Repository of Dumb Ideas

So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about our wacky ideas. With no pretention, no snobbery, no rhyme nor reason. Just some whacky stuff you thought would work on flashlights but are just too “wonky.”

My first submission. An RLT would be great with an aspheric zoomie, though with the height of the RLT, it may not allow a full movement of the lens. Or, you want to use a lens with a short focal length. I present… The Fresnel RLT! About 1/3 to 1/4 the height of a comparable RLT! I have this notion that the lands between the spherical sections act to self-correct light rays that are not on center of the LED, as a ray from the farther side of center will hit the flats before being redirected to the spherical section, and rays closer than center would hit the spherical section, then the flats.

Uhhh, “RLT”?

Really Lame Thought , or dumb idea

Recycled light technology, as in the Wavien collar.

Even have a lame parabolic profiled Fresnrl reflector for a reflector light with an ultra short head. I call this stuff Super High Intensity Technology or S. H. I. T. for short….

:+1:

Ever tried surpressing the abundant lumen drift by using an Aspheric Ricocheting Subliminal Edge?
AFAIK these can easily be obtained in literally every size and color.

Similar yet different:

Another way to reduce the collar height issue:
Make a single sphere collar but cut into 2 pieces. The bottom piece would be just a regular collar with a very wide opening. The top piece would close up a part of the opening, so together they work as a single collar.
However they top part would be moved during zooming, nearly halving effective collar height.

Wouldn’t the flats creat a lot of artifacts in the beam ?

No, not at all.
Light will reflect off every edge, scattering there.
The opening edge - same as with a regular collar - will create a ring in the beam. Sharpness of the edge determines how big it will be.
Other reflections will just mean that light fails to hit the die and hits MCPCB instead. This will somewhat reduce collar efficiency - hopefully not much. The reflections won’t hit the lens and won’t show up in the beam though.
As to flats - they are off the light path and so they have no effect on the beam.

Haven’t seen that thread before, but it’s almost comforting to know I’m not the only one…

I would go further and extend the idea, with a parabolic-profiled Fresnel reflector, for an ultra-narrow recoil light…