Review: DQG III AAA (Comparison to DQG Tiny II -> The best just got better!)

Woops! Missed that. I didn't want the magnet anyway. Just as well, because I couldn't remember my password to the site, & the reminder wasn't relevant. Ah well.

Well, it's only saving 5$ (or even only 3$ if taking non-registered mail at the CNQG site)... or about 10%-15% from the total cost if ordered only 1 item (which most people don't).

Also, I think group buys only take off towards their end time, so don't lose faith! :)

I still cannot decide R4 or R5. Is the DQG III's R4 cooler or warmer than the Xeno e03 NW? I don't want it warmer than the E03 NW.

No, I don't want to get both.

Nice review. Thank you for doing this for us.

How it is comparing head to head with DQG II?

Same lenght? Same weight?

You mention that current draw is higher - DQG III become brighter?

And, please, give us some outdoor shots if possible.

(can't wait for mine ones, ordered both: NW & CW)

It's pretty much 1:1 with DQG II. Length, weight, and brightness. All of the good things of DQG II are still the same.

=> my beamshots of DQG II vs. Preon P0 are still valid.

Thanx for reply, but does brightness stay same with increased current? So worther runtimes@ same brightness?

Also Do You have an outdoor beamshot of CW version of DQG III? Spring is outdoor - no need to freeze, while taking a pictures ;)

Sorry if boring. Iam sometimes a bit pedantical. Trying to look in details.

are these batteries that work well with this light?

No, these use regular AAA.

No. This light is not compatible with 10440s.

I have been using OEM Energizer Ultimate Lithium primaries, something like these, and been very happy with them.

Just ordered (2) R4 NW. Total ordered was showing 13, so now should be 15, FWIW. I had a CW and NW from earlier batch. Gifted the CW. Great keychain light!

price is down to 30.00US$ shipped (with tracking) for the NW version, no more NW units left (NW gb closed!).

Group buy for the CW closes soon!

(btw, i am holding off. let's see if the construction/design/looks of the Titanium version is nicer and if there is a real gain in weight loss. iTP A3 aluminum weighs 9grams and is larger! am also looking to other desirable purchases, maybe some LM charg tti, NC i4 v2 or Tank E09 V3 .. all in groub buy form)

Did they send anyone's order?

Mine is still in the "preparing" stage with some strange text at the bottom saying "Booking process: Don't shipping until all products on deck.".

Haven't heard a dicky bird from them at all - just the Paypal notice taking $32 from me. Think we might be in for the long haul here. Mind you, I can't log into my account with them - forgot the password - but assumed they might email to let me know when they send it.

Didn't get in on the GB but ordered one from CNQG in NW. On a tiny light kick lately, just received my first Maratac AA. Still exploring the multitude of these double and triple "a" lights. Looking forward to this one.

I didn't buy from the group buy, but I got 10, 5 mag, 5 Glow, all NW. I guess that its good that I didn't group buy because the GB is limited to 30 units.

Anyway, I find that the DQG AAA III NW has a noticeably warmer tint this time round, probably more in the 5-6 tint region, compared to a 4 tint region for the DQG II. It is also a little on the pink/red side of neutral.

Secondly I find the machining to be less accurate than my II. On my II the threads would have almost no slop, Amazingly tight for a light of its size and in SS at the price so it was very smooth, but on the new III, the threads have a lot more slop, and this results in less thread contact and therefore very noticeably rougher threads. Its not very bad, but its disappointing when the II was actually smoother.

It is all pretty consistent across all 10 units I have, so not a once off either, unless my units are from a certain batch...

Im hoping that the titanium version that is made will try to address this machining accuracy issue and improve on the tolerances. I will pay a little more for that accuracy if they can actually noticeably improve on it.

okwchin, thanks for posting your impressions. So disappointing regarding tint and head slop! Are you sending them back? I ordered 2 NW but haven't gotten shipping notice so I think I will cancel my order for now.

Can you tell if it is the threads on the head or the threads on the body (or both) that is rougher? It would be interesting to see if you have the time to do a comparison by putting the head of the III on the II and vice versa. That's a pretty sad thing to hear. I have 3 on the way. Will update when they're here on thread roughness.

Thanks Okwchin for your comments.

It is somewhat disappointing to hear, and I hope it is not excessively loose, but the way I look at it; no light is perfect. Some may offer more value for the money but generally you mostly get what you pay for. I would think a light this small at this price should be made with decent machining specs and of good quality material. But regardless, I'll be patiently awaiting it's arrival and will determine if I feel that the light is worthy of the selling price. If so I may buy more and I will keep an eye on DQG for future offerings; if not, most likely it will be my first and last.

I doubt it will change for the Ti version as I'm sure they don't want it to cold weld.