Questions about UV and IR LED lights

I have a 940 nm dropin in a 501B… it’s a real pain in the ass… you never know if the light is on or off. Easy to kill a battery.

Most cameras, even B&W ones, have very poor response at 940 nm. Even my 3rd gen night vision equipment doesn’t do all that well with it.

Do you have another 940 led to compare it to?
If its really poor I’d be wondering if your dropin is working to its full power /defective.
I mean while 940 isn’t as bright as 850 at an equal power I have heard someone who had to go through several of those 501B IR lights to find one that worked well.

Is there only a single emitter die in your dropin’s led or more?

Gen III frequency response drops off sharply at ~900nm. I’ve read some gen II devices can have a response extended to 950. While technically gen II they are enhanced to the point of images comparable with gen III.

Watching :beer:

Hi there Bort. I’ll add my UV lights to the mix.

Manafont UV Drop-in $11

Manafont UV Drop-in $9.20

Manafont UV Drop-in $9

Kaidomain UV Drop-in $9.25

Kaidomain $11.20

Solarforce UV Drop-in $14.99

Solarforce L2 Host $11.50

Solarforce L2M $10.99

I’ve got the Manafont $9, the Manafont $11 , the Kaidomain $11.20 and the Solarforce $14.99 not much to choose between them in use really, the Kaidomain $11.20 runs between 3.6 and 18v, I’ve got plenty of extension tubes but haven’t tried it with anything but 1 18650 - yet,

I put them in “rotation” in a Solarforce L2N trying to see the difference, the Solarforce is 380-450nm, the Manafont $11 is 380nm and the Kaidomain doesn’t specify.

Using a Solarforce L2M and the $9 Manafont could get you a quality UV light for $20.

I use mine “charging” glow in the dark paint and powder, they all are superb for this, charging-up the glow in seconds.

Probably don’t need to say this but DON’T look into the light. 8)

Did anyone tried to mod IR drop in?

I presume you asking about moding it to overdrive the led. Not all leds handle overdriving well so instead I would just move up to better higher power IR leds. Or maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to get some orlson black ir leds. :party:

You want good heatsinking for your drop in if your going to try overdriving.

Yes I mean exactly this.

Did some of you guys tried to do that?

Of course… good heatsinking is very important.

Doesn’t seem like there are many on blf who get into ir.
You might have a better chance of getting answers on overdriving ir at a nightvision or gun forum.

I just posted a little thread on my UV drop-in. Currently over-driven.

Very interesting thread, home made UV. The results look great. 8)
It’s difficult to tell exactly from the photos but yours looks to have more powerful throw with a definite hot spot in the centre.

The first thing I do when I buy a lens is to buy the relevant size UV filter for it, more to protect the lens from damage than for any effect, now I’ll have to remove some for photographing UV. :bigsmile:

Sorry, double post.

I think that IR should be more interesting than UV.

Think about possibility to play with light and your neighbors can not see anything…

You are 100% stealthy with this.

It can work with any(and cheapest one) nightvison devices.

i seen a “badly” dedomed XM-L where most of the phosphor was removed, and it emitted a strong UV light. i found a fiew strong XR-E UV emitter on ebay for experimenting with. i never played with many IR lights though yet.

What is the UV light for? You know you cant see it and it can cause cancer on whatever skin surface it can get to right? Especially a powerful emitter.

UV is for:

- Money checking

• Blood trail searching(in combination with luminol)

And maybe(I am not sure) for solarium… If so maybe it is not so skin harmful…

Not trying to high jack this thread. I think this question will draw more interest in this thread and which may result in getting some answers to the OP question.

I think more people would be interesting in IR if they had the equipment to see it. I would be. I live in the woods and would love to have the option to see at this spectrum. Some animals would probably be more visible as they tend to camouflage well with brown fur.

So I hope the OP doesn’t mind me asking this this question here. Does anyone know of any decent budget IR/night vision devices (goggles, binoculars, etc)? Links would be appreciated.

I know some cameras will pick up IR, my cell phone camera will. Not sure how well it would work as night vision though

Any 1+ gen night vison rifle scope or cheap monoculars like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Visionking-SD-4-5x50-mm-Night-Vision-scope-monocular-IR-Retail-Wholesale/493636262.html

I can hook you up with Gen 2 or Gen 3 night vision equipment (US mil spec based stuff, not Chinese/Russian crap). You gotta have $500-$5000 burning a hole in your pocket, though.

got a gen3 that will handle a .50 bmg? thinking about doing some coyote hunting this winter