Review: Convoy 365nm UV flashlight with Nichia LED inside

I don’t know if I should be sad or glad! Does anyone know if a better version is replacing it or if it just didn’t sell well?
SHEiiiiiiiiT

I have to know :open_mouth: I have to have one J)

So just read the thread and use the link in my penultimate post :wink:

Just read the thread and use the link in my penultimate post :wink:

I am happy to see they are still available. I emailed Simon thru his site several days ago to order one but I have not heard back from him yet. Since he no longer carries it may be why I haven’t had a response. My first guess is that seeing how much more they are on AE he decided to drop them. Just a guess

Since I am still very new at this, along with the very high regard Simon seems to have in alot of BLF posts, I did ask him to choose 4 high quality batteries along with a charger of his choice, and a EU to USA adapter, and I would place the order as soon as I received his reply/recommendations. I also requested, if he decides he has time and doesn’t mind, to add 1 each throw-light and 1 each adjustable-lens light,( both non UV and of similar size and battery to the Convoy 365 UV ) of his choice onto the order. This was all clearly stated by me as ” a request” in my email. From what I understand he has a (small?) family business and while my increased order size will not be making him rich, I am none-the-less happy to order the additional items to show my appreciation for his time and experienced help. I do not “expect” a definite nor quick reply from him but I was and still am hoping he has time to play with it. I would still like to order everything thru him if possible but now it appears it may be unlikely. I will wait a couple of more days and see if I hear from him.

Hey, there is always the chance he will run across a box he overlooked and put my name on it :beer:

I should also mention that I am not looking for someone to hold my hand here in the forum but rather get some products in my hand asap thru someone with experience throwing me a bone. I will gladly share my thoughts on performance after trying them out but it would only relate to a “common mans use” without any technical data (obviously). I am baffled still with all the choices available for sale, and a lot of inferior products available to muddle the water, and personally crippled by my own lack of knowledge to make a comfortable decision :open_mouth:

Lastly, like a lot of other members posts I have been reading these last several weeks before joining, I am not in a position to throw money across the sea ( or anywhere for that matter) blindly. Just looking for a bone my friends and to share when I can some useful help in the future.

Peace

I have to mention one of my biggest concerns buying anything from a different supplier is knowing the product is using “identical” components as one from Simon, for example. Many threads I have read talk about getting a flashlight that came with different spec components although the info on the site appeared to be the same.

From the little I know so far, just listing nichia 365UV doesn’t mean it is the same item# from one retailer to another. More bafflement.

where did I put that bone?

The Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV Flashlight is also available:

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html?currency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2s6VuDy_ixXNZZww15WHaF92Al6j8ROXbNQbQpmejdBoCeXvw_wcB

Simon has only good and very good products.
My Convoy BD04 UV has arrived, and in comparision with my other two UV-lights (Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia, JAXMAN E3 365nm) i can say:
The BD04 is very good!

For knowing which charger/battery is good, look here:
http://lygte-info.dk/

http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Nitecore-Digicharger-Batteries-EASTSHINE/dp/B00LMR4UG0

Thanks but these do not have the adjustable focus.

Hello,

I ordered Convoy 365 because of the advice of this forum. good product, thanks.

I ordered U V filter on taobao (I have family in China it’s can help). 25 mm diameter model fit perfectly. just unscrew the cap insert the filter, slightly glue it with no solvent glue and it’s perfect.

I discus this matter with Simon on Aliexpress and he told we he will sell this filter on the very comming days for a very little price, he told me cheaper than the one I bought on taobao so you can expect few usd only.

An other point, I make some test and it appears that all the basic general use industrial safety glasses made with clear polycarbonate are opaque to UV 365 nm. My prescription glasses (in polycarbonate too) are opaque to UV too I think it’s polycarbonate material by itself wbich is opaque to UV 365nm but not sure.

So I think wear basic clear safety glasses is a good point for eye safety when use this UV torch the cost of such glasses is minimal, only few USD.

it’s very easy to test, just put the glasses in front if torch lighting a fluorescent surface and check if there is a strong shadow.

