Rating: GearBest.com [AVOID]

People with college aged children have learned that any disagreement with them about any issue is called “hating”.

This thread is about rating a flashlight store, escalating it to (or dismissing it as) “hate” and mentioning banning is just bizarre, and childish.

This thread is about our experience as consumers with Gearbest, if it seems repetitive, well, that is how they earned their avoid rating.

What I try to do with companies like GB is to take my experience as a whole. Like a gambler, I’m looking at the odds over time and not just one hand. With discounts this steep, even if I get totally screwed on one of ten orders, then I’m still way ahead of the “house”.

In actuality for me, it’s about one out of ten orders that something minorly annoying happens. If I’m at a five star restaurant, the entire experience better be perfect for what it costs. But if you’re giving me four star food at McDonald’s prices, then yeah, I’ll probably cut you some slack, within reason.

Some people get more frustrated than others, and without greatly managed expectations about these budget sellers, the entire experience is going to be frustrating. But looking at it in a cold, rational manner, it’s gambling where the odds are skewed in your favor because PayPal favors the buyer, and rightly so.

There have a been a few sellers like BuyInCoins that just rubbed me the wrong way, or in their case, sent me 4 of my first 4 orders where the contents of the package were either fake, missing or pulverized into many pieces. But it’s gambling, and some days the bear gets you. So, I don’t begrudge anyone who won’t use a particular seller. I just try to go from personal experience when I can.

I was looking around for Cyber Monday deals and happened on Everbuying (which is also an AVOID). But it struck me that the graphics and feel was like Gearbest. Looking it up on google, some people suggested that they were affiliated or the same company.

Geekbuying also appears to be the same as those other two.

On topic - I also received my 30Q’s, all 8 of them were “packed” exactly the same way as Hannoveraners, what a let down to see that they dont give a shit about proper product packaging. Im not sure if its safe to use those batteries after the damaged they have sustained and what appears to be either just a glue under the wrapper or liquid.

Also, two LED’s on 20mm stars that I ordered from them both came with scratched domes, one XP-E green and one XR-E green, just meh, meh!

Will post pictures later with batteries and also how items from Ebay come packed(LED’s) and how from Gearbest…

Just huge disappointment, I really didnt think they could go lower than that.

I also received an order of 9 batteries packed the same way. Terrible practice, but they did arrive undamaged nonetheless. Ordered 11/6, delivered 11/28.

My opinion of them waxes and wanes just reading these posts.

Being ‘semi’ altruistic, sometimes when I read a post depicting a fellow members plight, I throw up my hands and swear that I will never order another thing from them. - But to be fair - I have to say that I have received Everything that I have ordered from them; only one order requiring a little work, wrestling with their CS.

So where am I with them today? - I have a Blue Convoy S2+ on order for 12.95. - Actual cost to me was $15.60, with the upgraded shipping and insurance. - Ordered 11/26 and of course still ‘processing’. - I have grown to expect that.

On The Other Hand (yes, I spelled it out;), I have placed 3 orders with Banggood, and 3 orders with Xtar, all on the same day as the Gearbest order. ALL have Shipped! - Also, one order with Hobby King, and no news so far.

Go Figure :wink:

… then let me know what you came up with… I dunno;-)

-Chuck
PS - If I get a ‘Fake’ Blue S2+, I’m not gonna be pleased at all! - Time will tell… Do your stuff, Gearbest!

:slight_smile:

EDIT: My Blue S2+ (Gearbest) has shipped!

Is that my experience has been good. Was worried as I read posts about a bunch of bad experiences after I placed a number of orders (1st on Oct 15) but have been satisfied so far. Have made numerous orders, some with batteries, none with tracking (excepting the most recent battery order where the tracking was mandatory and system would not me uncheck the option)

Received 3 30q’s today, each packaged individually in plastic then all three wrapped in foam and then taped up nice as you please and put in the envelope. Arrived in perfect condition 31 days from placing the order.

Seems to be a lottery and so far and I seem to be winning

“Seems to be a lottery and so far and I seem to be winning”

Maybe, maybe not - Members here have sure complained enough about the condition of the 30Q, that it could be either way. - They might have taken measures to improve things in general - I hope so!

Glad to see that you are Happy!

-Chuck

Been pm'ing with Karen - gave her pics of foam wraps that other vendors are using - she was interested in seeing what they did. Hope it will turn around. Sounds like Dba's order was done right - might be the shipper, location shipped from, individual, etc.

The suppliers need to do a better job of packaging batteries BUT with that said I have received batteries from almost everybody that have come nicely packaged and "in a bag". While not preferred to receive batteries "in a bag" that does not mean that the batteries are bad by any means. Packaging is a safety issue for shipping. If they get to us then they are undoubtedly fine because they did not short. I do not understand the "pretty" battery.

What is disheartening about these threads is that they have a tendency to perpetuate themselves. In other words, even when people read this thread they still purchase and then come here and ask if they should file a PP claim or just complain in general to use the forum as a "hammer". It is really bad when people make their first or second post here. That is BS.

