Regarding rudeness and posts by new users

Like seeing an accident in slow motion, that’s a good analogy :smile:

Manners are a two way street .If you treat someone like sh?it, expect to be treated like shi?t.

2 Thanks

Could also be a hacked account, in conjunction with AI based text. (Was my first thought as you wrote this user took part of many group buys.)
No one knows for sure, but - if AI was a thing here - any text written by AI or written with help of AI shouldn’t be allowed in any part of this (and tbh, other) forums. I don’t want to read soulless robotic text and I also don’t want to communicate with any type of robotic thing, but only with a real person.

Hmm, no, the user’s account was registered less than 10 days ago. I think @1stein means that the user in question formerly participated here under a different username. (Please PM me the name if you remember it.) But given the user’s angry responses to the challengers, it appears that their posts were human-generated all along.

1 Thank

For this I have a question to experts in AI based language generators: is it possible to train an AI or to say to AI that some ‘angry-rant text’ based on the previous context should be generated?
Is it also possible to tell an AI that some ‘grammar mistakes’ should be included in the text output on purpose?

I am pretty sure that both is possible nowadays.

I don’t remember this user. However, I would be interested to know if this previous user had ever been noticed negatively in any discussions or had a similar writing style to the last one?

Another point that makes me wonder (if AI was used): why using ChatGPT and other AI tools at all? There is, for example, DeepL, where you type in whole sentences and then grammatically correct text comes out (most of the time :smiley: ). If I have difficulties with the language, I would rather use something like that than ask AI to generate a text. In my tests and posts I sometimes use DeepL, mostly in situations where I have to focus on my wording due to my many thoughts I have in writing a text :smiley:

This was user’s self-declaration. I enquired if he/she can tell us which was it.

This is something really odd. I’ve pasted some parts of this weird text into Google search engine and it led me to flashlights review pages of similarly weird text. I’m no IT guy so didn’t draw any conclusions except for that it’s really odd. Like puzzled fragments of reviews and BLF introducing stories for beginners.

Thanks for the recap. :+1:
It sounds like I missed most of the drama.
I must have slept through it. :zzz:

Yeah, maybe. But the bad words were overwhelmingly embarrassing so if it would be possible I’d rather ‘de-read’ them.
I think you’re lucky you haven’t read them. At least in my opinion you have nothing to regret.

1 Thank

By the way, I need to come clean.
Most of my posts are written with help from ChatWTF.
It uses A.S. (Artificial Stupidity) to easily write really stupid posts.
This technology is provided to me courtesy of Umbrella Corporation, a leading company in the field of A.S. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Thanks

Now it is clear: that’s what all these random BLF women are coming from :rofl:

Joke aside, I think this topic is good for now. If such encounters happens more frequently, it is maybe the time to get familiar with AI-written text and how to detect them.

1 Thank

OK. Good. Accompany that with more use of the flagging button in a questionable situation. Resisting the urge to state something in an unfriendly way or in bad taste reflects on the BLF membership in a more positive manner. Is it not better to say nothing, but let sb56637 know there is a potential issue?

Sounds like a pretty good Turing Test.

“Challenge” the user, and if it gets all pist off, it’s hyu-mon.

I suspect(ed) that it was someone who wanted to scam private sellers, and they were thus padding out their post history with random nonsense to lend credibility (or so they thought) to their account.

Anyway I will be nicer next time :+1:

I read an article a few months ago on the accuracy of software used to detect AI like ChatGPT.

Apparently, the detection software isn’t very accurate at all. The problem is that the AI chatbots like ChatGPT are designed to write like an “exactly average writer”.

Very few people write like an exactly average writer. So most of the time you can tell what looks like AI written and what isn’t. However, there is still a small portion of the population that DOES write like an exactly average writer. Detection programs were giving “false positives” and saying their writings were written by a bot even though they weren’t.

Moral of the story: Just because you think text is written by a chatbot, doesn’t mean it actually was.

My recollection of the progression of this incident:

1. Original Poster (“OP”), supposedly a returning BLF member, made a post that some users thought looked like it was written by a chatbot. She was asking for tips on repairing a broken flashlight, info on BLF made lights, etc.
  2. First several reply posts didn’t answer any of the returning BLF member’s questions or welcome the member back. Instead they just accused the first poster of being a chatbot and were quite hostile.
  3. Evidence presented very quickly that the OP was not a chatbot: She posted another thread explaining how she broke her Convoy S2+ and asked for suggestions on how to fix it. This was a very detailed post including photos and was completely plausible. No way it could have been written by a chatbot. Also, in the original thread another poster vouched for the OP, saying that OP had bought an Emisar light from him/her and the sale went through with no issues.
  4. OP then noticed the accusatory posts from earlier in the thread and went off the rails at the posters. She made a number of extremely accusatory and confrontational posts that were out of line.
  5. The BLF members who had made the initial accusatory posts then reacted angrily also out of line, including continuing to accuse the OP of being a chatbot. Confrontation escalated.
  6. It was about that time that OP was banned.

Frankly, I don’t think the progression of how this played out makes anyone look good.

4 Thanks

People here tend to react badly whenever a woman shows up. We should probably try to fix that, by being less suspicious and more welcoming. Girls like shiny things too.

AI isn’t going away. It has a lot of practical real-world uses, and it’s only going to get more and more common.

One of the things it’s best at is translating between languages, so it’s a fantastic tool for anyone who doesn’t speak the native language of the forum. It’s also very good at things like “Here’s a message I received. I’m too angry/tired/busy to reply, so please tell them <insert rude/lazy answer>, but without being rude.”

It’s also good at things like “read this discussion and summarize it”, or answering common FAQs, or doing reasonably simple tasks like “write me a program which does <simple task>” or “here’s some code… modify it in the following way”.

And they’re pretty fantastic at playing pretend. Like, writing a story together. It’s a lot of fun to just come up with some sort of wacky story idea, then bounce ideas back and forth with an AI to turn it into something more. Here are a couple examples I made last year using what is now a fairly old LLM. Newer ones have a longer short-term memory and are more coherent and creative.

Basically, LLMs (large language models) are good at language tasks. They’re also becoming pretty decent at using external tools, when given access to do so. Like, LLMs are terrible at math but can use a calculator. They can’t make images, but they can operate an image-generation tool. Etcetera.

Anyway, we’re going to see a lot of AI in common use… in both good and bad ways. Try not to throw the good out with the bad.

5 Thanks

I have not seen evidence of this. Can you give some examples and not the recent abomination of a post from a source that had every single BLF user confused.

This is a really serious statement you are making, if you cannot back it up with facts you should retract it.

That’s a tall order, since the most egregious examples have been removed, and posting archives of it defeats the point of it being removed. Sb is pretty good about cleaning up that sort of thing when it happens.

But as one example, and the one which inspired the thread we’re in, did you see Carla’s threads a few days ago? Or also very recently, one of BLF’s members lashed out at a girl here specifically because of her gender, and he got banned for it, so he went to seek her out on other sites to continue attacking her. I only know about it because she contacted me on a different platform to commiserate. Also, 7 days ago IIRC, a long-time member mentioned they’re a trans woman, and the thread quickly went downhill so it got removed. So… that’s at least three that I’m aware of, just within the past week or so.

I’ve long since lost count of how many times I’ve personally encountered problems of this nature here. I even had to file police reports once, and leave my home for a few weeks for my own safety. But that has all been removed too.

Even this, though mild, and the earlier comment about random BLF women, speak to a general suspicion and distrust of women. Not just on BLF, but on large portions of the internet. It’s kinda… just part of daily life as a woman. But we can, and should, do better.

Anyway, it happens a lot more than you’d expect if you haven’t personally been the target of such things on a regular basis for your whole life. Someone who hasn’t lived it may see it as a really serious accusation which needs solid evidence to back it up, but for those who have been there, it’s just Tuesday.

15 Thanks

:cry:

1 Thank

Yikes!
I didn’t realize the misogyny on BLF was nearly that bad. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

3 Thanks

Can’t say I’ve never had a problem, but as communities in general go, it’s one of the better ones in that regard overall, but incidents do still happen anywhere to some degree - definitely read ToyKeeper’s post on that; I have always felt that sb has dealt with problem users quickly the few times something has happened. Ultimately somewhere like Reddit has always been worse overall, but it’s to some degree internet-wide.

3 Thanks