Replica Civilian

My CC companies will supply me with a “one-time” use transaction number on request for no charge.

You give that number to the vendor and it is processed just like any other CC transaction on your card except that the real CC account number is concealed…obviously…

I would think most CC companies would follow suit. I don’t worry about CC cards, which is why I use them, but never use a debit card.

I noticed that one of my cards started charging me a buck or two for an international transaction.

It seems like a recent addition. I won’t use that card for the Chineeze stuff now.

buying a fake/counterfeit condones dishonesty.you trust them enough to buy fake goods why not trust them with your card number.

Buying a copy doesn’t have much to do with trust. It’s not Rolls-Royce or nothing.

That is a good point, honesty is the first virtue.

The Chinese have a different philosophy about what constitutes honesty than the West does.

They are rabid Capitalists…in that mostly they are trying to model Western behaviour!

If you are averse to being lied to constantly, better not watch Western TV, or any media that is owned by the half dozen people, Hollywood movies, or anything that comes out of the mouths of any Western politico…the Chinese are rank amateurs in that crowd.

If someone finds themselves using their Civilian for a second time, for it’s sole purpose, then they should move to a better neighborhood.

Just another thread extolling the virtues of counterfeit knives and stolen designs. Free advertisement for the thieves that make and market them.

The Chinese are coming out with some excellent replicas these days.

They are even using decent steel like 9Cr18MoV, single liners that are drilled for weight savings and are rounded/beveled.

9Cr18MoV lands in between 440C and VG10, but is closer to 440C which is still a good knife steel and better than the 440J2 used on most of these replica knives.

A good Civi replica will cost $35, but with its limited use, how often will you use it for its intended purpose?

99% of the fakes on alibaba have dual liners and 420J2 steel, despite advertising VG10 steel.

The dual liners are a dead giveaway that it’s a fake. It’s like wearing a Rolex replica with a Quartz movement.

I have found just one vendor selling replica Civi’s with a single liner and 9Cr18MoV steel.

I might buy one to see how it measures up to the real deal.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will probably use this knife once or twice in your lifetime for SD, so it might make sense to go with a replica.

But then again, the pivot pin might break when you deploy the blade or have some other malfunction occur, so is your life worth the $100 or so that you save by buying a replica?

As for some people (Not on this thread) saying this knife is useless because you can’t stab with it, please, get a clue.

And I’ll take a Serrated “slasher” over a pointy “stabber” any day for SD

In a SD situation, the idea is to extract yourself from the situation as quickly as possible and not to stab someone.

A good slash to an arm, face, chest, etc…, especially with a serrated edge will put an immediate end to any attack or at least stop it long enough for you to remove yourself from the situation.

You don’t want to stick around and use deadly force and get into a knife fight or kill someone, no matter how much they deserve it as the legal bills will cost you a fortune even when you are legally in the right.

BTW, I’m selling my Civi once the Cold Steel Black Talon II hits the market — same blade design, better handle/ergonomics, Thumb plate opener instead of a bird’s eye, Ambidextrous clip and CTS/XHP steel that is better than VG10 at around $110 from reputable aftermarket resellers. (Ignore the CS MSRP)

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/22BTS/Black_Talon_II_Serrated_Edged.aspx

What happens when the pot-metal pivot pin breaks when you deploy the blade in a critical situation?

You’re f**d, that’s what.

The “Pot-metal pivot pin” is speculation on my part, but I doubt they are using SS pivot pins.

Is your life worth $30 or $150?

My Civi is my everyday SD knife. I may buy a replica to take apart and compare build quality and materials, but wouldn’t trust my life to one.

Either way, once the Black Talon II hits the market, I’m selling my Civi and buying the BT II

Of all the things that I don’t want to fail me, it’s my last ditch weapon, and/or survival tool.

It’s like flashlights, I tell people to buy all the cheap ones they want for the house, but for the places and times where it is all important and you will only have one, you need quality.

It’s not a knife I’d use for SD for the same reason I wouldn’t use a genuine Civilian for SD. If I ever had to defend myself with a knife I’d much rather it be something like my Code 4 which is a relatively inoffensive folder compared to the Civilian which with its looks and history would cause the jury to be far less sympathetic to me. As for the idea the maker uses pot metal fittings? Really that’s a stretch. Stainless steel is cheap, especially in China.

The “Pot Metal” quote was said in jest to display that some of the building materials/build quality in China is not the best and I wouldn’t want to trust my life on a $30.00 knife anymore than I would a $100.00 Jennings pistol as opposed to a Beretta or a Glock.

As for using the Civi for SD, that’s exactly what is was designed for — Sypderco made these for Undercover DEA that could not bring a handgun to a UC operation and needed a sleek, concealable last ditch weapon to extract themselves from a life or death situation.

Personally, I’m a big fan of CS knives and own several. The Civi is the only non-CS knive I own.

For EDC, I prefer my 4” Vaquero. Sadly, CS no longer makes these.

For SD, I used to carry my Vaquero Grande in VG1

I still do at times, but during the Spring and Summer months, I carry the Civi because the Grande is so damn big.

The Civi is legal in most of California, including my County:

Since it’s legal, and was designed for LE to defend themselves, then a citizen (Or a civilian, no pun intended) could claim a Civil Rights violation under the Equal Protection Clause listed in the 14th Amendment if a DA or a Jury tried to nail them based on the looks of a legal knife intended for SD

Besides, the knife is legal in my County and I would only be in legal hot water if I used it in a non-SD situation.

Also you appear to be in NZ which has far more restrictive SD laws than the US, so your post doesn’t really apply to my situation or my location.

I’ve studied a bit about SD using a knife and overwhelmingly the “experts” say it’s better to have a serrated edge to slash with than to stab someone.

A slash is less likely to be lethal and you don’t have to get close to your attacker to slash but you do in order to stab.

I don’t want to debate this as I’ve researched knife SD extensively and the consensuses is it is best to use a serrated edge to slash and extract yourself from the situation ASAP

Either way, I’m going to get the CS Black Talon II when it hits the secondary market and sell my Civi.

I have all of the new Voyager models except for the half serrated clip and tanto versions since I’m not partial to 50/50 models. I do like my serrated vaqueros though.

I’m planning to get the serrated clip point Code 4 when it comes out. Probably the serrated clip point XHP Recon 1 (maybe the XL?) too. The Civilian/Black Talon have impressive slashing ability, but I like having a point to stab with.

And yes, New Zealand has some ridiculous laws about self defence that don’t apply for those living in the US. I sometimes joke that it’d be more convenient to just allow an attacker to kill you rather than go through the hassle that the law would put you through if you successfully defended yourself.