Review: Balder TD-0 (XP-G R5, AAA/10440)

BALDER TD-0
LED: Cree XP-G R5
Battery: 1x AAA / 1 x 10440
Modes: 3 (High-Mid-Low) No Memory.
Switch: Twisty.
Price: $ 25.99
Date: January 2013
Links:
Balder / Thread in ForoLinternas / RdL

PRESENTATION:
Balder has just introduced its new AAA flashlight, named TD-0 that is not included within any of their existing ranges (HD, SE, BD).
It’s a small flashlight intended for everyday use, with some significant details that more will detail below.

The flashlight comes in the typical Balder plastic telescopic box, within which we find the flashlight along with a small manual with manufacturer’s specifications and a small bag with two spare O-Rings.

The unit that I will discuss today is black but also sells Balder TD-0 in gray and anodized a nice and original that simulates the color of sand.

EXTERIOR FINISH:
The first thing I checked after taking the flashlight out of the box, has been machining and especially its anodized. And I have seen with pleasure as Balder continues providing its excellent anodized that seen in previous models, and with that completely uniform matte so characteristic.

The machining is also very good, with grooves positioned “random” along the body of the flashlight, and circular recesses in the middle of this section, making it look very original.

The small Balder TD-0 has some significant features, with the “glass breaker” the most striking. According to the manufacturer, this small punch located right at the tail of the flashlight is machined from titanium and has the purpose to serve for breaking a glass if necessary. For the small mass and weight of the flashlight, I can’t ensure that this feature is very useful, and I hope I never have to check.

Alongside this spike, a point for attaching a ring or hook located on one side of the tube and anchored to the torch by a ring which seems to be fixed under pressure.

Inside the tube, we saw a small but sturdy spring, and in the neck we have some factory lubricated generously threads.
Interesting thing we found in this piece is also its ability to accommodate lengths slightly larger batteries than conventional. This is especially useful if you plan to feed it with rechargeable Li-Ion protected 10440. In my case, the longest 10440 I have works, very tight, but it works.

The head consists of two parts, just as in the HD-1. The central part, in silver and engraved with the logo, is the pill and contains the tiny star of 10mm with the XP-G R5, and on the inside the driver. The other piece, finished on the outside with a nice knurling, contains glass lens and a small reflector slightly textured.

OPERATION / UI:
The Balder TD-0 has three modes of memory. Always start at the High mode, and to change modes have to turn it off and turn it on quickly.
No memory, so it always start in the highest mode, which to some will seem useful and not others. In my case, this flashlight being a tool to offer auxiliary light, and hardly used as main flashlight, would have preferred a different sequence modes, but you can live with this.

The ergonomics are quite good, and the on/off and modes change operation can be performed smoothly with one hand.
Yet, due to spring if we use protected 10440 batteries, you may notice certain hardness in the twisty action since the spring exerts more pressure with these longer batteries .

At its web , Balder states sharing performance and slightly different ways as I can estimate:

Obviously, 1 Lumen low mode is a factual error, and the other two are slightly different intensities.

PERFORMANCE & BATTERY LIFE:

Sanyo Eneloop AAA NiMH (800mAh) @ 1.2V:

• High: 2100mA
  • Medium: 680mA
  • Low: 150mA

The chart faces light output against time, the curve showing typical unregulated torch performance. Brightness is dependent on the state of the battery, decreasing as the voltage is falling. It is much more pronounced in the High mode, which is under a high discharge current. Yet of the 30 or so minutes that offers with a NiMH AAA, will have relatively high power when compared to other similar flashlights.
Medium mode, more committed, enduring almost an hour with a more uniform performance.
A data noteworthy is heat dissipation. Thanks to the solution of using the central section of the head as pill, heat expands both towards the reflector as the tube and its thick walls, and prevents the heat is concentrated only in the head.

PROJECTION:

The reflector is designed for a floody projection, as it is relatively wide and shallow, and the slightly textured reflective surface projection slightly blurred, creating a rather large hotspot and a smooth transition to spill light.
Compared to other similar flashlights, the TD-0 wins in raw power but is hardly visible because its projection is markedly flooder than others. There is more light, but in a larger area.

PERSONAL CONCLUSION:
An excellent and original EDC flashlight, suitable for use on a keychain, and as auxiliary flashlight to carry in your pocket. Three well spaced modes, mechanical quality very good, very powerful and with its own characteristics. Compatible with AAA, either primary or rechargeable, and with Li-Ion, even protected up to 46.6mm long.

