Review: Convoy 365nm UV flashlight with Nichia LED inside

I think most of us have the last one you posted. It’s a great UV light, especially with the UV filter. I got the short tube for mine.

Illuminating the pick guard on my bass from 6’ away. The filter does a really nice job eliminating much of the visible light.

nice shot,
If I understand correctly, this S2+ UV doesn’t have a zoom.

Is Zoom useful or not to have when using the UV light outside

I have exactly the same as yours - short tube + filter. I wonder why short tube is not in standard package…if it draws about 700ma (as far as I remember) - who needs about 4h runtime in UV? It’s rather for very short inspection, so let’s say 45min is perfectly fine for most.

I think a UV led in a zoomie is a nice combination, but most of the zoomies have a plastic polycarbonate lens which does not transmit 365nm very well. Some (mostly the larger) zoomies have a glass lens.

the not have a zoom is ok, you see stuff in the spill and can inspect it in hotspot
on ther side hotspot is often too bright then you can light it with spill

with filter

without filter

Thanks :slight_smile: I wasn’t aware of they made a zoomie version until I discovered this thread last night. I think it’s no longer available.
I see I missed a word. It should have read “I think most of us” I shouldn’t post late at night when I’m about to fall asleep.

Take a look at theese yet still available UV flashlights:
tinywind.com/jaxman-365nm-modes-18650-flashlight-black-p-17090.html
aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-JAXMAN-365nm-UV-Flashlight-Torch-for-Fluorescent-Security-Detection-Stamp-Banknotes-Identify/32327280432.html

aliexpress.com/store/product/S2-black-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-365UV-in-side/330416_32515105965.html?storeId=330416
aliexpress.com/item/S2-black-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-365UV-in-side/32515105965.html
banggood.com/Convoy-S2-365nm-UV-Single37-Modes-SMO-Reflector-LED-Flashlight-p-967480.html
banggood.com/Convoy-S2-Nichia-365nm-UV-LED-1Mode-OP-Reflector-Flashlight-p-1024097.html
banggood.com/Nichia-3W-365nm-UV-High-Power-LED-Flashlight-118650-p-965451.html
banggood.com/Seoul-Visors-Chip-365nm-3w6w-UV-Light-35-Modes-Flashlight-p-1017115.html
gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html

I do have the Convoy BD04 UV (zoom), it’s very advanced for searching areas in comparision to fixed lens lights.

Thanks Angerdan, for the links.
I guess I will take your advice and wait for a zoom lense version of a UV light.
thanks again

Does anyone know if they are bringing the Convoy BD04 UV (zoom) back? It seamed very short lived, I wanted one after seeing the review on here, but couldn’t find one for sale anywhere.
In the end I bought the Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia and recommend lense from Simon.
It’s really good
But I’d still like to get the Convoy BD04 UV zoom

I would be interested as well in a zoomable BD04 UV.

Great deal on the "ThorFire" BD04 for $10, same light as the Convoy BD04 in every detail, but unfortunately this is US Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QLQQTW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 4 and have been modding them with adding 7135's, re-programming the 13A with Biscotti and swapping to a better LED.

Would this light be good for blood tracking? My boss and his sons are big hunters and know I’m into flashlights. My edc is the most powerful light they have seen. As most muggles would think. My boss asked me to find him a good light for blood tracking. Now that hunting season is kicked off. Can anyone help?

My understanding is that blood doesn’t fluoresce without help (luminol for example). He’d probably be better off with a bright/floody beam with a tint that would help the natural red stand out against the leaf litter etc. (not the bluish tints).

Thank you Tom,

Looks like a great project.
where do you source your parts? Especially the LED Nichia UV?

The Convoy BD04 with Nichia UV365 seems to be discontinued, I wonder if one can still request Simon to do a Convoy BD04 with Nichia UV365 LED…

Someone was asking me if the Convoy S2/S2+ with UV LED can be used with the 45-degree or 60-degree TIR optic since he found the S2 UV to have a very focused (spot) UV beam. Would using a 45-degree or 60-degree TIR optic work for the Convoy S2+ UV flashlight? If not, then maybe will have to request Simon of Convoy to do another Convoy BD04 with UV365 for a floody UV beam…

If you look back in the thread it is stated that TIR optics are made of PMMA, which does not transmit UV. So don’t use a TIR optic, just leave it as a mule and a ZWB2 filter.

Thanks, Scientist!

But would a mule lose too much UV ‘light’ output? Or just make the beam floody?