Retro Style Flashlights Made MODEN STYLE

Hey guys, anyone interested in someone making retro style flashlights with today’s modern high capacity LEDs?

I am proposing a possible investment in such a project. Let me explain.

Making exterior flashlight body like ones made in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s with chrome body, buttons.

The interior components with today’s latest LED technology.

Making different style of lights : tactical, search and rescue, etc…. Different configurations: 26650, 18650, D, C, AA, AAA for power outsource.

Any input?

I like the idea, it was one of the reasons I made the Super Courui DO1, it looks very Nostalgic, no fancy fins, bare aluminum polished a bit.

E-switch and Push button both work to cycle the mode levels with the old LD-2 Linear driver from Neven Led4Power, it’s a sweet feature for sure.

I really dig the old leather wrapped battery tube metal lights of old….

I would love to see something like that, i have an old aluminum light that would be a really cool host

Can’t find a picture of it now but a South African store here called Cape Union Mart was recently selling a retro style boy scout light, looked exactly like the old chrome 2D cell lights with the slide on/off switch and momentary red push button.

Like this?

That thing brings back some memories.

More like this, still can’t find the one I’m talking about, it came in retro packaging as well.

There’s been a few retro models out with modern LED’s.

Here’s two I currently have:

Eddie Bauer Classic Flashlight w/LED:
. . . .

Ray-O-Vac Classic Flashlight w/LED:

But of course these aren’t high output like we would build!

Here’s some interesting threads on retro builds from a few years back:

I have a whole box full of vintage flashlights, was thinking of doing a modern upgrade on one someday. Mine are mostly the large 6v type like these:

Resource for vintage flashlights:
http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/flashlights.cfm

Hey guys, What is I mean current manufacturers making Retro Styled Lights. Examples below

BLF GT Giggles

Nitecore Tiny Monster TM28

Acebeam X45, 60, 75

Klarus XT20

Fenix TK75

etc,

Real Deals like these. Any real cool high lumen output plus throw in a ” Nostalgia ” Retro Style Flashlight.

It’s an interesting proposal, due to my lack of that kind of capital I’m not an investor, but I’ll offer some of my thoughts and opinions on the idea:

From a business point of view I think you first would need to identify your customer base, who will your customers be?

Likening with these designs internally (Acebeam, Nitecore, Klarus etc.) means your target customer would be flashaholics. You mentioned “tactical, search and rescue” styles, so you would target LE / search & rescue personnel? That may be a tough sell, I would see them more wanting pure “function” with modern “Tactical” looking styles, rather than “fashion” of the vintage styles.

So maybe just Flashaholics? Can your customers be the regular joe homeowner etc? Yes maybe so, but using the higher end flashlight internals, since the lights will be expensive, you will need customers with “expendable” incomes who will also buy into the “nostalgia” look, which would be a very limited “niche” customer base in comparison to selling regular styled flashlights. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or anything, just what to consider. There are surely several companies making expensive, high end, custom machined, hand assembled flashlights that sell.

To start up a flashlight company making this many styles and configurations, all with vintage nostalgic styling instead of the usual bodies would require a seriously huge investment, that would impose serious risk. My recommendation would be to start with one or two models and test the market.
Maybe do a poll on BLF just for fun to see how many like the idea.

Are you located in the USA?

After drawing up / drafting the designs you would need to decide:

1. How will the bodies be made?

Contract a machine shop locally to make them? (very expensive per body, but less quantity purchase required)
or
Have the bodies made off shore in China? (less cost per body but large investment because of required minimum quantities)

2. Chrome plating? Those vintage flashlights were mostly made of tin, but you would need aluminum then a plating process added to resemble the bright chrome.

3. Who will make the internal parts and who will assemble the lights? (Choices are similar to above)

4. Who will make the packaging, labels, manuals etc.? And who will package the products? Brand etching, logos?

5. What sales channels to set up? (Amazon) (Ebay) (Website)

6. How will you market the product? What advertising? Promotions? (Social media, blogs, forums etc)

7. Who will do the actual shipping? (need shipping cartons, bubble wrap, labels, etc) * Avoid all this with Amazon FBA * (just send them the products)

8. Customer Support. Plus all of the business aspects such as bookeeping, banking, taxes, etc. etc.

And I’m sure there’s plenty more to consider.

Also these are just my (one persons) non professional opinions. Ignore anything you don’t agree with and by all means pursue your dreams regardless of what myself or anyone else says. Motivation, enthusiasm, persistence and pure passion for your idea and product is what will make you successful above anything else. Surround yourself with others who share your vision and just go for it.

Decent perspective. My goal is ” limited editions ” meaning low productions for collectible reasons. Diehard collectors will pay knowing not to many people own these great renditions of collectible lights.

Just noticed the Texas Lumens C8 Eclipse has a real vintage / retro vibe…

http://www.texaslumens.com/store.html

Maybe contact him about doing something, he machines the bodies and he’s a long time member here. TEXAS LUMENS Website and Store

Yeah, I know about these guys. The lights look OK. Designs are original. If he can replicate similar type of cool ones then I will buy from him. The C8 does look nice.

Kind of reminded me of one like this:

Have a Brass hammered 1930 Winchester and a few others I’ve thought about converting, all but the hammered Winchester that is, the only other Winchester known to exist besides mine is in the Flashlight Museum or so I was told so I need to leave it as is.

I have a Have a Brass hammered 1930 Winchester (?) or at least I have the same flashlight. It was donated to my local thrift shop and I am trying to determine its value. Any idea? Mine says SCOUT in the center of the cap and Sold only at Rexall Stores.