Replace LED in Milwaukee flashlight, uses M18 18V nominal battery

Hi all, my first post here, but I have browsed quite a bit & found many useful posts to help with flashlight purchases!

I have a Milwaukee brand work light that uses their M18 line of 18V (nominal) Lithium batteries. It is a nice LED worklight, but output is quite low (160 lumens?). It has a nice reflector and metal head. I would like to replace the LED with maybe an XM-L2 module.

The batteries are 21V fully charged, and a low cutoff would be around 14V. I would like to have maybe 3 level output. I don’t need regulated light output, but it would be nice. I have seen lots of XM-L2 drivers on Ebay, but most don’t work up to 24V, or else have only 1 level output.

Anbody here have a good driver suggestion? I really don’t want to use resistors or linear regulators.

Thanks!!

Could post a picture of the light?

Done. Wew! what a learning curve, not as simple as most forums nowdays.

Ok, maybe no photos yet. When i did a preview, the photos worked. When i looked at the thread after submitting, photos worked. Now looking at the thread on my tablet, i dont see photos. What a broken system.

Ha, when I first read that I took it to mean that you finished your light. :person_facepalming:

Here is a thread on how to do it. Ignore the length of this thread, all you need to know is in the first post.
Unless you want to do fancy stuff with your pictures, it is easy and simple.

Here's an updated thread on how to post images on BLF:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/47268

Is it this one? worklight
I’m interested in doing something similar with Black & Decker 20v batteries and a Porter Cable worklight that I have already modified to fit the B&D batteries. Looking to get some extra use out of those expensive 20v / 4ah batteries. :wink: It comes down to taking the worklight apart to see what will fit, and getting a driver that will survive on 20v (5s) input. Looks like a good Winter project…

John-Galt, yes that is the one.
Thanks guys for the links on posting. I finally made an imgur account. The part that’s hard to understand is why Dropbox didn’t work. Or more exactly, why Dropbox worked while I was previewing, and then immediately after while viewing the forum on the same computer. And then wasn’t working later that night.

I have a Ryobi flashlight that also runs on the 18v batteries (21v fully charged)
I converted from incandescent to this MR-16 12v LED.
Some MR-16’s that are non dimmable have a built in driver that will allow them to run on 12-24v
If you have room, it is an easy way to go. I wouldn’t use an MR-16 over 400 lumen though because of the heat.

That MR-16 looks like an interesting option.
However, I have found this driver that claims:
Input voltage: DC 6.5-27V ( Recommended 6.5V … 16V. )

Output voltage: 2-14 V

Output current: 2400 mA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pieces-LED-driver-LD-PWM-2-4A-PWM-Current-2-4A-DC-5V-27V-Multi-Mode-XHP70/112585105882?hash=item1a369861da:g:IpQAAOSwA3dYF1Mf

This would fit nicely inside the Milwaukee handle. Then maybe I’d use an XHP50, probably the 6V version as the 2.4A driver would work nicely (XHP50 6V Max 3A, XHP%) 12V Max 1.5A)). And get multiple dimming options.

I can only find this with 5 piece quantity, maybe I would have extra if anybody interested???