Recommendations for a AAA angle head flashlight

I’m trying to find a new clip on angle head flashlight. Thanks to you guys, I’ve got a nice AA version, that I use every day. I love the light, but the weight won’t let it hang from a t-shirt pocket properly. So I’m thinking that maybe something smaller, and lighter would be better.
The one I use now, is a skillhunt, from their H15 headlamp. A miniature version of this light would be great. But I prefer a non-painted finish, like brass, or stainless, and must have a pocket clip available. It has to also have different modes, moonlight being the most important, and the rest being gravy. Being a AAA, I’m sure that whatever they’re calling low will be okay. Same applies to high as well, since I mainly use only the moonlight mode.
I’m leaning towards the one from maratak, since they seem to have good quality. But the price, while not extremely expensive, does seem a little high for a AAA. And maybe there’s something else out there, that would work better for me. Not that I expect it to be cheaper, and that’s okay too, as long as it’s quality, since this light will need to be reliable. Since you guys see and test all of the lights out there, I thought I’d ask for your thoughts on this.

Hmm idk if I can help you but at least it is at the first page again :wink:

I just ordered a light of EBay for around $11
It accepts 26650 cell and the head twists to an angle
Check the ChibliM topic. If I can I’ll edit it in
Yes here it is:

If a 26650 fits so will 3 AAA in a cheap $1 holder that puts them in series

That’s a wild concept, having it swivel to a ninety. If it has the ability to hold any angle along the way, coupled with a magnetic tail, that could be useful. Unfortunately it won’t help me find my way through a cluttered trail each morning, hands free, without giving out any significant light signature. I need something extremely light, small, and dependable. Thanks for the input!

Someone might make one of these with modes.

https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=403

Have not seem one yet , but really haven’t looked.

The only other aaa angle head I’m aware of that is currently available is the Fenix HL10. It’s a nice little light but you’ll have to find an after market clip for it as it doesn’t come with one.

I have both the Maratac TPF (Tactical Personal Flood) and Fenix HL10 2016. Both are 1xAAA powered.

I did a comparison here: Maratac AAA TPF (Tactical Personal Flood) on Massdrop vs Fenix HL10 2016

I’m finding that the TPF seems to be optimized more for primary batteries, but I don’t have any eneloops to test in it. I like both, but if the Fenix had a pocket clip, I think I’d be more inclined to carry it more often.

I know that you said AAA, but have you taken a look at the Nitecore T360, USB rechargeable headlamp? The Thumb also looks pretty interesting.

Exactly what is the issue you have with shirt-pocket usage? Lateral aiming can be helped by clipping it over a credit-card or something similar in the pocket while vertical aim isn’t as easy to address. Most if not all of the ‘twist-to-90’ lights work at all angles and that might help. And a head-mounted light always puts the light right in front of you so that might be a useful alternative as well.

Phil

I saw that one as well, and the sliding diffuser was described as “gimmicky” by the one reviewer that I read. And as it happens, he actually compared the two lights. Being a member here, some might be familiar with this review. And I tend to agree with his assessment of the sliding diffuser. So given the two choices, I’m not certain which way to go. I haven’t checked the price of the Fenix, but the headband would make it more useful. Also the maratak starts on medium, which I don’t care for. Looks like I’ll keep searching and waiting till something more suited to my needs arises. Unless a group buy, or other special price presents itself. Thanks for the input guys!

The nice thing about the clip on the Maratac is it allows me to clip the light to the placket of my shirt, parallel to the ground with just the head sticking out of my shirt. This way, I can rotate it to adjust the vertical point of aim. The pain about the Fenix is, if I add a clip to it, it will no longer fit in the supplied mounting bracket.

IMO, the Maratac is over priced. Also, I have a Klarus AR10 and a couple of Thrunite TN20’s, all adjustable angle lights. Aside from the weight issues, one problem I have using it as a headlamp is that the head of the lamp tends to want to rotate the light downward, due to gravity.

I think this niche is ripe for someone to fill. BTW, the diffuser on the HL-10 does sort of work, but not significantly. I would have preferred that they left it off. Just MHO.

Glued a disc magnet to the base and heatshrunk a bar magnet to the clip. Makes it even more versatile.

Thanks for responding Phil. The issue I have is that my heavy, but otherwise perfectly good clip on angle head flashlight tends to lean and sway. Typically hard left or right. It’s pitch black outside at four a.m. My hands are full, carrying the necessary stuff, like lunch box, kitchen trash, beverage, etc. The whole house is asleep, so it’s a stealth thing. As I maneuver my way through, and around gopher holes, yard debris, and general detritus lol. Making my way quietly to the barn, up the steps. It’s so dark that I literally have to feel for the car, and I know exactly where it’s parked! Security lights, or any source of permanent ambient light isn’t possible for several reasons. Nothing wrong with a headlamp, but upon my commute, I also use this thing instead of a dome light, which I hate. Don’t really want to deal with the strap of a headlamp. My hope is that I can replace the current light with something smaller and lighter that would stick where I put it on my shirt. Although I’m really liking that card suggestion. Might just keep me from keeping one hand on my light. I know most guys would just put the porch light on a timer, and tell the waking household to suck it up. But I prefer a simpler solution. And a plastic card just might do it. Thanks again!

Big size difference from mine, but exactly what I’m talking about. If it were fifteen bucks, I’d be there already.

Although the Fenix HL-10 lacks a clip, it does do a reasonable job as a neck-light, if you don’t mind wearing it that way, and as a headlamp, I like it better than the Maratac. If I had to do it again, I’d probably pass on the Maratac.

Oh, I had a Hugsby XP-1 lying around. Pulled the clip off of it and got it onto the HL-10. The clip’s too long so it prevents the light from tail standing, but TBH, that’s not really a big deal, since the light can lie on it’s side and light sideways. So far, I haven’t nicked the HAIII ano, but it’s probably just a matter of time. Not that I really mind.