QLite Driver Question???

This is probably a silly question to some of you elite modders here, but there’s something I don’t understand about the drivers. I get you can either add or remove the 7135 chips and that their worth 350 ma a piece, but what does a standard driver come with and how do you know whether you need to add or remove? For example, when I modded my C8 with a red drop in, I was told to buy a qlite rev driver with 6 chips removed. How do you come to that conclusion?

The red LED is only rated for 700 mA, so only two 7135s are needed.

i have one question too:

if i dive up with transistors bvb 1x350 mah and i soldering the star with moonlight-low-mid-high how are they than ?

moonlight+350 low+350………?

Well, you need to do some research about leds first. You can find a lot of information right here. There are stickys showing all of the popular leds and once you read the spec sheets, you will see what the amperage range is. From there, you just need to read lots of mod threads, because modders tend to run higher than recommended amperage on leds, pushing them hard, to the breaking point.

As a general rule, most Cree XP, XB, XR, dies will run up to 1.5-2 amps safely (EDIT: the colored leds are lower amperage, look at the cree website for all their spec sheets that's what we do) and most XM dies will run up to 3-4 amps safely. After that it's pushing the led past specs and that's where things like copper stars and large heat sinks come in. Standard Qlite drivers are 8x7135, but the base linear driver, found in many variants can have from 2 to 8 7135 chips on it. You can find them from sources like Kaidomain.

Try this forum and read the stickys there and in the sub-forums.

That answered a lot of my questions. We all have to start somewhere. Ty

Nowadays the common driver has 8 chips and depending on the bin(350mA or 380 mA per chip) has an output of 2.8 or 3A. You can buy drivers with fewer chips and you can also buy drivers with space for only 4 chips and the other components all on one side(like the AK-47). The type of host it is used in determines which type of board to use. A P60 drop in type with a large ground spring coiled around the pill can use either type but a host where the battery tube makes direct contact with the large ground ring on the driver needs the single sided AK-47 type which are often twisty’s(no switch but turn the head for on/off). There are tons if variations but this should give you an idea of why they are different.

Great. I have learned a ton from this thread. Thanks again.

Mind = blow :D