Recommend a Direct Drive MOSFET for a single lion cell driver

Yes and probably $40 for shipping +customs.
In US, easy, probably very. Outside US? Not at all. I got mine from Vishay directly. Asked only for 5 which should be enough for me and my tinkering, hard to beat the price of free samples. Would buy them, if there was any place that wouldn’t charge me ten times more for shipping. No local stores have it.

And I don’t really need 1000 units reel to justify for the higher shipping costs.

I will try it soon, desoldered all chips yesterday and got some tools today. Will proceed to make one to test if it works well. Then I will make another one if the direct driver works well in my application.

That’s to optimistic. :wink:
The UPS customs handling fee alone is 40$ (FedEx ~20$ I think) plus 25$ shipping fee if your ordered value is below 90$ plus customs fee (here at least 19% EU import VAT)
So, yeah, ordering from overseas like DigiKey or Mouser is just insane. Farnell and RS Components don’t do business with private customers over here (anymore), but maybe in your country?

Farnell? Hmm, I knew people used to buy things there, those that do electronics. I thought it’s an Uk shop, so shopping there in EU should be fine. Except the prices and shipping costs XD

Yes I checked digikey and mouser and so on. The shipping costs go sky high.
It’s “only” 21% VAT here with an order over 22EUR ~= 29USD. Let alone that makes it not worth it.

I have no idea what you are doing JackCY but it looks amazing. It astounds me how you guys solder such tiny things.

Hot air & solder paste, it's like magic. :D

Solder paste and reflow oven… even better: DIY Reflow Oven

An oven or hot air would be great :smiley:
Paste is a must, it makes reflowing so much easier.
I think I will just put the board on my emitter reflow = piece of copper, since the opposite side will be clean of any components. Hoping it will heat through the PCB board to the other side.

Hot air, hmm, only have a big air gun, not sure that would not make the components or even the driver fly away.

If none works, I’ll just solder the darn pads with a soldering iron. That’s another possibility, heat up individual pads and make the paste solder.

What’s it doing? Replacing all 7135s with a mosfet that will switch the current the same way, but with almost unlimited current through it and minimum voltage drop. Direct driving what ever you connect to it.

Are there direct drive drivers? Maybe, some, haven’t heard of a good one that can be reprogrammed.

Reflowing on a piece of copper should work well. The heat does get to the topside of a pcb ok. What heat source do you use, stove?

Lots of people do reflow like that, referred to as “hot plate reflow”. And you can do it anywhere with minimal tools. I’ve used a kitchen meat thermometer to keep an eye on the temp, avoid burning components. I’ve done nanjg 105c drivers, remove bottom components, hotplate reflow the topside. No problem :bigsmile:

I use a butane torch, with a catalyst tip adapter so no fire comes out, only hot air.

How well does it work for you? Would you know the brand/model you have? Built-in igniter?

I read a bunch of reviews that claim various problems. Hard to light, keep lit, junk models. Reviewer could just be a tool idiot tho. Better looking ones seem a bit costly for what it is. So it makes you wonder if it would be better to just go for an inexpensive temp, flow controlled hot air station.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=43

Despite what it says there it doesn't have an igniter, have to use a lighter. But with the catalyst adapter thing it's impossible to blow out as there is no flame. There's a spring loaded shroud that exposes a little ignition port, you light the flame and let it run for a few seconds, then release the shroud and the flame goes out, and the catalyst then burns the fuel.

The catalyst torches are common in jewelry making and the like, there are fancier models with self-igniters but of course, for more money (http://www.solder-it.com). Mine was just what happened to be on the shelf at the local Lowe's.

I have a Solomon SL-30, looks like this. It has 50W and reflows emitters or copper blocks fine. Good to know that it’s possible to reflow the other side of a board, I haven’t tried that yet, haven’t had the need to.

I don’t do anything on the stove or oven. No electronics in the kitchen for me, I cook there, not solder.

SiR4242DP works well, as PPtk suggested it and probably works well for him in his applications.

Had a bad layout before, removed old links to not confuse someone.
Was shoring source and gate. Vishay shows bottom view of the part, not top view…
For surface mounted parts, I don’t know how that is useful because it is not.

Wrong layout on the PCB, but it shows you how it is done.

Had to turn the part around.
Here are two options of connecting it, with the first one you need to connect the gate by a trace that you need to add to connect the gate pad to a signal trace.

The second one allows to put the mosfet more inside the PCB’s center and does not need any new traces. Problem is, it may short signal trace and output trace if it manages to solder on the trace cut edge. It did not for me, although I used extra new traces for source and drain because I had cut there before and wanted to make it more solidly routed. I doubt it would solder there especially when not putting any paste near it but one never knows and has to check before plugging the driver anywhere.

And the result:

Works with an XM-L U3 fine but it pushes 3A soon so a resistor was used for testing the higher currents, 0.47ohm, 5W only so I have to watch not to burn it.
The XM-L U3 was hitting 3A at 3.3V or 3.4V hence I had to switch to the resistor.

Powered from my PSU although the PSU screams a little with the load, dunno why, probably because it’s lines are unbalanced and the load is PWM.
Can’t measure what it gives as voltage under load so it’s an idle voltage, 5V is loaded and should be stable, 3.3V line shows 3.4V but I guess it drops to 3.3V once it’s loaded.

nlite firmware, 18kHz PWM, 5–33–100% modes.

Load
0.47ohm (5W ceramic under a fan, poor thing even smelled once)

Test #1
U: 3.3V
L: 0.3A
M: 2.1A
H: 5.8A

Calculated total resistance 3.3/5.8 = 0.57ohm, means 0.1ohm on all connections and the mosfet combined if resistor really has 0.47ohm.