This forum does have clout - without question but as I have said before this forum is not here (in my opinion) to be used as an online weapon to vendors except in the extreme of cases WITH ONLY ONE POST STATING THE PROBLEM and maybe a second if there was a resolution....not 50 people jumping on the wagon.

For those that are really worried about battery packaging then there are two alternatives that I can vouch for:

1. Mountain Electronics
  2. Illuminations

Both package batteries nicely. Do they cost more?..... Especially for outside the US?......Sure they do but when people buy on price then they get what they get with no room to complain. The Chinese vendors are trying and to help them improve is one thing but to just complain about them will eventually drive them away one by one. When that happens prices will go up for sure....just like they used to be years ago.

Sorry, bugsy, but I totally disagree with you.

Its Gearbests fault and they have known about these packaging issues for a while, yet people still get batteries shipped in this terrible packaging and its not customers fault when we receive damaged goods which get damaged only because of total shippers disregard to product packaging and safety.

How come some report getting their batteries shipped in proper manner while others dont?

Quoting US sellers is not resolution, because its Gearbest that people are having problems with, not other known Chinese sellers here.

I ordered 4 Samsung 2.2A batteries from GB this summer, they came fine, how come these came looking like they spent their time in a trash bin?

Lately I’ve been getting unprotected NCR18650B cells 6 for $28 from DoingOutdoor’s Amazon store—less than 5 bucks a piece.

I also got 4 KeepPower 3400 from the same store for $47, just a little more than Illumination Supply but with 2 day prime shipping. $44 if you don’t mind waiting a few days.

Since they can be dangerous, and since I know someone who’s been out of work a month and was hospitalized because an 18650 cell “turned into a roman candle” on him, I don’t buy lithium-ion cells direct from China. I still would say the odds are in your favor of getting good ones, but I’m a little risk averse when it comes to shit that can explode.

I cannot answer why the batteries were packaged like they were......

The mention of US sellers is just to make the point that there are alternatives that people refuse because of cost alone and no other reason.....

But the solution is simple......Just do not buy....but we know that will never happen because people will always return to the cheaper price and still keep complaining making this thread useless....that is unless the vendors cut them off.

BTW...respectfully speaking....ALL the overseas vendors have had this problem at one time or another.

I used to have a saying in my shop and it went like this: If I gave it away for free people would still ask if I could do better than that. LOL

This will always hold true:

1. Quality
  2. Time
  3. Cost

You can only get two LOL

Doesn’t FastTech send their 18650 batteries in plastic boxes? FastTech is quality.

Yep, all my batteries from Gearbest came dirty and extremely poorly packed. However, they’ve all worked and measured at good voltages on arrival. I also personally haven’t had any other issues with GB.

My two wishes for GB:

1. Improve battery packaging
  2. Add more shipping options with discounts for order cost (like FT does)

I find myself going back to FT more and more for their fast and cheap shipping options.

Yes, they used to, but not anymore, for a long time already.

I think they all sell the plastic boxes separately now.

Edit to the post above: I wonder why mine was not sent in a box on my last 3 orders.

I would say ‘probably’ instead of ‘undoubtedly’. It would make me very nervous to trust a damaged battery when it’s unattended. A good hard pinch inside could have punctured layers and create a short I imagine. At least for the unlucky among us. Not that a few layers shorted would guarantee and explosion, but it would sure screw up the performance.

Well, IIRC, I stopped receiving cells in plastic boxes during those times when shipping by air was not allowed by almost all carriers, Wallbuys even have to shipped it wrapped in rubber iPhone cases free-of-charge just to evade detection I believe, and FT will only ship via Surface Mail, just like almost all the rest I believe at that time.

My country is just 1.5 hours away by commercial plane from Hongkong….perhaps it depends on what country you are in.

@Skytrooper: make no mistake, I am not arguing with what you are receiving!

From what I recall, Gearbest also send the batteries inside plastic container, IF, and only IF the stock batteries come inside plastic container, for eg. Keeppower and Olight batteries. All my Keeppower and Olight batteries ordered from GB did come inside their original hard cases.
I ordered some Keeppower batteries from Banggood and they came individually wrapped inside bubble wrap, instead of original Keeppower case.
When I emailed BG on why my Keeppower batteries did not come in Keeppower plastic cases unlike those from GB, BG replied that to keep cost low, they did not order the stock case from their supplier, and I was like “Hmmmm!!”

Anyway, for those stock batteries like NCR18650B that I ordered from GB, they came inside ziplock bag without any bubble-wrap protection whatsoever, so I know that GB don’t give a hoot in properly pack these loose batteries for shipping

Hi guys, sorry about the package issues, if any one receive the bad package, please PM me your order number, picture of the package,damage about the products, and suggesting package picture, now we are gathering these feedback and suggestion, so we could improve it in the future, thanks for your kindly help