I agree on the Zoomie- I prefer twist Zooms because they stay in place but the Convoy Zoom sounds great to me.

Another advantage is the Zoom lowers the (candela) concentration to be less glaring.

I got a “3 Watt ECONO Ultra Violet LED Flashlight for forensic work” to demo some UV Effects and this light is
really powerful- too powerful for” close up” work in some ways.

It lights up fluorescent materials easily at 20 or more feet even with incandescent lighting ON!
1)It has a Ultrafire WF 502B host.
2)Says it is a USA Made CREE LED.
3)I am a lighting Novice but this has some slight purple and probably slight white also but masked by the slight purple probably leakage up into 385 to 395nm range ( wild guess).
I say slight because compared to the true 365nm this LED has it is slight.
This thing is POWERFUL- my first UV LED and probably better designed for Forensic Work (not my profession) due to the Power and no need to turn off the lights(!)
4) I would prefer a 1/3 power setting and a Zoom on this light as I said-
Wild guess that a UV Bandpass filter will work well to render it “nearly invisible”.

5)This was my first Amazon purchase ever and with expedited shipping $21.99 light and $5.99 shipping -got here in 3 days !
I will probably get a filter for this - what size do I get ?

And would prefer the Convoy Zoom but 1 month too long to wait for now.

How bright is it ?
With a low wattage 20 watt incandescent bulb lampshade it lights up fluorescent material brightly easily at 10 feet away.
Scorpion hunting ? I never tried it but with this Light you could locate the scorpion and probably kill it at very close range…( too cruel but just an example lol).

This light had a graph with a narrow peak around 365nm- it is not the “purple mess” of most of the Ultrafire Wf 502b lights but is mostly 365nm with some slight white light leakage and a tiny bit of violet.

I may stick a 25mm filter on there…and may get the BD O4 with Zoom Nichia if only about $36.less 20% now ?

The fellow I’ve swapped mail with — who’s done an excellent writeup on the UV vision some of us have after cararact surgery — has a warning label made up to add to flashlights if you have one that’s missing the cautionary information:

He has also tested some ZWB2s that I sent him and posted the results (they’re superior to the “Woods Glass” filter he’d been using)

Now this bypass filter you are talking about, where would one find something like that?
I have a Solarforce L2P with a Customlites UV 365nm P60 drop-in. Do they make a ZWB2 that would fit my light and filter out all the visible light?

Nice label. Thanks! And thank your friend, too! :slight_smile:

Looks like none of the UV lights referenced above are available anymore:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/convoy-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-led-inside/32550724452.html

and
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/convoy-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-led-inside/330416_32405584869.html

Anyone has this one ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/S2-black-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-365UV-in-side/330416_32515105965.html

I think most of us have the last one you posted. It’s a great UV light, especially with the UV filter. I got the short tube for mine.

Illuminating the pick guard on my bass from 6’ away. The filter does a really nice job eliminating much of the visible light.

nice shot,
If I understand correctly, this S2+ UV doesn’t have a zoom.

Is Zoom useful or not to have when using the UV light outside

I have exactly the same as yours - short tube + filter. I wonder why short tube is not in standard package…if it draws about 700ma (as far as I remember) - who needs about 4h runtime in UV? It’s rather for very short inspection, so let’s say 45min is perfectly fine for most.

I think a UV led in a zoomie is a nice combination, but most of the zoomies have a plastic polycarbonate lens which does not transmit 365nm very well. Some (mostly the larger) zoomies have a glass lens.

the not have a zoom is ok, you see stuff in the spill and can inspect it in hotspot
on ther side hotspot is often too bright then you can light it with spill

with filter

without filter

Thanks :slight_smile: I wasn’t aware of they made a zoomie version until I discovered this thread last night. I think it’s no longer available.
I see I missed a word. It should have read “I think most of us” I shouldn’t post late at night when I’m about to fall asleep.