Review: Balder SE-1 (yet another one, but pics and outdoor beamshots heavy)

It's 17mm in diameter and has 29mm of lenght.

The XML version is out for $23 including shipping.

Great review & sweet looking light. I'd like to pull the trigger on 2 of them (one XP-E & one XM-L), but I see on cnqualitygoods.com site that the pics show a cheaper looking chrome clip for both models. I'm hoping they actually have the black clip, as in your review and the cnqualitygood's pics are "outdated". Any way to verify?

Sidenote: Newly registered & my 1st BLF post. Nice looking forum here.

Welcome crosshairs!

Thanks sweefu!

Update on clip color question: I just got word back from RIC at CNQualitygoods. He stated "The current batch is still black color clip. Will change into bright clip next batch." Thanks, RIC

Welcome crosshairs!

I've just ordered one of the XM-L versions and it got shipped today. Hopefully HK Post won't run out of aircraft like they did this time last year.

Thanks also, Don!

Well, last nite this luminescent greenhorn (me) just placed his very 1st order for his first assortment of about 6 new EDC types (mostly), including 2 Balder SE-1 XM-L version and 1 XP-E version. All ordered thru CNQualitygoods. (Others included a TANK007 E07 Osram 1-AA, a Tank007 HC-128 CREE Q5 1x18650, and a Romisen RC-29 CREE Q5 1-AA). I bit the bullet & paid extra for EMS shipping due to quick needs for upcoming trip.

I can see already that I was like a kid in a candy store, and soon my collection will grow in proportion to my nearly non-existent funds depleting!

very impressive first order.

In a light this size and form factor (1xaa) I think the XP-E is a great choice to make it a great pocket thrower with the small emitter. I've already got 2 Pocket walls of light (2 Xm-L's driven at over 2A). This is a very interesting light. Thanks for the review.

Seeing the specs and runtime I'm guessing that it's drawing around 350mA on high (120lm on high)

Actually, it's quite the opposite. Check out old's review: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4531

It pulls 1.8A on 14500 and over 2A on AA. That's why it's speculated that XM-L would actually be more appropriate, assuming the driver remains the same.

That seems odd considering the output... you'd think that at 1.6-1.8 on the XP-E it'd be brighter... and isn't the limit of the XP-E 1A?

why is this non-sequitur posted in multiple threads?

Balder SE-1 now also on Dinodirect!!

I bought from US seller at $23 shipped.

DD seems to be the most expensive. I would stick with Intl-outdoor and CNQG for the SE-1 since they're lower in price and more reliable, imo.

I just received my Balder SE-1. My opinion is different than what this thread originator coolperl states.

I wanted a smallish style AA battery powered flashlight with a clip to use so that during a trip, I could always pick up a fresh battery anywhere I was. However, with a new AA battery, the SE-1 produces a pale, pinkish/beige tinged light. There is no brilliance to the output at all. The throw, what there is of it, is marginally useful. It is only good for illuminating at very immediate distances. After looking at coolperl’s battery regulation chart (head of this thread), output will quickly be all downhill. Marginal output will noticeably weaken further.

I agree with coolperl’s assessment of the build quality. It is very good. But the bottom line for a flashlight is output. And this SE-1 when equipped with an AA battery is a disappointment. I will not be purchasing any more AA powered flashlights. I can only imagine how poor any AAA flashlight would be.

The best I can say about this little Balder SE-1 is that it would make a nice light to read a map by or use when checking a dark fuse box or searching under the seat of your car for your lost cell phone (!). The light is pale and there is no glare, brilliance or light bounce. The SE-1 has a handsome appearance with good attention to detail.

I would also add that the delivery service from EDCplus was super fast (two days). That was a nice surprise compared to the weeks it takes to receive items from China based sources.

BTW…. At the same time, I purchased the Balder SE-2 which uses the 18650 battery. This torch is good for the money and produces a bright beam. It does not equal the brilliance or design of the superb TK21 but one must consider it cost over 50% less. A big drawback with the SE-2 is that it lacks mode memory. You must click, click, click, click to get what you want. It never turns on using the same power level. The SE-2 produces a light beam with a beige tinge to it and is completely controlled by a tail switch (which is actually an inconvenience and it has no memory). I prefer the XM-L U2 of the TK21 to the XM-L T6 of the Balder.

Whenever i can, i return new flashlights for a full refund if i am not pleased by whichever aspect of the product, e.g. its beam profile, tint, or or. Distance selling regulations protect the buyer from disappointments or financial loss ("right of revocation and right of return in distance contracts"). In our county. Gemany.

If you decide to keep it, and don’t want to use 14500 cells, you could buy the $5 extension tube to convert it into a 2xAA light. The extra voltage should make it a bit brighter.

Woody: Thanks so much for that info. I was unaware of the extension tube. Much appreciated.

No problem. You can get them from Intl Outdoors, here or the Lighthound one should fit (not certain). EDC+ in the US have them for $4.