Recommend a Dog walking light for my Girlfriend

I never thought I’d say this about a light by Energizer, but that light looks really nice! lol
Would be the perfect flashlight to give a non flashaholic.

Forget my pm. It’s not nw. Though I wonder if I should disagree with the guys suggesting not to give a muggle a li-ion light. Would a rechargeable olight with magnetic charger be considered dangerous for her?

Agreed. I have a 2xAA and it’s a pretty nice light. Pretty good tint. Clever lens switching. …and pretty cheap. Great for non - oholic.

Those are great, unless you have a dog with a coat that puts a Persian cat’s to shame.

When I take them to the off leash trails at night, they wear a sport harness like this one. Theirs has a holster on the back that holds an 18650 light in beacon mode. It bounces off the back of their head, and works well enough if they’re within 100 yds in the woods. I’ve been thinking about getting a cheap right angle light like the Convoy H1 to see if that works better.

Not recommended: With a shorter haired dog, I tried the glo toob AAA and NiteIze “”slap band”:Amazon.com lights. The glo toob is great - if the dog is heading towards you. The slap band kinda works if you loop it around the collar - until the dog runs enough to let it slip to the bottom of the collar. Then it’s invisible from some angles or in tall grass.

>Leuchtie

Looks great, but the US distributor has quit: https://glowdoggie.com/

That has a pointer to the German source. http://www.leuchtie.com/
and they say there they will sell to the US and Canada directly.

Wow — quite a variety of colors, sizes, battery and charging methods.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Emisar D4v2 from Richard in the USA

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=D4&product_id=984

You can find a review here:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/57232

A Li-ion light with onboard charging and LVP like the TC15 or FC11 is no more dangerous for the average person than a smartphone.

If the end up wanting a slot charger and some spares, then they need a bit more of an education, but it’s still mostly just a matter of buying good stuff and protecting the batteries from short circuits when dealing with single-cell lights that have LVP.

4xAA is four charger slots, or worse, they use alkalines and have a ruined light a few weeks later when the batteries leak. There aren’t many people I know who I’d want to give that to.

Have had the flashlight itch scratched by this forum for nearly a decade now. Have had black Rottweilers for even longer! Started walking the dogs at night due to the heat initially and the habit has stuck. Dog walking is by far the most use I make of any of my flashlights. Starting with a Trustfire R5 and an UltraFire C1 (both long gone), I have been amazed at the usefulness, amount of light, and runtimes these modern LED lights have. Thought the silver C8 was about as good as it got for a dog walking light…

It was only a few months ago that I discovered how great a right angle light with a clip is for an even better EDC and dog walking light. My current dog walking light of choice is an ArmyTek A1 and while I can and do sometimes just clip it to my coat, I can also mount it in the headlamp band without even removing the clip! Far and away the best dog walking light I have.

Clearly my opinion on this is not in the mainstream. Have made a couple of posts since this discovery and by an large the idea seems to be jus a big whatever in the flashlight enthusiast community. So be it. I am just very thankful that I made this discovery and I will continue to enjoy handsfree light from my EDC. Let the purists hold their lights as they pick up doo doo;) I don’t have to do so;)

The neighbor up the road swears by Ruffwear dog lights. Her dog likes to wander. Mine is a pansy, she goes out the door, does her business and gets back in. Wimpiest Pit Bull ever. No fences out here. Anyway the neighbor lady said they are USB rechargeable and last a long time between charges. I don’t know what her idea of a long time is but she is well over 80 so she might be on to something. :smiley:

Your definitely not alone. I have a sneaking suspicion there are a bunch of closet headlamp lovers in the bunch. I didn’t think I would ever need one until a good friend gave me one. It wasn’t anything fancy. Bourit RJ20 I think. Now I have more than a few. Never had to buy one. My buddy keeps giving them to me. He is a headlamp junky. Thank goodness for him though. I will never be without one again.

If your significant other ever gets in your crawl. Just strap that thing on your head as your walking into the store for a shopping trip with her. She’ll come around right quick. :smiley:

Search at Duluth trading company website, night owl dog collar. I have one for my dog.

Now, if someone can invent an additive for dog food to make the poo glow under UV light ….

The right-angle form factor is my all-around favorite.

Good advice! My first few GAW to friends was Convoy C8 with protected 18650. Then got more cautions and changed to Sofirn SF11 with the odd Tool AA or AAA depending on the age.

They are a small operation but their product is superb, now that they have added magnetic charging it’s pretty much perfect.

Hi,

Opinion from a low tech point of view.

When walking dog in the evening, there is nobody outside, so I let the dog roam free. It’s more difficult to see where the dog is. So a light attached on the collar is convenient. You can get a bike tail light on eBay for $1. I use these, set to slow blinking mode.

We may not always think about this. Dog eyes are very sensitive, be careful not to shine your flashlight directly to your dog eyes (your dog will look at you quite often). And we tend to direct the light beam to the dog when we look for him in the dark. ANY modern flashlight is too powerful, and you don’t need to look at the reflector to get convinced.

Not sure about your case, but I don’t walk the dog in total darkness. There is always streetlamps or moonlight. I wear light color or fluo jacket. When I need light, I got away with a flashlight running on 3x AAA which I got from a dollar store (I didn’t know about modern flashlights … a month ago). And even with that prehistoric light, I turn it off most of the time. It’s really low tech, but works quite well.

I had an energizer 6aa HD, and it died before I got through one set of batteries.

agree with LEDicrous above.
we use something similar for our 4 dogs.
each gets a different color attached to the “top”
of the collar along the dog’s spine.

There is just something about the title of this thread that I can’t help from thinking there is a joke in there somewhere. No offense OP.

I was serious as can be. Not sure what your thinking.