Review: BALDER SE-2 (XM-L T6 / 1x18650)

Wonderful review and professional looking layout tells me that a lot of time and effort went into this. Thank you for that.
This revies is the first that makes me want to own a Balcder flashlight so I guess that the effort is not wated at all. And no worries about your english. It seems fine to a danish guy :wink:

TY UPz

Thanks for the reviews & pics. Is this version 1 or 2?

Wonderful review, thx UPz. I think it is version 2, which has the same UI as BD-2. I myself have a version 1, which low lumen just 2lumen and i’d love it

another light with momentary activation that changes modes as you do momentary activation LOL

I just thought the same thing. With a better UI I could imagine buying this.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed review!

Thank you all for your kind words.

@my9221:
Yes, it’s version 2 of the SE-2. In fact, at forolinternas we had discovered that it comes with the same driver of the BD-2.

Thanks so much for the review! Well done. Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

very nice! thanks

Anyone have this and the Ultrafire UF-T50? Curious how they compare, seem to be similar in size and output but I bet the Balder is better built.

If I understand correctly:

- the main set of modes has 3 modes (H, M, L) with no memory

• the hidden set of modes has 6 modes (H, M, L, Strobe, Alarm Strobe, SOS) with memory

CNQG currently sells 2 versions of this light, and you have to choose whether you want 3-mode or 6-mode. They mention nothing about either having a “hidden set” of modes.

Are either of these the one in this review? Or is CNQG selling updated (again) versions?

This is my first post on BLF, so I say Hello!
I’ve bought SE-2 after reading this review. Compared it with other (modded) lights available in my country in the same price range, and I have to say that build quality and light output is very good.
It was bought on 09.2012 from CNQG. However I can’t access the hidden modes:( how can I find out if it’s the old or the new, better regulated one?
Tried both ways:

1. switch to Low mode (still holding the button, no click), switch off after 4-5sec, then switch on
  2. switch to Low mode with “click” (without holding the button), swich off, switch on

Welcome to BLF, ffrruu! I don't own the SE-2, but I do have the BD-2, which has the hidden mode feature. Here's the instructions from Balder to access:

HIDDEN MODES

Turn the light on low, wait 5 seconds it will blink, turn the light off. Then immediately turn it back on, it will activate constant strobe, intermittent strobe and SOS.

These hidden modes remain available until the activation sequence is repeated.

With hidden modes activated the light sequence is:
Strobe, Intermittent strobe, SOS, high, medium, low.

I would say if your light doesn't blink once in Low, you don't have the newer version. I hope this helps.

Ok,thanks. Mine doesn’t blink. Only when battery goes low (i think so).
I don’t want to make charges so fast, but before purchase I asked cnqualitygood which version do they send, and they told me the second one.
How can I check it? I was hunting for the best value light so long, I choosed SE-2 rev2, and got rev1?? :frowning:
I have to order BD2 for a gift, but don’t want to do business with someone who lied to me. Need to be sure.

FWIW, I think there are multiple revisions of the SE-2.

See the Balder SE-2 revision 1 review by old4570:

See the Balder SE-2 revision 2 review by old4570:

And then of course, there is the version/revision with the hidden modes (and possibly even better regulation) reviewed by UPz in this thread.

From reading about Balder, they seem to constantly be updating their torches, though it would be nice if they got it right the first time.

BTW, did you order the 3mode or 6 mode on CNQG?

ffrruu, you can email balder directly at balderlight.ma@gmail.com with questions, they seem to be very responsive. Or PM Martin at BLF User: Balder

And you are correct, the blink you are experiencing is the step down when your battery is low.

When I was placing an order (10.2012), there was no choice - only 3 mode, always starts from Hi-mode. I see that strobo modes were discovered in 03.2012, so or Balder removed that feature in newer models, or I got old stock from CNQG.

I mailed Balder twice, no response;(

—EDIT:
Got mail from Balder - there were about 10% of SE-2 lights v2 without hidden modes. The only way to check my version is measure the regulation. I have multimeter - how to do this;)?
Charge battery, use it and check the voltage every 5 mins?

How many versions are there of this light and what are the differences?

Hello — first post here.

Thanks for the review.

I have the Lighthound version, unfortunately with the hidden modes.

Before I read your instructions, I hated it so much I had planned to send it back.

It’s a lot of light for the $$, well-made with good f&f. I was looking for a budget priced, high-grade cool light that’s bright.

The downside is the size and weight — it’s larger than I imagined. The tint is more purplish than I’m used to or care for. As for the hidden modes, I hope they stay hidden.

Bottom line: It’s a bit of a mixed bag for my taste. YMMV.

I like the Lighthouse version of the SE-1 much better.