Question on Convoy S2+

Purchased the UV variant a few months ago and just received the seperate UV filter/lens yesterday.

Do I replace original glass lens or add the new one to the existing? Anything to be especially attentive to…squishing o-ring, spinning relector etc???

Replace it. Pops right out, ZWB2 pops right in, but make sure the O-ring that’ll likely stick to the front-inside of the bezel doesn’t shift or fall out.

Also, take lint-free wipes or a moist/damp tissue and while you got the filter right there, clean all the dust off.

When you see dust on the inside that you can’t wipe off, it’ll drive you absolutely buggy. At least it did me.

You will need to replace the existing lens with the UV filter. I did this several months ago and it was pretty straightforward. I didn’t notice a big difference with the filter, but it was pretty cheap, and helps identify it as the UV flashlight.

Awesome! Thank you.

Thanks. I figured the same…I dont have any particularly serious use at the moment, but it was cheap enough and will make the light easily recognizable.

The 1 practical use we have for it around the house is to look for dog accidents. That was my excuse for buying it in the first place and it really does help to find the spots that need to be cleaned. Hopefully some day our newest member to the family will be house trained.

It is also interesting to look around a hotel room with it.

Actually, the filter makes a huge difference.

Without it, there’s lots of “leakage” that makes non-fluorescing stuff look purple, whereas with it, it essentially shows nothing unless the item fluoresces.

I got a plain UV emitter (365nm) in a ’501, no filter, and an S2+ UV (also 365nm). Despite the beams being different in size, they “showed” essentially the same thing, that purple leakage. After I put the filter in, that’s what showed up the difference!

What fluoresces won’t look any different with or without the filter, but what doesn’t fluoresce will! Purple without, nothing/black with.

I was a bit of a hard sell. I didn’t think it’d make a difference, ’til I tried it. Now I’m sold. :smiley:

+1

I actually decided not to put the filter in mine, because I felt the purple glow might be a useful warning sign if I ever managed to not quite click the switch properly and unwittingly leave the light running. I really don’t fancy having unexpected UV bouncing around the place, given how damaging it can be to the human eye.

For “storage” (ie, any time I’m not actively using it), I just do a quick TCLO and it’s done.

My bigger concern is that I don’t know if the UV S2+ has LVP or not. Stray UV would be the least of my concerns if the light were to drain the cell dry and have it go supernova on my coffee table or something.

And besides, the LED is a bit overdriven from what I recall. Leaving it on would be a Bad Thing for the little critter.

So, all that piled up, I make sure it’s turned off.

Agreed, although I remove the cell. This light doesn’t see enough action to be annoyed by having to put the cell in each time I use.

I did NOT see any confirmation about LVP either.

With my Convoy Nichia UV flashlight, the filter didn’t make a noticeable improvement since there wasn’t much visible light in the first place.

Here’s some testing djozz did on the ZWB2 filter with various UV LEDs: 2mm ZWB2 filter tested. So when I installed the filter, I wasn’t expecting much of an improvement.

It certainly appears to make an improvement with the non-Nichia UV LEDs.

I recall reading the same issue about the Convoy UV flashlights being overdriven and causing problems with the LEDs. But Simon now uses a copper DTP MCPCB. So even though they are still driven at 700mA, the LEDs can now handle the current.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on UV light safety :+1: I already take the cell out when I’m not using the light, but it’s good to get that cross-check of ideas.

I also have a label keyring on it saying “WARNING UV LIGHT DO NOT USE” since it looks exactly like a normal black S2+. Between the label and the cell being out, I hopefully won’t get someone picking it up, clicking it on and then looking in the front because “it isn’t working” :person_facepalming:

The bit about being able to see the purple light is just to help me make sure it really is off in between bursts of use in a given session.