Real life use of Jacob A60?

I’ve got this Jacob A60 because I wanted to see what a thrower could do and all the talk about how awesome it is…
but apart from the fact I use it to shove a light beam in the sky to show off to friends, I haven’t found a real life use for this one.
It is the dedicated shelf queen. So what you guys use it for?

Pencil beam lights do have more limited application.

The A60 however makes a very good little scope mounted rifle light - once you have found your target animal with a broader beam light.

I’m planning on mounting it to an AR15, but I’m guessing it might not put out enough lumens though it does throw far.

It’ll probably end up as yours has… if it ever gets here. :\

I don’t see a use for a pencil-beam thrower. They’re not versatile because you have to keep the beam moving to see anything. Even my Trustfire X9 and Small Sun T620, despite having XM-Ls in 60mm reflectors, still have a usefully-sized hotspot and a significant amount of spill over a wide area, so they’re very practical for walking the dog. I can envision circumstances when you would need that kind of throw, but none that have a high enough chance of happening to justify carrying around a C8 sized light that behaves like a zoomie one or two mm’s off of of full focus.

The A60 is pretty much a toy unless you put a XM-L in it, IMHO. But who’s to say a toy can’t still be used? You can commute in a sports car or go on a grocery run with it, it’s lots of fun to do once in awhile but tiring on a consistent basis. I should just keep my Convoy M1 by the door for when I walk the dog at night, but I cycle through all my lights for dogwalk duty. I’ve used my Trustfire X6 the last couple of nights just because I can and will do so in future.

I’m using mine, as it has the offset led, to think about it in what to turn it into. I dont know yet so it still has some use for awhile.

Hmm. I have several of them. A few modded. A few not.

I like that they have only little spill because when pointing it at distant objects, normally animals, I retain much of my night vision. And the little spill is enough for me to move quietly towards the animal.

Anyone living somewhere with big open fields could do this. Some just dont like it. They prefer the surrounding area lit up also I guess. Different strokes for different folks.

link?
the throwiest light i have is a C8, how does this compare?

http://www.aurabuy.com/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-torch-w-strap-black-1-18650.html

Tighter hotspot, more throw, less lumens, less spill according to several threads…. I don’t have mine yet to verify though (There are a ton of threads and posts that confirm the crazy throw for such a small, inexpensive light).

Aurabuy has the best price, but seem to use a very slow shipping service. A little over 3 weeks and it’s not here yet. :frowning:

not received in 3 weeks is no big surprise, give it another week or two before getting concerned

i wonder how much reduced the hotspot would be with an xp-g2 or xm-l2?

Someone recently modded one with an xml2 iirc. Required cutdown of the reflector a bit.

Jacob A60 Review

Unknown’s description is right on. Also, A60’s do about 50-65k in throw stock, most C8’s do about 25-35k. Both can have higher or lower #’s since there are many variations of both, especially the C8’s.
A60’s are good when you want limited spill, but good throw. C8’s (XML based) are good all around lights with decent throw and spill.

For those who asked about the spot, my driveway gate is 16 feet wide and 120 meters from my living room. The A60 doesn’t quite illuminate the entire gate… maybe 15 feet or so. It does, however, do a pretty good job of lighting up that 15 foot circle at 120 meters.

I use mine for longer distance shooting at night when I want something light.

200k lux means you can shoot wayyyyy out there, and its so light having 1x18650, alloy reflector etc you dont even notice it on your rifle.

I also have a few 140k lux c8’s that have a slightly bigger hotspot and better all round construction, and fit on lower mounts which is always cool.

Put it this way, if you can see it with an a60, you can shoot it, otherwise its not worth worrying about :slight_smile:

But I bought a 500k lux BTU shocker anyway

Chris

That’s a pretty good way to illustrate. Would be really nice if we could compare the spot & spill to other LEDs at the same distance.

As mentioned the a60 would be great on a scoped rifle. It can also be used as a sort of laser sight at close range with the advantage of actually providing light. I practice with this method as a fall back incase I don’t have time to draw a bead on the bad guy.