Recommendations for a AA Bike flashlight? ideas? suggestions?

I would use minimum of two lights per bike, both for safety and failsafe backup just in case. Based on your requirement and budget for two bikes, 4 AA zoomies lights around euro30, I cannot think of anything else other than 3-mode Sipiks.

Here's my recommendation: Sipik SK68 UF clone. BIC has always shipped within 2days for me hence the recommendation. This model is supposed to be 3-mode based on the reviews (quite a lot mentioned such), but not advertised as one. Then again, it's always hit-or-miss with the budget vendors.

4pcs = $32, and if you're buying for the first time, you can use any introducer name to get 5% off. $30 also qualifies for free registered shipping.

This one is declared as 3 mode and you can make offer or bid for lower price. I’ve made to get it for less than $6, unfortunately I’ll have to wait at least two weeks to arrive. But the seller is good, so there is low risk not to get 3 modes. Hope it helps….

When so many people in BLF agree on a model, i can’t do nothing but… agree too. I’m glad I asked here, if not. i’d had picked a bigger model, more expensive and not so balanced. Yep, the winner is the Sipik… If they don’t work as expected i can always use them as a present 8)
I ordered 4 @ http://www.ebay.de/itm/200764570895?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2898wt_948 because at 7 bucks each i save 4 (my next post on the forum will be about suggestions for a 3.99 dollars flashlight) because Ledoman’s linked seller doesn’t ship to Germany :~ . BIC seems ok, but i think shipments are faster when done trough Ebay (plus having both ebay’s and paypal protection).

You all have been veeeeery kind and helpful. I hope i can return the favour.

Greetings!

I also think a solar charger would make sense

At the end of July you’ll still have 18h between sunrise and sunset

Jul 31, 2012 4:33 AM 10:33 PM 18h 00m 48s

And if the charger has an integrated (Li) battery you can still hope to sometimes charge that up with the help of some friendly car or motorcycle owner
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?\_\_mk_de_DE=�M�Z��&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=solar+ladeger�t&x=0&y=0

Also, with that much daylight you might not need much (flash)light for most of the day,
maybe one blinky so you don’t get run over if one of these guys is out for a Sunday drive…

-S

So, do you think that with the ultra-annoying Sipik clone strobe mode i can stop the one at 0:20 on the video? that’s reaaaaally cool.

I had this: http://www.tomtop.com/mp3-media-player/batteries-chargers/solar-charger/outdoor-usb-solar-panel-battery-charger-for-mobile-phones-mp3-mp4.html in mind, but the one in dx (800 mah) went out of stock right away. and not having real reviews kind of sucks.

I didn’t even think of this ebay seller doesn’t ship to Germany. Well, the one you mention doesn’t ship to Slovenia :frowning:

Having that kind of solar panel (and if really works) you could easily charge 18650 cells with something like XTAR MP1 - see XTAR MP1 USB 14650/17670/18650/18700 Li-ion Battery Charger with two XTAR 18700 2600mAh Batteries are on Promotion now!!!!. This would open a whole new world of flashlihgts to you :wink:

Ledoman! stop! don’t be mean! not now that i bought the sipiks. Do you think i could really charge a bunch of 18650’s? I don’t know, it seems a lot to me…. as they always overrate their products, i’d end up trying to load the li-ions with 150 mah, and freezing my @#$ in total darkness

Ok, Ok you asked for sugestions, ideas, ….didn’t you. I’ll keep shut.
Just one more thing, try out everything at home.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yep! that’s very important! though i’m not sure i can ride 10 hours at home. Apartments here are not as big as in Slovenia :wink: (i’m planning on installing the tent here in the living room, but it’s a secret i can’t tell my gf yet)

I haven’t read the whole thread but I must write here that the Sipik is NOT waterproof and Iceland is very foggy. That might kill the light very fast. I mean, I love my Sipik but I wouldn’t recommend it for iceland.
Best thing I can recommend in your situation is maybe a used Fenix or Quark that takes AA. Good luck needed since your budget is low. I say stick with Fenix since you won’t find a Quark for that cheap…

[quote=Anzycpethian…the Sipik is NOT waterproof and Iceland is very foggy. That might kill the light very fast….[/quote]

so you think even using grease wouldn’t be enough? :cry:

Flacomuchacho, I think you where to quick buying those lights.Good advise here to have different AA lights if you get problems. We are never sure what Sipik we get so we are always looking for good batches.I buy one at a time to maybe strike gold.Part of the fun,I think. Some on the board have had problems with switches.Figure how to bypass it if any trouble?

Also,can not see how you can keep any flashlight dry inside, changing batteries in the rain?

Lennart

Ten(?) times more power than this standard bike light is enough? :wink:

Hey, Lennart! how are you?

I thought about those things too. The problem is, as usual, time. I must fly back to Spain in the next weeks, do a lot of stuff over there, and then back (hopefully) to Germany. Then, setting everything for Iceland in a matter of a couple weeks. Logistics are kinda complex, specially if my gf is coming too. Getting products from China takes anything from 2 weeks to 4 months, you never know. But, as stated above, my timespan is much more reduced, about a month, so some steps must be done the fast way. Of course, i could get the flashlights here in Europe, but you know what it means. And it’s not only the fl’s, it’s a lot of stuff (so spending a lot of money=trying to save somewhere). One of the things i liked about the sipik clones is that it seems to be a pretty consistent light. Differences exist, but not too many lemons. Getting 4 of the same model means i could cannibalize (not in Florida’s way) one to get parts for the other. I’m used to change parts/batteries under the rain, so it’s not my main worry. Keeping them dry could be easy with the plastic ziplock bags i always take and some duct tape. But i write down your suggestion about the bypassing switches (maybe some copper wire in the tool box). I hadn’t thought about it. As always, good thing come to those who read BLF.

BTW, did you know (of course not) that going to Iceland came to my mind because i planned crossing Sweden on foot? 8)

@Flaco:

There is no way to keep it dry because of the zoom mechanism, it doesn’t allow the light to be sealed enough. YOU COULD DRENCH IT WITH VASELINE, that’s the only thing I can think of that that COULD work against fog but to be honest, I doubt it will save you from trouble. You want something without zoom at least.

Probably that light costs way more than my full sipiks batch!!!

If you want to order multiple lights Sipiks that could be a solution but I still say you should stay away from this light for your purpose and invest in any other 1AA or 2AA light.

I already bought them… :cry: :cry: :cry:
I’ll try to do the bag+tape thingy and test it in the shower (I’ll check with the admin if i can post those pics, hehe).

BTW, how was the Yosemite camping? I’m sure you loved it

…or….

How about setting the zoom where you want it, then sealing the whole torch with heatshrink tubing?? Obviously it would no longer be a zoomie, but it’s an idea if moisture does turn out to be a problem.

My sipik clone periodically gets wet and sometimes submerged in coolant etc, but I can’t kill it!

Iceland is right up at the arctic circle and you go there in the summer?
Not much darkness then.Some tourists find it hard to sleep in the midnight sun :wink:

Lennart