Test #2
U: 5V
L: 0.4A
M: 2.7A
H: 7.9A

Calculated total resistance 5/7.9 = 0.63ohm, means 0.16ohm on all connections and the mosfet combined.

Soldered connections apart from the PSU connection and I hold two wires on/off as a switch.
Can measure up to 20A, indirect, ACS712, 0.1A resolution on my meter.

Cables on the driver are maybe 4”, probably 0.5mm^2.

It should be doing more, but with all the resistances that add up on the route it does the above.

PSU should give 3.3V/28A and 5V/30A, hopefully it does under load.

The driver is dead cold, mosfet especially.
Even pushing it at the 8A I did not notice the mosfet getting any warm. Only a smell and a hot resistor J)

At 5V, 6mohm, it really doesn’t give a damn about 0.384W being dissipated on it. It’s rated 3.1-4.8W depending on temperature. At lower voltages it goes to 10mohm at 3.3V and 20mohm at 3.0V (datasheet). Even if it would give 15A at 3.0V with 20mohm, it dissipates 4.5W. At 3.3V, 10mohm, 20A with 4W on the mosfet. 4.5V, 7mohm, 25A, 4.375W. It’s rated around 20A.

I think the traces or flashlight would caught on fire sooner than the mosfet would die.

IMPORTANT:
When I drive it on 5V PSU and have it in low mode, it switches after a short while automatically into medium mode. I think this is because the capacitor on the ATtiny13A does not filter the voltage enough. It’s the only mode and combination when it does that, consistently. Maybe it interferes with the PSU, dunno.

I also wasn’t able to reprogram the ATtiny when the capacitor was missing, dunno why it needs it, but without it it won’t reprogram… it acts as if it does not see the ATtiny.
With my DIY clip it can be reprogrammed even in this position when the mosfet is closer to the MCU. And should be fine with other clips too unless you have some crazy beefy clip, then just file the plastic off the clip :stuck_out_tongue:

I will try moon mode now and try running it from an 26650, protected, may even try the unprotected Samsung 18650 beast, just don’t want to accidentally short it.

Might add 4-5 AMC7135s to make a medium mode without PWM and avoid the crazy spikes on low mode. That’s always an option.

Have you seen the new SRK clone driver?

It does over 8A from a single 20R into 3 parallel XML2s. I haven't checked it with a single cell & single LED, but it should be way up there still. Might be neat to try one on a East-092 PCB and see what happens.

lol these Chinese “drivers”.

Why do they always limit the current with resistors in series? It’s the cheapest trick ever, lets limit current with more resistance and waste the power as heat.
No idea what mosfet that is, no datasheet found.
The power line has unnecessary 25mohm on the driver to limit the current. These resistors usually get bloody hot. Lets say it does 8A, drop on those resistors then is 0.2V, and they waste 1.6W as heat. Nice :wink:

Removing those will bump it into less resistive direct drive. That obviously will bring the amps and total power up as well.

I only have 2 soldered free XM-Ls that’s why I took the resistor to simulate higher loads and see if it holds up well. It does as expected.

That driver's an easy fix:

Set up like that it pulls more current than any of my meters can measure.

Yup. 3 XM-Ls direct drive? From 3P 18650?
I only hope it has an electronic switch, it looks like it does.

In the higher amperage setups a little resistance can do big loses.

We still miss some decent 2S/3S drivers though, these 1S drivers are easy to make.
Making an efficient switching buck driver is not so much. Nor a boost driver. At least in the 2A+ of output range.

Test #3
TF 26650 4300mAh, protected

U: 4.14V - 4.11V
N: 0.0A
L: 0.5A
M: 2.8A
H: 7.6A+*

Protection trips on high.
And the moon mode is either entered only rarely or quickly jumps to low as I get a reading of 0.5A, then medium 2.8A and then high* very shortly shows on my DMM a jump to 7A+ and it immediately trips the protection.

Guess I shall charge up the Samsung INR18650-20R, unprotected of course and see what it pulls on the 0.47ohm.

I have to run a fan on the resistor, it heats up quickly being rated only for 5W.

This is even more than my PSU at 5V was giving me, guess the connections to the PSU and all the cabling adds resistance that is noticeable at these 5A+ loads. Or it’s the PWM load that interferes with the PSU’s capabilities.

Have the 26650 in a cradle and cables pressed from both sides to it.

Test #4
Samsung INR18650-20R 2000mAh, unprotected

U: 4.20V – 4.13V
N: 0.0A-0.2A?
L: 0.5A
M: 3.1A
H: 8.1A

Found a mode when it gives me 0.2A sometimes. Trying to get it the same as I have my nlite in a flashlight, this classic memory is a piece of …
Ok fixed, still it seems to me that it likes too much to switch to the next mode instead of the first one that is moon. Dunno why, probably the spikes or me switching power on/off with two wires is what causes it. Must be the sparks I hear from the cables when connecting and disconnecting. Could be fixable by enabling brownout and longer start up time.

The battery dips 0.3V under those 8A.
0.1V under 3.1A it seems. And 0V under moon, 0.02V at 0.5A.

3.85V, 8.1A, gives 0.4753ohm, 0.47ohm load, means only 0.0053ohm resistance of all connections O.O
That’s about the resistance of the mosfet and maybe not even that. Damn close, damn low.

Yes that was 31.185W right into that 5W rated resistor. Did I mention it smelled again? 0:)

nice work!

k4212:

nice one, I want to find one in this size with the lower vgs and rds on possible

I will use many mosfet in paralel for get lower rds on