Questions on Budget XM-L types including Keygos Ke1 , Ke2 and Ke 5

Looking at some budget Xm-Ls for my second torch.

I want one that will tailstand and have a long run time( 4- 10 hours) on the medium mode at about 100 to 200 lumens.

The Keygos lights have very impressive beams and it looks like the Ke1 will not tailstand, the Ke 2 MIGHT tailstand and the Ke5 definitely will with its cutout tail and recessed clicky.

What are the differences between these 3 Keygos Models other than cosmetic ?

Looks like I can get the Ke 2 at about $15-20 and the Ke 5 at about $24 to 30 including shipping from the same Ebay seller I just dealt with who got me my Saik 18650 7 watt Zoom in about 2 weeks after the Auction.

If it will tailstand, I might even be happy with the Ultrafire XM-L which is only 10 -12 dollars on Ebay.

If I'm going to spend $30, I could get the really nice Solarforce L2, but prefer to get a cheaper one.

- Will the Solarforce L2t tailstand ?

So what are your recommendations- a little more flood is fine as i don't have a specific need-just though it would be cool to have an XM-L- but want something that won't burn up or fall apart or overheat on medium setting for long periods.

The Saik Cree 5 can be left on for 3 hours on hi setting and just gets warm, a very nice light from flood to throwing a pretty tight beam, and lights up a 10 X12 room nicely as a candle flood.

This was my first foray into the `18650, and first Torch and as I thought- it's a real powerhouse battery in a small package, very economical also.

I'm surprised that devices using these 18650s are not more popular in USA, as mentioned before, people at Radio Shack and even battery stores like Batteries Plus have no idea what they are- amazing.

I don't know anything about the 1 and 2, but the Ke5 is a decent light. Based on reviews of the 3 and from pics, it looks like the Ke5 is your best bet.

Perhaps you can ask this fellow about his Ke1.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3977

Ian has both a ke2 and Ke5 and recommends the 5.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3978

I have the 5, and it's a nice looking light. A good mix of throw and flood, more so on the throw. Go for the 5. Check out my sig for a video compared to an X9.

Still waiting for a new DMM to arrive so I can get tailcap readings. On my KE-1, I would guess that mid is closer to 300 lumen than it is to 200. Will try to do a run time test on mid tomorrow. I think that 4hr would likely be near the upper limit but haven't tested it yet.

Did just finish a run time test on low using an unknown ultrafire red 3000 mah. Day 1 ran 9 hrs, day 2 ran 9.75 hrs and day 3 ran 4.75 hrs. At the end it was about or below my 2 AA mini mag. However, at about 20 hrs it was still considerably more bright that the mini-mag with fresh batteries. Probably over 50 lumen. Guess fresh low at somewhere between 50 and 100 lumen.

I would be tempted to get one of the 3 mode clones as I hate the strobes. However, I also don't have tail cap readings so I don't know for sure how good or bad this clone is. I really like it. It is the brightest light I own. It has a huge amount of usable spill and a decent amount of throw. Noticeably brighter than my P60, C1, XM-L. Also much better throw. However, I think the C1 is only driven at 1.4a. Will know more later this week assuming my new DMM comes in. I really like the beam from this light compared with the P60 as the KE-1, to me, provides more flood and throw. Not sure how much of that is reflector and how much is from more power.

FWIW, at the moment, I think I got lucky with the red ultrafire I got on a lowball bid on ebay. Waiting to compare it to the Xtar from Summer. So far don't notice any brightness difference but have yet to do the run-time. Will try to do your answer on the mid first however. I will test that with the Xtar to make it a more reliable reference.

I think the KE-5 might have a bit better throw. Something tells me that sometime in the next year I will answer that;-) I think that the KE-5 has a little wider and deeper reflector than the KE-1

For me, tail standing is also important. It was pretty easy to unscrew the switch and put an o-ring under the switch boot. That brought it in just enough so that the light tail stands just fine. I am typing this with the KE-1 tail standing on low. Gives a decent amount of light to the room. I can actually read the keyboard without having to turn the keyboard lighting on. With mid, it is pretty much like having a regular 18w CPF lamp turned on. (I know I just said mid was about 300 lumen, and that is still my guess. I know that the CPF would be rated in the ballpark of 700. I don't know why a tailstanding 300 lumen flashlight appears to put out the light of a 700 lumen CPF.)

Hope some of this rambling was useful.

BTW, CPF above refers to compact fluorescent. I could make a remark about another meaning of that acronym... Better to just say that, other than my wallet and addiction, I am very happy to have found BLF!

Wade

Fishmaniac- thanks and How Crazy- your answer was very interesting and informative.

As a complete novice- good to know that I will hopefully be able to Mod a Ke1 if I get one of those- for some reason the Ke 2 and especially the Ke5s are much higher priced on Ebay.

I like to use my first torch that I got a week ago ( Saik sa 9 Cree 5 Zoom ) as a standing light as well and will probably use the middle mode on an XM-L that way also- the Keygos has 5 modes and the nice bodied Solarforce LT2 is a light that omits the flashing modes .

I love how powerful the 18650 batteries are and even the Cree Q5 is pretty amazing to me.

Thanks again for your detailed response- the Keygos can be a real bargain on Ebay .

FWIW, on a fresh off the charger Xtar 2600 mah battery I would guesstimate about a 300 lumen mid. It ran for 3:35 before kicking into low mode. Would guess that the lumen output dropped closer to 200 somewhere around 2 hrs (Perhaps 3? I forgot). When it went into low it was probably a bit dimmer than its normal low. Likely under 75 lumen.

Will have to repeat this test with my ultrafire red "3000" mah battery to see if it is in the same ballpark.

If anyone who knows these things is reading this, if my guesstimate of about 300 lumens is accurate. Is an XM-L putting out that light for 3:35 about right for a 2600 mah battery?

Thanks,

EDIT 10/25 I made a typo originally when I said it only put out for 2:35 on mid. It actually ran for 3:35. Sorry for the mistake. Was just adding up my run time tests on low and noticed on my notes for the mid test that I started it at 18:00 and ended it at 21:35. Wasn't using military time on my notes or I don't think I would have made that error;-)

Wade

The basic L2T will not tailstand but they sell one that does have a tailstanding reverse clicky switch now for just a little more if at all more.

Edit: In fact I just now pulled the trigger on it myself after getting the link for you. This will be my first SF torch so I will finally be able to see for myself what all the fuss is about.

Not clear from the pictures but looks like it might. If it does, it looks like this is a good deal for a solarforce. No strobe and fairly decent mode arrangement. Looks like a very good price for what you get compared to the $18 body reference above and the 3 mode drop in for another $15 or so.

Wade

That does appear to be the tail standing switch and if you don't already have a drop-in then it's a great deal. I already have an Ultra fire 3-mode sitting unused in a 501b so I just went with the cheapest for me.

Hmm, thought you might say that... Still holding off for now but it is very tempting. I have a C1 XM-L so I don't really need it but everyone keeps saying how wonderful these things are!

For now I'm holding of for an X9 I think.

Wade