DQG III / UF-T1 / RA01 / E09 FL Ed / E09 / MiX6 Ti / TD-0 / M5-R5

The only downside I see being very realistic, is that the area with the knurled head should be in the center section rather than containing the lens and reflector. At times, especially when protected batteries are used, when turning the flashlight off we unthread the reflector part instead of the whole head. If the knurling area instead of being located in this part, was in the middle section, this would not happen.
I also would have liked the titanium punch was detachable for use as a real candle, especially since has the ability to be used without the reflector.

:smiley: What I like:

• Balder proven quality.
  • Powerful.
  • Original design.

:frowning: What I do not like:

• Always starts in High.
  • Can’t Tailstand.
  • Knurling misplaced.

Please, forgive my poor english! :weary:

An excellent review as usual UPz.

Although I have yet to have any problem with the pil/reflector part of the head accidentally unscrewing with my TD-0, it was a chronic problem with my HD-1.
I resolved it by putting some LocTite on the threads.

Thanks for reporting on the specs!

That’s about what I was guessing for lumens based on my natural lumen detectors :wink: I figured about 10 to 20 on on NiMH

Btw, the grey is truly a gun-metal grey. It’s really slick looking and probably my favorite color for a small to mid-sized light. I would like a green light though! Maybe I’ll finally pull the trigger on an aluminum Solarforce P1.

I received mine yesterday and have been playing today. Really is a lovely little thing and I’m smitten with it. The mode spacing is very usable and the output on a bog standard NiMH that’s really seen better days is staggering. The beam pattern works well for lighting up the path in the local park, a nice balance. I’m waiting on some 10440 to land and will be interested to see just how much brighter it is, if it’s anything like the difference I got with the SK68 when going to lithium I really will be a happy customer.

Very nice review as usual UPz, thanks for posting! Coincidentally, I ordered a tan one last night and can't wait to receive it.

Thanks UPz, great review!!

:D

Thank you guys for your replies! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the review, quite informative!!

Just to emphasize, the light cannot tail stand because it has a very useful spike.

Personally i find much more useful the spike than the tail standing feature.

This spike greatly differentiates this Balder AAA light from competition. I like it :slight_smile:

Thanks Xiotis!

What about a detachable spike (like the featured in some JB & SWM) to allow the light to tailstand?
IMHO it’s a real pity that a light like this, that can be used without the reflector part of the head for FULL flood can’t tailstand.
The Ultrafire M5-R5 can do that too, and it’s a great light, almost a candle with batteries. But unfortunately that ultrafire only has one mode.

Cheers!

You are welcome!

Detachable spike, hmm… good idea but don’t you think it is somewhat exaggerated for such a small light?
And probably it could be easily lost if we used this light as a keychain light. And more expensive? Perhaps.

To tell you the truth i never had the need to use any keychain light as standing candle. Maybe it’s just me :slight_smile:

The best idea for balder however, is to produce three versions of this nice AAA light, one with spike, one without and one with a detachable one, to keep everybody happy :bigsmile:

Many regards to Spain!

Thanks very much! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

To anyone that owns this light but has been putting off buying some 10440’s - Do it! I finally got to take a walk down the local woods last night and I was simply stunned at how much light I had. I was impressed with the SK68 when I got my 14500’s, with this the difference was even bigger. Shows my Z8 up as the piece of crap it is and makes my Q-10B look week. The run time is crap, no way I can really defend that, but what a glorious few minutes it provides while charged.

I’m now looking for R5’s in something a little larger.

… And it doesn’t heat up excessively on 10440.

On high, it gets warm but not madly so. On med or low then not really, certainly no more than with an AAA on high. Lets face it, it’s not the sort of form factor you would be using for a 3hr trek through the hills so I really don’t see it as an issue.

First, thank you for the great review! It is informational and very well comprehensible, much appreciated.

For those who don’t care too much for the glass breaker spike (like me): Upon my inquiry, Balder wrote me “you can screw off the bezel with tools. It won’t hurt the torch.”
To my understanding, the torch will work without the spike, and the user can remove the spike (fairly) easily. Can anyone confirm this, and provide information about potentially resulting tailstanding abilities? I don’t own a TD-0 yet but will probably get one if the spike can be detached. Time to replace my Olight i3s Eos…

(edit: thanks for the review, grammar; post almost identical to: Review: Balder TD-0 1 x AAA/10440, post #10)