Re: User Interface Step Down/Cycle Controls

Hey guys, I need some help and input from you “pros” here about this concerning issue.

I have some questions in regard to control mode/brightness level user interface.

1. Do you guys prefer selector dial ring brightness adjustment control interface? And reason why?

2. Do you guys prefer single control rear clicky only? And reason why?

3. Do you guys prefer both rear clicky and side switches? And reason why?

How do these control buttons with each other? Please advise.

The reason is I do not own any type of selector dial ring flashlights. I am looking to buy older Thrunite light that is controlled by dial selector ring control.

Selector rings are extremely intuitive and easy to use. They’re a great interface.

That said, they do have some disadvantages. The ring needs to be kept properly greased and free of dirt or it becomes loose or gritty. Also, the ring takes a significant amount of space. Flashlights with simpler one-button interfaces can typically be made significantly shorter and usually and cost less.

My favorite form of interface is a well-executed one-button side-clicky, like on Zebralights or the Emisar D4. The one-button interface puts every function under the control of the thumb and is quite comfortable.

Depends on the light’s intended use. General-purpose, EDC, “tactical”, utility, etc.

Want simple, try the magnetic slider of the DV-S9.