Recommendations for 5000+ lm, 600+ m throw, 45- mm head dia

Hi all, been away for a couple of years. My last light buy was the Astrolux EA01 (XHP50.2 version), with 3500 lm, 520 m throw, 41 mm head dia. Love the light, but now I’m looking for something that’s a step up in output and throw, without being much larger in diameter.

Also, I love the TIR beam of the EA01, and hoping for something similar. i.e. don’t want just a super bright central spot and have to paint the spot around, and also don’t want a 20,000 lm flood monster that lights up everything to the sides and closes down your pupils.

Any recommendations you can share with me?

Maybe a D1K with a SFN60?

That looks promising, thanks!

1 Thank

If you want a pocket throw monster with bonus lumens, I think SBT90 is the way to go. SFN60 can work, but it generates a lot more heat than SBT90, and sacrifices a lot of throw, but you get a lot more lumens.

Noctigon DM11 with SBT90 will give you about 5000 lumens, 700m throw, in a package about the same exact size of EA01, with TIR optics, with AUX LEDs, Anduril 2, tons of options, etc. Only downside compared to EA01 is no integrated charging, so need to keep a single bay charger or extra batteries with you if on the go…

There is also the Manker MC13 II SBT90. It’s mainly an 18650 light, but they sell an optional 21700 tube. Comes with a reflector by default, but you can use the TIR that comes with the DM11 in the light if you are willing to remove the reflector… I have done that mod, and it’s essentially the same beam as the DM11 with SBT90 at that point, but a smaller light with USB charging. The TIR from the EA01 might fit in there, but it’s slightly different sized than the DM11 one… And of course have to be willing to void your warranty and risk breaking the light to do that.

Throwy TIR options like Emisar D4(K/Sv2/etc.) with quad W2 will also give a lot of lumens and throw comparable to a single SBT90 and can be cheaper.

There is also Firefly E07x, E12R, and E12C in the Osram W1 config which give a bunch of throw, lumens, Anduril 2 buck driver, AUX, and importantly USB-C charging… But Firefly can be frustrating to buy from due to poor communication and shipping times. If you can actually manage to get them. But when you do get them, they are arguably some of the nicest overall lights around.

If you are willing to sacrifice on throw, and want better tint or high CRI, then multi-519A in the above lights is a nice setup too.

1 Thank

Seconding an SBT90 light, maybe an Emisar D1K or DM11. With a P45B it’ll be very bright and very intense, even if slightly under the 5000lm request it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Another option would be a D4Sv2 with SFT40, it’s around 90kcd of intensity and over 6000lm. Best setup for it would be the 26800 tube and spacers for a Molicel P45B cell (adapter available from convoy)

it needs a custom mcpcb but jlhawaii808, artie59 and a few other people (me included) can put one together.

I built a quad SFT40 3000k with one of the 5050 D4SV2 MCPCBs from JLHawaii808 and will vouch for the fact that it is probably the nicest balance of everything in a light I have ever owned. Flood, throw, CRI, tint, etc… Definitely a grail config. But that may be a bit advanced… :slight_smile: JLHawai808 does at least make it easy to order the build direct from him.

I haven’t tried the other SFT40 CCTs in that config, but have tried Yinding 6500k 95 CRIs (5050) and those are also a good custom build.

1 Thank

I got a run of the 5050 D4Sv2 pcbs manufactured, so I’ve put together a few of the 5050 D4Sv2s for myself and for others.

So far, the best balance probably is SFT40, though mine is in 5000k. It’s too power hungry to use on 26650 though, loses a lot of intensity compared to 21700.

If the XHP50.3HI 3v was available in neutral white it would be up there as well, its a lot brighter but a decent bit floodier too. It’s even more power hungry than SFT40 but the turbo peak is at 14k lumens and drops to 8k once the cell voltage sags. It’s just not as intense, only around 50kcd (similar to an SFN60 D1K)

I built one myself using the W5050SQ3 (convoy round die) in tint mix, theyre R70 and the result is 4000k.
Very nice as a pure thrower, it’s not particularly bright but has good tint and doesn’t have much backscatter. Not too power hungry either, so I run it on 26650 (and still get 90kcd)

I third an SBT90 light.
The main problem will be heat.
If the head is only 45mm in diameter, the light will overheat quickly.
Also, output will drop quickly, but that’s the nature of an SBT90 light.
They’re just not very practical (if you care about long sustained runtimes.) :+1:

[I was going to ask a question here, but I decided to create a separate thread.] :grin:

Thanks for all the recommendations and comments, much appreciated!

I ordered a budget quad SFT40 1x21700 flashlight, partly because of this (peteybaby’s) thread.
I don’t know how the light I ordered stacks up to an SBT90 light, but I think I’ll be happy with what I ordered. :+1:

Here’s the thread where I figured out what to order…
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/which-quad-sft40-1x21700-flashlights-that-are-easy-to-order-are-the-best-bang-for-your-buck/222369