Review CoFly KX-511 From GearBest

I did a video review of this light. I was thinking of a Group buy, but I now think it's probably not a good buy. It's an OK light, but only 1.5 amps on high, with no mode memory and having to cycle thru the modes to shut it off, it is a deal breaker for me, unless the Mfg wanted to change the driver out and if GearBest wanted to drop the "terrible fire" cells out of it.

Here's the review anyhow.

Here's a couple photos of the driver.

zswq1

zas1q

cdqa1

I have a brand-less one.
The UI indeed is a b*tch…
Shame, because otherwise it would be a fine light.
I like the integrated 3mm connection.

Same light as the Small Sun ZY-T11. I really like that light for the money. :) I made a sort of mod/overview/comparison thread on it here along with the ZY-T29. Might be useful for some....

These lights occasionally comes with different reflectors (plastic/aluminium). And slight differences in output and such. The CoFly does not have a similar driver to me ZY-T11 if I remember correctly. Its over a year since I bought mine. Nice to see see the CoFly version have gotten a more up to date emitter at least. Still the same crappy UI though. Having to cycle through strobe and sos just to get the light turn off. :Sp

I don't think there will be great response for a group buy with that UI.

Fantastic light with a NW 80+ CRI XM-L2 on copper, AR lens and Drjones awesomeness. :love: If I had a top ten of flashlights, this light would easily be on that list. After it was modded with a DrJones driver and good emitter that is.

I have some long term use on the light, and the anodizing on the threads are not that great anymore, so I cant fully trust the lock-out on mine as it is now. The rubber that seals the charging port now have a tendency to fall out a bit too easy. These were not issues when new. Both easy to fix problems though. Anodizing on my light are still quite good. It have not seen that much rough use though. I really like the feel of the switch. Some electronic side switches are a bit hard to press. The switch on this light is quite perfect IMO.

+1 with RaceR86 on this. I love these lights with my e-switch firmware and nice emitter. All those SMD's gotta go, then piggyback a Nanjg in there with e-switch firmware... Great $11 host, but that's all I consider it as.

Here's some pics of the UF ZY-T11 clone mod I did:

This one was at 3.5A with an XM-L2 U2 1A, but would be nice with a neutral or warm tint.

Hello Old-Lumens,

Thanks for your time and effort for doing such a honest and great video review, it’s impressive indeed, details in good and bad, that’s what we expect for a real review!

We will pay more attention on the cells and improve that as possible as we can, thanks again :slight_smile:

OL does the charge port have any intelligence on Li Ion charging?

Daggum Tom E…that pill must have a LOT of room for the driver…that stacked nanjg makes it look really big…did you have to shoe horn it in, I like the copper strip standoffs for the ground ring connectivity and support…very nice

Nope, it’s just a port for the wall charger and I don’t believe the wall charger is anything but a timed charge.

It does have quite good room. No problem to do a little bit of stacking. I had a 3,8A driver in one of my lights. Thats a lot of heat for a light of this size IMO. Im using a 2,8A driver in my ZY-T11 and Im happy with the output. It does not get stupid hot in no time on high and there is no need for any special cells in order to stay at peak output for a long time either.

Well, thanks to a suggestion from Pavithra_uk about the adding resistors...

I went up to 2.79 amps on high now, by adding resistors over top of the 1 ohm ones. He suggested .5 ohm ones on top of the 1 ohm ones, but all I had was .56 ohm. I put one on top of each of the three on the board. Now it's a nice bright little light.

Thanks for the review OL. I dont mind the low output on small lights. The driver as mentioned is a mystery. Maybe there is no translation to Chinese about this type of driver being next to useless without mode memory. Its a shame such a smart well built cheap little light is let down by this feature. Would you know if a pencil line drawn on the capacitor does anything?

I think it leaves a black mark on it, but I am not sure.

I really do not know what it would do.

Thanks. I'm to old to do black marks but old enough to do brown marks.