Review: Convoy 365nm UV flashlight with Nichia LED inside

Ooo, thanks Simon!

Nice review, this flashlight is an incredible deal, the best (affordable) led around in a great quality host for a good price.

The only drawback I find is that the host for this led is too big, I like my flashlights as small as is reasonable. At 700mA this led can be easily build into a smaller host. I have this same led in a tiny tube-style 16340 host, with 3 modes and an hour runtime. It does not have the throw of this zoomie, but if you do not need your UV at the other side of the park that is no problem.

Throw might be useful if your scanning for scorpions? And some minerals glow nicely.

I like the zoomie because the UV light can fanned out smoothly over and area where the reflector will have a hot spot with some spill.

As for the size, It’s not too bad. Here’s a picture of it’s ThorFire BD04 cousin next to a Zeusray. It’s also the same length as a S2+ but has a wider head. The host that I used in the review for the Int-Outdoors 365nm UV LED was the crappy counterfeit red S2+ with a Int-Outdoors 20mm AR lens. It was hard to get it at the right angle so it would cover all of the money, where the Convoy UV fanned out and covered the money with ease.

I think a zoomie would be better for amber and scorpion hunting because it can fan out the UV light evenly instead of a concentrated hotspot unless you zoom it.

Is this good for finding scorpions?

Other members here have used UV lights on scorpions. This should b e better since it doesn’t put out much visible light like the cheap 395 nm purple lights.

Hunting Scorpions with a UV light!

§corpion! UV pic§ in po§t #20

Just got this in the mail last week. I tried it on a Canadian $20 and was scratching my head over nothing happening, was it broken? Then I pulled out a American $20 and it worked great. It turns out the newer Canadian Polymer bills don’t have much or anything for the UV light to scan.

Has anyone found a source for the UV-transmitting/visible light blocking filters that fit as replacements for various standard flashlight lenses?

Gearbest or Banggood might start carrying this if we pretty please them enough. I thought Simon was going to have them but I haven’t seen any yet.

http://world.taobao.com/item/38433811959.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.Busbl0#detail

¥ 25.00 ( 约USD 3.96?)

The Convoy BD04 365nm UV is now back in stock and at a lower price. :slight_smile:

I would like to order one of these if a fellow member would kindly offer some advice. From what I read in this thread I am guessing it can be ordered and shipped to the good old U.S.A. The Aliexpress site is in German?

I have the itch and I would love to try it in my business. Dang if this site isn’t fun!

Yo Adrian!

Sure it can be shipped to north america.
The global aliexpress site is in english language.
aliexpress.com/item/convoy-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-led-inside/32550724452.html

I’m learning. Thanks

Item linked in first post now says “No longer available” :frowning:

I don’t know if I should be sad or glad! Does anyone know if a better version is replacing it or if it just didn’t sell well?
SHEiiiiiiiiT

I have to know :open_mouth: I have to have one J)

So just read the thread and use the link in my penultimate post :wink:

Just read the thread and use the link in my penultimate post :wink:

I am happy to see they are still available. I emailed Simon thru his site several days ago to order one but I have not heard back from him yet. Since he no longer carries it may be why I haven’t had a response. My first guess is that seeing how much more they are on AE he decided to drop them. Just a guess

Since I am still very new at this, along with the very high regard Simon seems to have in alot of BLF posts, I did ask him to choose 4 high quality batteries along with a charger of his choice, and a EU to USA adapter, and I would place the order as soon as I received his reply/recommendations. I also requested, if he decides he has time and doesn’t mind, to add 1 each throw-light and 1 each adjustable-lens light,( both non UV and of similar size and battery to the Convoy 365 UV ) of his choice onto the order. This was all clearly stated by me as ” a request” in my email. From what I understand he has a (small?) family business and while my increased order size will not be making him rich, I am none-the-less happy to order the additional items to show my appreciation for his time and experienced help. I do not “expect” a definite nor quick reply from him but I was and still am hoping he has time to play with it. I would still like to order everything thru him if possible but now it appears it may be unlikely. I will wait a couple of more days and see if I hear from him.

Hey, there is always the chance he will run across a box he overlooked and put my name on it :beer:

I should also mention that I am not looking for someone to hold my hand here in the forum but rather get some products in my hand asap thru someone with experience throwing me a bone. I will gladly share my thoughts on performance after trying them out but it would only relate to a “common mans use” without any technical data (obviously). I am baffled still with all the choices available for sale, and a lot of inferior products available to muddle the water, and personally crippled by my own lack of knowledge to make a comfortable decision :open_mouth:

Lastly, like a lot of other members posts I have been reading these last several weeks before joining, I am not in a position to throw money across the sea ( or anywhere for that matter) blindly. Just looking for a bone my friends and to share when I can some useful help in the future.

Peace

I have to mention one of my biggest concerns buying anything from a different supplier is knowing the product is using “identical” components as one from Simon, for example. Many threads I have read talk about getting a flashlight that came with different spec components although the info on the site appeared to be the same.

From the little I know so far, just listing nichia 365UV doesn’t mean it is the same item# from one retailer to another. More bafflement.

where did I put that bone?

The Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV Flashlight is also available:

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html?currency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2s6VuDy_ixXNZZww15WHaF92Al6j8ROXbNQbQpmejdBoCeXvw_wcB

Simon has only good and very good products.
My Convoy BD04 UV has arrived, and in comparision with my other two UV-lights (Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia, JAXMAN E3 365nm) i can say:
The BD04 is very good!

For knowing which charger/battery is good, look here:
http://lygte-info.dk/

http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Nitecore-Digicharger-Batteries-EASTSHINE/dp/B00LMR4UG0