Red Led(Cree XP-E2) Over 1A Drivers Kaboom??

Good Saturday fellow hermits! I have a dilemma. Many moons ago I ordered my first red led. The max drive current is 1A from Kaidomain site below. I only have drivers now that go to 2800 mA. It will be many more moons before my 1A driver arrives. Anywho, Is it okay to use the 2800mA driver with the led rated for 1A? Will the driver adjust the current draw? Is the led gonna make it out alive??

If its price is cheap you can try

They’ll be ok. But lots of heat will force you to limit amperage.

2.8A likely is too much, but the peak output is at around 2.5A, no data on long term degradation. You can try to desolder some 7135s, leave only 1.4A or 1.75A to be in the safe side. I’m sure you can find a guide on removing 7135s somewhere in the forum.

I’m pushing into it 4,2A in pulsating mode. Working fine for 2 years, S2+ gets very little warm.

From Mtn. Electronics website….

. Great for situations where night vision may be overly affected by white light. This is the newer generation XP-E2 on an MTN direct thermal path copper MCPCB.

CREE XP-E2 Red (wavelength range: 620-630nm, average 625nm)

Estimated Output @ 350mA: 77 lumens
Estimated Output @ 1000mA: 196 lumens
Maximum Recommended Drive Current: 2.3A, testing has shown this is the optimum maximum current when on a DTP Copper MCPCB.

Great for situations where night vision may be overly affected by white light. This is the newer generation XP-E2 on a MTN direct thermal path copper MCPCB.

For what it’s worth….

I run mine at around 2.2amps the most I have seen in testing (2.28 amps 6 x .380 7135’s GuppyDrv.1) and in 4 years of use on a AR10 .308… zero issues

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try out the 2A or so drivers out. Red leds usually have smaller Vf so I was wondering about the driver output. Oh I just remembered that I actually have a 6*7135 driver from Kaidomain coming. It's rated for 2100 mA so it'll be perfect!

Plus it's got 3 modes to use for different situations instead of just On lol.

Hank33, your FX-12 picture above says ‘3 x AMC7135’ which would only be just over 1 amp if that’s the driver you ordered. (Of course, if you ordered the 6 x AMC7135 version then you’re fine :slight_smile: )
Alternatively, if your 2.8A drivers are 7135 based, and you have the skills, you could remove two of the 7135s to give you the current you want.

I actually ordered the 6*7135 because all my other drivers are 8*7135. :smiley: Because I thought, hey you can just reduce and order the right count 7135 chips at least for IR leds and it’ll be all good.
I’m gonna give the 7135 removal a try when my good solder iron gets here. :slight_smile:

keep in mind the lower vf of the red will cause more power to be dissipated in the driver.
7135=linear regulator.
think programmable resistor.

I add resistor mod to my my TOD (Things To Do). Don’t have any smd type resistor atm. I’m gonna try different combos in an S2+ host tonight and see how it goes. Then transfer all to 14500 host and see what gives. :slight_smile: