Review: Balder SE2 - 1x18650 XM-L 3 mode

Thanks old, very helpful review as always.

Balder sent me a new SE2 to review , I will test regulation differently .. The other one was a continuous run , so heat sag would have been a factor , I will try and eliminate such with the new light .. Review will be posted on the week end ...

No, as bad as most $35 lights - unregulated.

I am ignoring the time. It wasn't heat sag, it doesn't affect brightness so much. At 120C degrees heat sag is just 20%, not 50%.

1,2. Yes, that's why I haven't said a word about runtime. I'm talking about discharge curve - very characteristic for unregulated lights.

3,4. Heat sag can't be so big without damaging the emitter. Brightness decreases because there's no regulation.

5. Yes, I agree. Unregulated run with one of those cells.

Yes, 346lm is still plenty of light. But 50% loss means it's unregulated. Not regulated at all.

You cant expect regulation @ 3v

I just completed testing regulation on the newer SE2

I have been curious about this light since first reading about it enough so that I just ordered one. Having no experience with this company I know it's a throw of the dice. I am as far from an expert as one can get but when the light arrives I'll offer up some opinions on build quality and real world useage.

I was right - even though new SE-1 is brighter (=more heat), there is no heat sag at all. It means didn't sufferfrom it either. Which means it was unregulated at all.

I just got this light below. What is the difference between it and this one here? Is it just comestic differences? It's a very nice light.

My main frustration with the SE-2 is the tail button sequence. Since there is NO mode memory, each time you turn on the SE-2, it starts at a different luminosity mode which is always lower than last time it was used. Then you must click, click, click, click, click… That just stinks.

Very poor mode design of an otherwise well built light. Back it goes.
Update: I exchanged it for the BD-2 which has mode memory!

Thanks for the review. It indeed is a nice light, despite some minor issues.

So many to choose from, so little money….

Cheers! :beer: