaking in half when they hit something. I think the aluminum is strong enough… no need for steel.

I would have thought once you shine a Convoy L6 in someones face, there’s not much they can do. I certainly wouldn’t like to get hit with either my L2 or L6. I can’t see the point of a baton flashlight, but there again I don’t live somewhere were you need flamethrowers on your car to prevent carjackings.

A Convoy L6 with chainsaw sound effects would be fun.

We could name this thing…

• BLF - SD - NK (Self Defense - Noggin Knocker)
  • BLF - SD - BB (Self Defense - Bone Breaker)

There are two good ones for a start. :wink::smiley:

yep, I am serious … :+1:

Word!!! Good idea!!! I will be in for a least 2 of each. Hopefully limited edition colors as well.

Nah, I still like “brick smaher” and “glass broker”.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

Sort of.

I own several 6 D Maglites but have yet to MOD them yet. Due to cost factors VS new improved higher output lights.

On related note, The Police Security 6 D silver flashlight fits the bill easily. 1050 lumens of light with aggressive strike bezel below.

“BLF Nut Crusher”

This ^

There isn’t going to be a whole custom designed BLF flashlight for the 6 people that really want a defense flashlight, that’s just not feasible.
On top of that, the complications of shipping large, heavy objects around, potential of it being classified as a weapon, extra cost for materials, etc. etc. etc. it will not be ‘budget’ at all, or even possible without some special contracts that chinese flashlight manufacturers will likely not want anything to do with.

Knives and guns are already carried for defense by most people in places where it is legal and there is a lot of violence.
If someone REALLY wants something different/higher quality than all the flashlight options that are already available on the market, they will need to mod or scratch built it themselves.

Off topic question, do like the steel or polymer version ? Didn’t know how much the weight difference handles.

I’d be in for 1 to store in my car or home as a “flashlight” (wink wink)