Review: Convoy M2 (2014) XM-L2 18650- updated: 17/09/14

That is interesting to know, thanks for the info. Do we know that the optic won’t fit the M2?

Nice pictures.
What’s with the, ehem, finger protectors?

Great! I might have to grab one to try.

Reflector refuse to exit by itself, despite removing the front elements.

Do you have a link for Carclo MT-G2?

No, it won’t fit the M2, I tried that one first. The M1 with MTG and optic is one of my all time favorites.

thanks for the breakdown. Do you know the thickness of the pill top (ie: MCPCB shelf)? Does the driver retaining ring clamp down on the 7135's?

I went for the photo approach as I find it more easier for me. For this model, I guess most readers are only interested with the build quality and dimensions for mod purpose. I am not going to cover too much on the performance aspect.

Looking forward with your review.

Why is the aluminum shelf considered better than having a brass pill? The conduction between the shelf and the body might be better, but the mass will be less and the the conduction from the MCPCB will be less.

Ok - I see your pic of the driver and retaining ring - real slick, best setup I've seen for modding the driver... Easy for a BLF17DD upgrade too, looks like.

I just ordered the host from FT - they upgraded the pictures, removing the ones from the old style host, so definitely the 2014 style. They also added a whole bunch of M2 configurations in the $23-$25 price range.

Thanks freeme! Look'n forward to RaceR86's review as well.

Wish there was an SMO reflector option - wonder if a P60 reflector would fit... Can you tell?

Well, this shelf appears to be integrated - either press fit or one piece with the body (ie uni-body), so the conductance should be very good. Brass ones are almost always threaded fits. It's been debated brass vs. alum -- brass has the advantage you can reflow the MCPCB directly to it for sure, so, in theory maybe the brass is better because if the MCPCB <-> pill top junction is better, priority is always on junctions closer to the LED. Hard to say for sure... Again, very debatable, and don't think any real, practical comparative tests have been done, or can be done because you need identical designs.

To me, if the alum integrated MCPCB shelf is much thicker than typical brass pill tops, advantage to the aluminum integrated version, but if the alum surface is not perfectly flat, then not so good.

Would these have a compatible extension tube somewhere?

Yes, FT sells extension tubes and they sell the bare hosts too. I was thinking about doing an MT-G2 with this too, but the issue of an uneven thin shelf with no pill was holding back.

Extension tube for Convoy? I have never seen it before. I only know people asking for C8 extension tube but it only fit Ultrafire one.

Shelf looks pretty flat to me, maybe a few chatter marks , how thin is the shelf
Edit to add …never mind i see you said you forgot to measure thickness

Thanks for posting this…great pics. But now I want one!

Never measure. 1~2mm maybe. Let RaceR86 answer your question. He should be done with this review soon. The retain clamp down outer edge of the ring, not on the chip itself.

Glad you like it. I want another one for XP-L too. Haha. Waiting for Simon to drop us a deal.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007058/1575200-aluminum-alloy-extension-tube-for-1-18650-c8-led

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002463/1277300-convoy-m2-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host

Any idea about the size of the retaining screw? If not, it isn't a big deal as I could just take the entire head to the hardware store.

I can't wait to receive mine! Been using my L2P a lot, but the weird placement of the lanyard ring is a bit annoying. This looks like a good upgrade that may do well with higher currents.

The screws shown in pic are 4.40mm countersunk head x 2.39mm thread dia x 5.92mm length.